One of the stops on the railroad line between Leipzig and Altenburg is called Bohlen Werke = Bohlen Works.
This is an industrial area that was developed starting in 1920 to make use of the brown coal coming from nearby open-pit mines.
Until 1990 well over six thousand people worked here, and most of them commuted by train to and from this station.
Now the work force is much smaller, but local and some regional trains still stop here, though the actual station building is no longer used and has been boarded up.
During the forty years of the German Democratic Republic (GDR) the Bohlen Works were a state-owned conglomerate. The works were taken over by the Dow Chemical Company in 1995.
GPS 51°11'4.54" North; 12°23'2.41" East
About 20 stalls and a nice Christmas tree with characters of famous German tales around. Situated in front of the town hall at market square.
Prices in 2002:
Glühwein: € 1.00 (less then average)
Bratwurst: € 1.50 (about average)
Quarkbällchen (Curd Balls): € 0.30 / piece (less then average)