Weesenstein Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Weesenstein

Café Kaiserstübl

by german_eagle Written May 18, 2013

The tiny village Weesenstein itself has a cafe, too - Kaiserstübl, right on the main street and vis-a-vis of the bigger parking lot. You pass it when walking from/to the train stop, too.

It's a lovely small place, cosy interior, and nice terrace for warm weather. Very good, friendly service. I totally love their kind of entertainment: a bird that had comments on everything that happened around him, see pic 5 :-)

They bake excellent cakes, have yummy ice-cream, and the coffee/tea is also very good. Prices are very reasonable, too. I went in a couple of times, not only after visiting the castle but also when passing through Weesenstein on other occasions, like skiing in the Erzgebirge mountains (Altenberg) e.g.

Schlossbrauerei

by german_eagle Updated May 18, 2013

After a break of more than 130 years the microbrewery in the castle reopened in 1999, reviving a tradition since 1510. I was there twice so far and both times enjoyed the beer very much - it has a strong flavour, IMO somewhat non-typical for a Pilsener. Food is simple, once we had a big potato in the skin, curd and gherkin. Tasty and inexpensive.

The brewery occupies historic rooms, rustic ambience, access from the second courtyard, and the terrace overlooking the valley - beautiful view.

Closed on Mondays. In winter on weekdays open in the evenings only, in summer from 11 am on.

• Beer Tasting

Schlosscafé

by german_eagle Updated May 17, 2013

At the end of the tour through the castle you stumble upon the Schlosscafé. As the name indicates, it is more a café than a restaurant, although they do serve small dishes and not just coffee and cake. However, when we were there it was later in the afternoon, and so we did have a piece of their yummy black currant cake and a cup of cappuccino. The check was 9 Euro for the two of us.

Service was very friendly, the waitress took (and obviously had) the time to chat a bit with us. Interesting stories, she talked about the events/readings/recitals with rather famous German actors, writers and singers in the castle.

In winter closed Mon, Tue and in summer closed Wed, Thur.

Königliche Schlossküche

by german_eagle Updated May 17, 2013

The "Schlossküche" restaurant is in some historical rooms in the second courtyard of the castle. No need to pay an entrance fee for this one. Rustic, cosy, charming ambience. The service is very good, friendly and quick.

I was there for lunch on a cold, snowy day in winter. Closed on Mon/Tue.

The dishes have odd names, refer to medieval times. But no worries, there's an explanation on the menu, too :-)

Favorite Dish: I had a "Pfeffersüpplin", which is a sort of French onion soup - yummy. Highlight, and totally unexpected here, was the next course. I had chose an appetizer, and in combination with the soup it was absolutely enough for lunch: Prunes, wrapped in serrano ham, roasted on a spit, with slices of soft cheese (Camembert, I think) and salad. Delicious!! I also had a 0.3 l glass of beer, Meißner Schwerter which is a microbrewery from the region. Also very good.

The check was 13.10 Euro. Excellent value for the money.

• Castles and Palaces

• amsor's Profile Photo

Königliche Schlossküche zu Wesenstein: nice place

by amsor Updated Aug 6, 2010

This is a nice restaurant in the castle of Wesenstein and also has some nice, old furniture.
    Königliche Schlossküche zu Wesenstein, doesnt that sound very good already ? Sorry I do not have photos here, but there are many photos in my link !

Favorite Dish: I took a beer and some local dish, it was good but I do not remember the name of that dish.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Schlossbrauerei: Rustic microbrewery

by Kathrin_E Written Oct 1, 2008

Passing through all the courtyards of the palace you reach the brewery restaurant at the far end. This rustic place includes a small outdoor seating with four tables that overlooks the valley and the garden.

The pub is a microbrewery, the local beer is a speciality, tasty and quite strong.
    The menu is short and contains about five or six local dishes.

The decoration and the dress of the staff pretend to be medieval style. Sometimes the landlord will make some medieval music, sing and tell a couple of rather dirty jokes - if he has an audience who can be expected to like them. (He didn't try with us.)

Favorite Dish: I had a baked potato, a huge one, with garlic cream - a plain but nice dish. The more than sufficient amount of cream deserves an honourable mentioning.

Brewery restaurant, outdoor seating Baked potato and garlic cream Hop fruits on the pergola
    • Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Schloss Weesenstein Brauerei: all this and a brewery too

by richiecdisc Written Aug 30, 2006

D’s father had told us about this place on my very first visit to Saxony but we never managed to find it. Oh, we found the castle but not the brewery. In our defense, it was brutally cold out, the castle itself appeared closed and we didn’t know where in the castle the brewery was. We are glad we kept looking on the Internet when the idea of having the wedding in Germany materialized. Still, we needed to check it out in person before deciding to do it there. The cozy pub area was all wood and the brewer was a jack of all trades, playing the flute, bagpipes, singing, joking and well, making the beer. There is an outside area overlooking the castle grounds too. Unfortunately, it was not possible to reserve it for the wedding reception since there was a medieval festival going on. Instead, we had the party in the cave-like cellar where the beer is traditionally stored.

Favorite Dish: On our first visit, we had goulash in a home-made bread bowl and flat bread filled with cheese, ham, and herbs. The menu is limited but certainly pairs well with the brewery's great hoppy beer. For the wedding reception we had roast pig, beans & ham, potatoes, and great home-baked bread with a spread of pork/duck fat as an appetizer. A wooden barrel of beer rounded out the meal well!

the roasted pig went over well with everyone hot waitress a plus
    • Castles and Palaces

do it yourself :-): Picnic

by german_eagle Written May 7, 2004

If you like to bring your own food you can have a picnic in the garden, the nearby woods or even in a picnic room in the building where the cash desk is located (for bad weather).

I was surprised there is such a room where you can eat your own - brought - food. I asked for a place for picnic and they were not embarrassed or so, but directed me to the room upstairs with tables and chairs. I am assuming this one might be frequented by school kids quite often.

However, on a nice day you better go to the beautiful garden below the castle (free) and have your picnic there.

Instant Answers: Weesenstein

Comments

Weesenstein Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Weesenstein restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Weesenstein sightseeing.