Zittau Restaurants

Bauernroulade
    Dornspachhaus

Most Recent Restaurants in Zittau

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Schwerdtners Cafe "Am Marsbrunnen"

by german_eagle Written Sep 20, 2015

End of March 2015 the small-ish, family run bakery chain Schwerdtner (main shop in Löbau) opened a Cafe right on Markt square in a historic townhouse. When we visited on second weekend in September the same year the cafe was very busy (European Heritage Day). There were tables outside by the fountain and inside on the ground floor, the upper floor was closed. The interior is beautiful, with stylish furniture, large mirrors on the walls, huge chandeliers ... sort of Neo-Baroque.

We ended up having a little problem with service (which was quick and attentive), but between the many costumers and a very recently hired waitress it was partially understandable, and after a complaint it was sorted out to our satisfaction. It won't keep me from going back, I actually will give it another try soon.

Favorite Dish: We chose a table inside, my mother picked a piece of plum cake (fine, 1,70 Euro) plus a cup of decaf coffee (ok, 1,80 Euro), and a "Schlemmerbecher" (layers of raspberry jam, dark and white mousse au chocolate, thin dark chocolate on top, and a raspberry for decoration - delicious! 2.40 Euro) and a cappuccino (2.30 Euro, pretty good) for me.

cafe to the left Inside the cafe, ground floor cherry cake Inside the cafe, ground floor

Historisches Wirtshaus "Dornspachhaus"

by german_eagle Updated Sep 18, 2015

Right next to Johannis church, in the centre of the old town, is a very nice restaurant, named "Historisches Wirtshaus (Historical Inn) Dornspachhaus", in the oldest Patrician house of Zittau. Inside it is rustic, very cosy, with a romantic patio and arcades.

Very good service, very friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: Only had an ice cream - delicious. I did not see anyone complain about food :-)

Update: Jan 24 2006 I had another meal in the Dornspachhaus. They had Hungarian week, so I chose Schnitzel with Letscho and potatoes, pancakes with fruits and ice cream as dessert plus red Hungarian wine and mineral water, finally a coffee. Delicious! The bill came to 13 Euro incl. tip - a steal.

Update again: Back in Sept 2015 for European Heritage Day (pics 4, 5). I had "Schlesisches Himmelreich", a regional specialty originally from Silesia: Pork and smoked meat cooked in a (slightly sweet) gravy with dried fruit (plums e.g.) with potato dumplings and salad. Delicious!! And a bargain for 10.50 Euro. I also had a "Zwickl" (non-filtred) beer from the microbrewery of nearby Cistercian convent St. Marienthal (0.5 l for 3.60 Euro). Very tasty!

Historical inn Schnitzel, Letscho plus potatoes dessert ... yummy

Zittauer Bürgerbräu (Brauhaus): Beer Hall

by german_eagle Updated Sep 18, 2015

After a tennis match on the neighbouring courts my friends and I found this very charming restaurant - a brewery with nice beer hall and sunny terrace overlooking a small lake, located in the Weinau - Park in the southeast of Zittau, close to the border to Poland.

This restaurant was right after my taste ... cosy, walls panelled with dark wood, plenty of accessoires like expected in a brewery/pub, friendly, attentive staff, very tasty food and beer.

We thoroughly enjoyed our late lunch there ... after winning an important tennis match :-) ... chatted and watched locals who enjoyed their Sunday afternoon. We really had a blast.

Closed on Mondays, otherwise open from 11 am on.

Favorite Dish: I had a plate with three different pieces of grilled meat, salad, french fries (excellent), a glass of local beer (very good), a piece of cake plus cappuccino (also tasty).

Some of my friends also had that mix of grilled meat, an other friend had a HUGE Schnitzel plus salad and roasted potatoes (which he said was excellent), cups of ice-cream (hmmmm...) were ordered and apple strudel (yummy).

The bill was about 15 Euro per person.

Brauhaus Zittau
    • Beer Tasting

Haus am See

by german_eagle Written Sep 18, 2015

This restaurant is in the 4star Hotel "Haus am See", right by Lake Olbersdorf in the western outskirts of Zittau. We had a table at their lovely terrace with beautiful view of the lake and the mountains in the background - perfect. Service was very good.

Favorite Dish: We only had dessert (in the afternoon). Sundae was three sorts of ice cream (stracciatella, walnut and chocolate) plus a mix of nuts, whipped cream and a bit of honey - super yummy. My dessert was a sort of pancakes (but three 'wraps' of a chocolate dough) with nuts, chocolate sauce and a selection of fruit/berries - delicious. Don't remember the exact amount of the bill, but it was very reasonable (though a bit more pricey than the low prices in Zittau in general), about 12 Euro for both, I think.

Haus am See, seen from the lake promenade Terrace View from terrace

Restaurant Koitsche: Swiss cuisine

by german_eagle Updated Oct 6, 2013

From time to time I need my Swiss fix. LOL One option is to have typical Swiss food, for example in this restaurant (and B&B) just outside Zittau, on a hill with great panoramic views (pic 5 - Zittau with its towers in the middleground, lake Olbersdorf to the right, Jizerske hory/mountains in Poland and the Czech Republic in the background).

The restaurant has a nice terrace (pic 2) and a rustic dining room with a tiled stove. Service was very good, quick and friendly. The owner is quite talkative and we chatted quite a bit about Switzerland.

Favorite Dish: I had a salad with Bündner Fleisch (air dried beef meat, 5.50 Euro) - Y-U-M-M-Y, a large portion of Rösti (fried grated potatoes) with bacon, onions and mountain cheese (13.30 Euro) - delicious - and an alcohol-free beer (Erdinger, 3 Euro, no Swiss brand, sorry). No room for dessert, too bad ... next time then.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Cafe Schedel: Have a break!

by german_eagle Updated Apr 4, 2011

After an hour or two shopping and sightseeing in Zittau :-) you might need a break ... a nice place is the Café Schedel, right next to the Town Hall.

We happened to pass by this place, and saw the yummy cakes and tarts inside ... I could not refuse.

Very reasonable prices, wide choice of cakes, sandwiches etc. Ambience is quite nice, relatively modern interior, still cosy.

Open Mon-Sat 6.30 - 18.00 h
    Sun 8.30 - 18.00 h

Favorite Dish: We ended up having a piece of Sacher tart (not recommended, a bit too much of the jam), ice-cream with strawberries and whipped cream (recommended!) and a cappuccino (average).

My friend had a local specialty - Kleckskuchen (highly recommended). I'll better try this next time ...

Inside Caf�� Schedel

Brasserie Triangle

by german_eagle Written Jan 7, 2011

Zittau's poshest hotel "Dreiländereck" (which doesn't mean much) has a brasserie style restaurant with terrace right in the pedestrian zone of Zittau. It is a very pleasant place to relax, browse through the (free) newspapers, sip on your tea of coffee and do some people watching. Service is very good, prices are a bit higher than usual in Zittau (but again, this doesn't mean much) and oops, gone was an hour.

Favorite Dish: I liked the Coupe Romanoff (vanilla ice cream with strawberries) VERY much. The tea was also very good.

Coupe Romanoff and tea Brasserie Triangle Brasserie Triangle

Cafe am Rathaus

by german_eagle Written Jan 6, 2011

This small cafe is the right place to have a break from sightseeing, especially on a cold winter's day. It is located across the town hall, corner Rathausplatz/Brüderstraße.

We had each a piece of cake (yummy) and a cappuccino (good). Prices are very reasonable, outright cheap, especially considering the good quality. Funny detail is that there's a button next to each table which you can push: once and the waitress brings a cup of coffee, twice and you get a can of coffee.

Coffee and cake RRRRRing ... More coffee, please!

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Klosterstübl: An old Brewery

by christine.j Updated May 21, 2008

The next evening we went to the Klosterstübl, near an old cloister where the monks had enjoyed their beer. It is called Zwickelbeer, again dark beer and again very, very good.
    This is a much better restaurant than the Dornspachhaus, a larger variety in food, including several vegetarian dishes and also some choices in meat, not just industry meat. I had deer and liked it very much.
    To be fair, the festival was over, so maybe the Dornspachhaus would have been better that evening, but we didn't want to try.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Dornspachhaus: Not their best evening

by christine.j Written May 21, 2008

I had read a tip about the Dornspachhaus by Vt member yumyum, recommending it, so we went there on the first evening.
    Everybody was busy with preparing for the music festival, maybe this was the reason the service was very slow. The dark beer is very good, but as for food, I can only say vegetarians have a hard life there!
    Luckily it was asparagus season, so I could eat this. I'm not a complete vegetarian, I eat fish and meat, provided it is not industry meat. The Dornspachhaus offers only industry meat and just very few fish dishes. My husband had one of them, it was cold hering, not bad, but not a real meal.
    The restaurant is in a historic building, very nice to look at, but the main reason you go to a restaurant is the food. We were somewhat disappointed, but maybe it was because of the festival and their menu was shortened.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Historisches Wirtshaus: Dornspachhaus

by yumyum Updated Mar 29, 2008

The Dornspachhaus was built in 1553 by Nicolaus von Dornspach (1516-1580) in Renaissance style and it is the oldest Burgerhaus in Zittau. Over the centuries it was used as pharmacy, liberary etc. and prominent local residents and their guests from all over the world lived in it.

The house has a courtyard where you can sit in summer and have your meal. The restaurant is actually rather small.

If you need the toilet then you need to take one of the two keys by the door, turn left as you leave the restaurant and go upstairs.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the Bauernroulade which looked like a little parcel and it was actually tied up like one. Inside it had a cut up chicken breast. It was yummy and cost 9 Euro.

part of interior Bauernroulade Dornspachhaus gateway to courtyard HORSCHECK and myself about to dig in

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Gasthaus Klosterstübe: Father aparently knows best

by richiecdisc Updated May 26, 2007

The Klosterstübe was my father-in-law’s choice. He’d eaten there quite often back in GDR times when working in the area. It is a beautiful old place full of dark wood that manages to conjure a previous era while having an upscale pub atmosphere. The back room where we ate is particularly from another time. Right off the main square it’s a bustling place and the day we dropped in seemed a bit understaffed las we experienced onger than desired wait times for our food and drink.

Favorite Dish: Our group had three different meals. Personally, I had the Brauknecht Keule, a local variation on the Bavarian treat Haxen. For the uninformed, this is a pig’s knuckle and not for the faint of heart, fat phobic or vegetarian. This particular version is quite succulent and the fat is not grilled crispy but left quite wet. It doesn’t particularly look appetizing but once you get over this, it is quite a tasty treat. It came with dumplings and sauerkraut for €9.10. Doreen and her Father had the Franzipfanne, a creamy sauced stew of smoked pork and vegetables with mashed potatoes for €7.80. Doreen’s Mother had Wildgoulasch, a goulasch made with deer meat for €8.20. Zittauer’s Zwicklebier was the perfect hoppy accompaniment to all the dishes (.3L for €2.30).

Wildgoulasch Brauknecht Keule: fat anyone? Franzifanne
    • Architecture
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Zittau

Comments

Zittau Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Zittau restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zittau sightseeing.