Zittau Favorites

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Father aparently knows best

by richiecdisc Written May 26, 2007

the desolate but beautiful cemetery

Favorite thing: Though the entire town was pretty devoid of tourists especially on this very chilly mid-week winter visit, once you got out of the center, you really had the place to yourself. The cemetery was particularly empty and was in the perfect position to reap the full benefits of the setting winter sun.

Fondest memory: Sometimes you lead and other times you follow. I tend to do a lot of the former but I am not too full of myself to not know a good ride when I see one. When you marry into a family that speaks a language foreign to your own you have to learn to listen closely, even if you don’t understand a lot of what is being said. When my father-in-law dragged me to Görlitz last year I saw Bautzen en route and thought he’d missed the point entirely. I was proven wrong when his choice turned out to be even better. Wanting to head to Bautzen on a subsequent trip he again came up with another unheard of to me town called Zittau. Who was I to argue, he’d already shown me he knew a thing or two about getting off the beaten path. So, I succumbed to his choice as long as we could stop in at mine on our way. Oh, and of course, I had some beery plans to spring into action when it came time to eat. Unfortunately the brewery I had chosen for Bautzen was closed for renovations and Zittau didn’t seem to present itself with much according to my beer guide. My father-in-law had spent time working in Zittau when it was still the GDR so we gave into his restaurant selection and were pleasantly surprised to find what was obviously a great little beer hall in its day. It had gone a bit upscale but still retained much of its glory day charm. Not only was the food excellent but I even found a very tasty beer I’d never hear of before. It led us to a local beer store where I found more from the same brewery. As it turned out the beers were better than those of Bautzen. I can’t exactly say my father-in-law knew this in advance but at the same time I was man enough to admit he had been right once again.

• Architecture
    • Beer Tasting

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Where the hell am I

by Leipzig Updated Sep 22, 2004

Favorite thing: One day I wanted to drive to Reichenberg (Liberec) (Czech Republic) for shopping and sight-seeing. I followed the signs towards Reichenberg and arrived the frontier. I just had to hold my ID card on the window and could pass. I was quite surprised that the Czechs had hoisted the Polish flag and road signs were written in Polish. I stopped to the right and had a look in my road map to find out why I crossed the wrong border. Thereby I noticed that there is no direct road from Zittau to Liberec - you just have to drive 5km through Polish territory.
    And indeed, after 5km I crossed the Polish/Czech border.

Instant Answers: Zittau

Comments

Zittau Favorites

Reviews and photos of Zittau favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zittau sightseeing.