Wurzen Off The Beaten Path

  • Off The Beaten Path
    by german_eagle
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by german_eagle
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by german_eagle

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Wurzen

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Mill company

    by german_eagle Written Sep 24, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    Southwest of the old town, close to the Mulde river, is the Wurzener pastry/food company that now belongs to Griesson - de Beukelaer (see shopping tip also). The company was founded in 1847 by Johann Friedrich Krietzsch, who bought the mill from the town administration. 1918 - 20 the new plant was erected by architect Max Fricke, the two huge towers landmarks of Wurzen since then.

    You can spot the towers of the mill from far outside the town, but also from my favourite viewpoint, the parking lot (see General Tip). Part of the factory complex are also two large blocks, extending from the towers, in the tradition of large food magazines, a workshop, bakery, heating building, gatehouse with clocktower(pic 1) and former stables. Quite impressive.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Crostigall

    by german_eagle Written Sep 24, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The small alley that (roughly) leads from the main parish church St. Wenceslai in western direction (Leipzig) is one of the earliest settlements in Wurzen, first mentioned "in Crostigalo" in a document in 1340. The look of the alley and the townhouses has not changed much since about 1700 - mostly nicely restored, though.

    Interesting buildings are the former stage post, the gate from 1734 (pic 3) and the birthplace of writer Joachim Ringelnatz from 1678 (pic 4). Quite interesting also the elevated sidewalks on the western end of the alley (pics 1 and 2).

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Old Cemetery

    by german_eagle Written Sep 24, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The first thing you see after leaving the train station is the former old cemetery from 1548, a public park since 1975.

    Pictures 1-3 show the monument for the more than 700 fallen soldiers from Wurzen in WWI, erected 1929/30. The sculptures, created by Georg Wrba, are under a wide pointed arch of stone. Pillars, with engraved names of the soldiers, extending on two sides from the arch form a sort of court of honor.

    In the middle of the park is a former chapel from 1687 (pics 4, 5), commemorating the victims of the Black Death in 1607, called "PesthÀuschen".

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Wurzen

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

125 travelers online now

Comments

Wurzen Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Wurzen off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wurzen sightseeing.

View all Wurzen hotels