Harz Favorites

by Thuringia

Most Recent Favorites in Harz

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Air so Fresh ,Water so Soft.

by Ekaterinburg Written Jun 12, 2006

Favorite thing: Holidays should be relaxing but very often they can be more stressfull then remaining at home. In my opinion, a holiday in this part of Germany will definitely refresh both your body and your soul. With so many Spa towns there are a huge array of wellness treatments available but these are not necessary. Places like Bad Lauterburg are so removed from industry and pollution the air quality is second to none. I have some respiratory problems which improved noticeably during my stay and all of us revelled in the slow pace of life and mountain air.
    Another thing which intrigued me was how soft the water was. Because I have been colouring my hair for many years I usually spend a lot of time and money repairing the damage. In Bad Lauterberg I could wash my hair as often as I liked without using conditioner. Need I say more!

• Spa and Resort

• Thuringia's Profile Photo

by Thuringia Updated Dec 31, 2003

Favorite thing: Harz National Park and High Harz National Park

The two National Parks, Harz and High Harz, are located in one of the most fascinating middle mountain landscapes of Europe. This protected area stretches across two federal states. Founded on October 1, 1990, the High Harz National Park in Saxony-Anhalt today covers 8,900 hectare (22,000 acres) and preserves in the main the Brocken area as well as the Ecker and the Ilse valleys. On January 1, 1994 the Harz National Park in Lower Saxony was formed in addition. It is about 15,800 hectare (39,000 acres) in area and stretches from Bad Harzburg in the north across the higher elevations to Herzberg and the Oder reservoir in the south Harz.

Weblink: www.nationalpark-harz.de

Fondest memory: Hiking Tips

The most environmentally friendly access is by train to Bad Harzburg on the northern edge of the Harz. From here you can travel by bus to Torfhaus. The bus stop "Torfhaus" is the starting and finishing point of our hike. Along the 8 km (16 km up and back) pathway you can experience the Harz and High Harz National Parks from various perspectives. Approximately 330 m elevation change is covered, but the path is easily walked and the climb not difficult. You should, however, be sure to allow adequate time (for up and back about 5 to 6 hours) and bring sturdy shoes.

Useful information about hikes can be obtained at the Nationalparkhaus (National Park Visitor Centre) Altenau-Torfhaus, Tel. 05320/263, Fax 266, email: torfhaus@t-online.de, www.nationalparkhaus-altenau-torfhaus.de or in the ranger station in the same building (Tel. 05320/269). Current weather information is available from our Brocken Camera, see homepage www.nationalpark-harz.de

Instant Answers: Harz

Comments

Harz Favorites

Reviews and photos of Harz favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Harz sightseeing.