Radeberg Travel Guide

the new gleaming Radeberger Brewery
  • oddly enough Radeberger was the first to USA
    oddly enough Radeberger was the first to...
    by richiecdisc
  • the new stainless steel vessels at Radeberger
    the new stainless steel vessels at...

Radeberg Things to Do

by richiecdisc Updated Jun 17, 2011

You can find Radeberg's top notch Pilsner just about anywhere in Dresden and now in many large cities around Germany, but drinking it where it is made is always special and if you come all this way to do that, you may as well do a tour of the brewery. This needs to be prearranged but for 9€ you get a fairly lengthy tour (unfortunately only available in German) of their sparkling facility. The brewery was completely refurbished after the fall of the Iron Curtain. At the conclusion of the tour you sit at benches and watch a movie about the brewery and are served a fresh class of their signature Pilsner. The also provide some nice rolls to snack on and then comes the true treat of the tour, a class of their very tasty and super fresh Zwickelbier. This is an unfiltered version of the pils but it shows you just how much filtering changes not only the appearance of a beer but also the taste. It is a much fruitier brew and though not quite as bitter it retains its hallmark dryness. Very tasty indeed. Depending on where you sit, you can get more than one of each beer so try to sit up front. If they see you have finished your beer, they will offer another. We unfortunately were in the back of the movie seating area and only got one of each. Thankfully, some in our party could not even drink their two beers and I was more than happy to help them with theirs.

A nice touch is after you finish, they invite you to come up to wash your glass and they provide a box so you can bring it home with you. Radeberg's glasses are some of the nicest in Germany and make for a great souvenir.

the new stainless steel vessels at Radeberger squeaky clean indeed the bottling line the family arrives for their tour D & family enjoy a collective Zwickelbier

Radeberg Hotels

• Hotel und Pension Muellers Gasthof

Hauptstrasse 21, Radeberg, Lower Saxony, 01454, Germany

Radeberg Restaurants

by richiecdisc Updated Jul 4, 2011

The Radeberger Baurerei Ausschank is certainly an atmospheric old restaurant set in an impressive hotel that surely is the town of Radeberg's key architectural feature. With a lot of old world charm and enough wood to make a campfire-building boy scout's mouth water, I immediately forgot about its Dresden counterpart which I assumed would put this closer to the actual brewery eatery to shame. Of course such potential comes with correspondingly high expectations which are rarely lived up to. We enjoyed a few beers prior to our scheduled tour and returned afterward for a meal that was disappointing at best.

Favorite Dish: All the great décor in the world cannot save an eatery from poor food. After all, you do come to a restaurant to eat. The service was spot on and it was somehow hard to fathom that the meal did not live up to its setting but that it did not. I ordered Schweinshaxe (€9.80) even though it is a Bavarian specialty. I hadn't had it in some time and nothing else on the menu really interested me. It was reasonable enough in price and when it came out it was obviously ample and looked good. Actually, it wasn't truly bad but lacked the crunchy skin that is the meal's hallmark feature. I was trying to enjoy my meal as best I could since I was being treated to the tour and meal but soon realized that my meal was one of the better ones and that everyone else was even less happy with their food than I was! The special of wild mushrooms was particularly bad and my wife and her sister had both ordered it only to be served tough and bitter specimens that must have been sitting around for some time. So much for special.

So, the place is definitely worth a peek and while there you may as well have a Zwickelbier (€3.10 for .5L). This is truly the reason to come here. It is an unfiltered version of Radeberger's signature Pilsner but the hazy look does more than just make for a different appearance. The lack of filtering brings out a fruity character to the otherwise bitter hoppy beer but it still retains a nice dry flavor and clean finish. It is only available here and in the AusschankSpezial in Dresden. You will get one for free at the end of the tour if doing it but this is still an atmospheric place to have another before returning to whence you came.

the questionable but certainly edible Haxen a great old wooden pub classy bar in the Kaiserhof Hotel a grand exterior had my hopes up very high attention to detail in all but the food
    • Photography

Radeberg Transportation

by richiecdisc Written Jun 16, 2011

Radeberg is easy enough to get to from Dresden, Saxony's showcase capital. By car, it's 18 kilometers of somewhat winding roads in a northeast direction through the Dresdener Forrest. Of course, if going for the brewery tour or to drink your share of the brewery's great beer, you should opt for a short 25 minute S-Bahn trip. Group tickets are available and reasonably priced.

Radeberger's old copper kettles are worth the trip
    • Trains

Radeberg Shopping

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

by aliante1981 Written Mar 27, 2003

What to buy: I know I might have put something of a less general nature as the first shopping tip
    for Radeberg:)) However, beer overshadows almost anything else you might procure for yourselves in this town.

Besides, it's always a pleasure to get an article exactly at the place of its origin. It's somewhat cheaper, too:))

You can get either bottles, or boxes of bottles, or else huge barrels (although this is not the ideal present in the matter of weight).

Souvenirs bearing the mark (bear glasses, table cloths etc) are another good option -- and less heavy to burden yourselves with:))

Radeberg Local Customs

by richiecdisc Written Jun 16, 2011

Though Radeberg dates back in some form to 1219 and was the proud owner of a castle a mere 150 years later, it was not until silver was found in the sounding hills that things really took off. Though the silver supply didn't last, one of those things sure did, their brewery: Radeberger. Founded in 1872, it was the first in Germany to brew exclusively in the Pilsner style which now predominates the country. It was also the first to export beer to the United States and hence its name change to the current Radeberger Exportbierbaurerei.

a great historical brewery: Radeberger great old B&W photo of old wooden kegs

Radeberg Favorites

by richiecdisc Written Jun 16, 2011

Fondest memory: Radeberg was not the rich town I had envisioned though it was easy to see it had once been. It had not withered the effects of the Iron Curtain well despite its brewery being easily the most successful in Saxony. Still, the brewery was squeaky clean and modernly impressive and though the staff did little to endear their beer to us, the beer is still one of the great German Pils. The meal that followed was also disappointing but the old world pub it was served in was a fantastic reminder of what must have been in the city of Radeberg at one time. It did not equal one of my planned excursions but to be fair, it was not the fault of my father-in-law. He was fighting an old war and one that was lost a long time ago. Only time can heal such wounds and though things get better with time, there is still a long way for them to go and no assurance that a full return will ever come to pass. But at the end of the day I had finally made it to Radeberg and hoped for beery experience was now another feather in my cap. Oh, and that feather if taken as the beer in question fared just fine. Radeberger, the beer, lived up to its legend and drinking it where it is made is always a fresh pleasure.

Radeberger's Zwickel beer is a fresh pleasure

by richiecdisc Updated Jun 16, 2011

Fondest memory: So, I guess it should not have come as a surprise that on our arrival one day after a long time away that he's have something beery up his sleeve. He had planned an excursion for me and it was pretty obvious that it was to a brewery. We had been to my two local favorites, Rechenberger and Freiberger, a few times, the latter as a surprise birthday meal so I knew it couldn't be either of them. Immediately, I thought of Radeberger but didn't want to spoil anything so kept my mouth shut. To be fair, there weren't all that many great breweries in the area, it being ravaged by the Communistic Sweep that killed small enterprise after East Germany was consumed following WWII. The drive over didn't help as though I might not have the keenest sense of geography I knew pretty well where Radeberg was, having spied it on the map numerous times when contemplating a trip there myself. But it never came to pass and even if this was not going to be the total surprise he was planning, I wasn't about to mar an excursion I'd been hoping for anyway. Thankfully, due to the small winding road nature of the area, the route was not so direct nor obviously apparent, so I didn't have to overact my confusion as to where we were headed. I even feigned a decent look of surprise when we pulled into town, my father-in-law proud of his accomplishment. Popeyed or not, I was happy to be there. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

the new gleaming Radeberger Brewery

by richiecdisc Written Jun 16, 2011

Fondest memory: Being an American living in Germany can lead to some unusual situations, especially when you are married to a German woman and are a self-confessed “beer nut” or aficionado as I'd rather be typecast. As most of the world might like to further generalize in prejudiced fashion, Germany is at the center of the brewing universe and America is a castoff confined to Bud Light and other weightless pleasures. Of course, the aficionado knows better and truth be known, America now brews some of the world's great beers, often surpassing the stylistic prototypes they are loosely based on. But I'm not here to argue such conjecture, I add this only to shed light on my predicament as an American in a beery paradise inhabited by a less-than-totally-informed populace. Germany does brew some amazingly great beer. It's just unfortunate that Germans are often not interested in finding them and are quite content to drink the same beer every day much as their looked down upon counterparts in the US slurp their Bud. Of course, I'd rather be doing that with Augustiner Helles but that doesn't keep me from checking on the other side of the fence whenever I can. This very checking has always impressed my father-in-law who unlike most Germans also likes to try different beers. On more than one occasion, we've brought him to places he'd have never seen, to a beer he'd not have tasted otherwise, and generally brought a smile to his face. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

oddly enough Radeberger was the first to USA

Instant Answers: Radeberg

Comments

Radeberg Travel Guide
Map of Radeberg