Helgoland Off The Beaten Path

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Helgoland

• 78Eva's Profile Photo

Helgoland in the off-season

by 78Eva Written Feb 21, 2004

I spent two weeks on the island of Helgoland, and was almost declared crazy over that. After all, the island lies far out in the north sea and is tiny, only about one square kilometre, i.e. you can walk around the entire island in an hour. Also, I went in early spring, when there were hardly any tourists around.
    I was glad I went. I love islands, and have a liking for remote little places (my dream is still Pitcairn Island!) and I totally enjoyed myself.
    My sister and I stayed in a small, very cosy B&B, mainly read books and went for very long very wind-blown walks around the island, and the little side island (even smaller) that consists only of sand. It was one of the few times in my life when I immensely enjoyed getting up early early in the morning and go outside. The sun-rises were amazing, the air fresh, and I met fishermen that would greet me with a friendly "Good morning".
    The island is entirely out of very red rock and rises high out of the sea. You get there by taking the ferry from Cuxhaven (many people got seasick during the trip which lasted for about three hours). I think during the summer months the island is flooded by day tourists who go there for duty-free shopping etc. But in spring or autumn you have it almost to yourself and if you're looking for a remote, quiet little place where you can relax and go for walks and have the total "sea-experience", the this is the place! Plus, there is a swimming-pool, a few bars and restaurants etc, so it's only almost like you're at the edge of the world.

The red cliffs of Helgoland
    • Study Abroad
    • Beaches

• Gerrem's Profile Photo

Bird Watching

by Gerrem Written Feb 22, 2006

If you take a walk on this little island especially near the "Long Anna" you can watch a lot of bird from the sea..

seagull

Instant Answers: Helgoland

Comments

Helgoland Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Helgoland off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Helgoland sightseeing.