Erfurt Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Erfurt

Klosterstube

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

This is a good place for a short break during sightseeing, to digest what you just learned about Martin Luther etc. on the guided tour of Augustine monastery. Furbished in modern style, bright and rather basic, this is a popular place among tourists as well as overnight guests of the monastery. The cafe is closed on Tuesdays and Sundays if I recall correctly. Entrance is from Augustinerstraße.

Favorite Dish: I had a piece of strawberry cake and a cup of coffee. Both yummy. I paid 4 Euro incl. tip, I think.

Cafe Rommel

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

If you're looking for a traditional cafe with old-world charm, then this is the place. Cafe Rommel is the oldest Viennese style cafe in Erfurt, looking back at a history of more than 100 years. The decor is somewhat between Art Nouveau and Art Deco, mostly in the 1920s style.

Located in the northeastern part of the old town. Closed on Mondays.

Favorite Dish: I had a piece of fancy cream-nougat cake, very tasty, and a latte macchiato that came with a glass of water - perfect. Prices were slightly higher than average, but not outrageous. I had a quick look at their website when I wrote this review and it seems they try pushing in more upscale direction now - fine dining and higher prices.

Goldhelm chocolaterie/cafe

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

The family run Goldhelm chocolaterie next to the Merchants' bridge has a pastry shop and cafe where you can try their products and they also have a shop right on the bridge (see shopping tip.) I was in need of caffeine and sugar :-) so I went to their cafe. I found a free table with nice view of the bridge and enjoyed the mild and sunny summer afternoon.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a piece of shortcrust - white chocolate - raspberry cake, which was out of this world, totally yummy! The latte macchiato was very tasty also, and I ordered a quarter litre of freshly squeezed organic apple juice as well - yummy. Service was a bit slow, but I was in no rush. The place is definitely on the more expensive side, but the quality is excellent.

Mundlandung

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

This deli right on Merchants' bridge also has a couple of tables outdoor where they serve breakfast and snacks. One night I walked by, searching for a place to have supper, and saw one free table. It looked inviting, so I grabbed the table. I ordered their salami/cheese plate, a glass of red wine and mineral water and was blown away - to die for! Different sorts of Italian/French salami and cheese, very nicely presented and it came with a selection of bread. Delicious! The service was very friendly and quick. Check was close to 20 Euro.

Restaurant Zumnorde

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

This slightly upscale restaurant (which belongs to the four star hotel of the same name) offers business lunch specials from Monday to Friday 11 - 14 h. Since I was in the area (near Anger square), I took the opportunity and had lunch there one of the days. I had a table in their beautiful courtyard. Service was excellent.

Favorite Dish: From the three choices I picked chicken leg with gnocchi and cauliflower in a balsamico sauce - absolutely delicious. Included was a 0.2 l glass of apple juice (or table water, you pick.) The check was 8.80 Euro (I noticed now it's 1 Euro more.)

Zur Börse

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

Another evening I had dinner with an English friend at Wenigemarkt square, but in a different restaurant - Zur Börse. It was chilly and so we picked a table inside. Rustic, cosy ambience. The food here is more hearty, not as modern-light as in Zum Wenigemarkt 13 - regional Thuringian food, like home-cooked.

Favorite Dish: I had a "special plate Erfurt", which meant grilled pork, Bratwurst, pan-fried belly of pork, fried potatoes and salad. It was very tasty, but had more fat than I am used to. I also had a half litre of their Braugold beer, not bad but nothing to write home about. After a busy day with lots of walking there was room for dessert, so I ordered fried apple rings with whipped cream on vanilla sauce. Yummy! The check was 21 Euro incl. tip.

Zum Wenigemarkt 13

by german_eagle Written Jun 6, 2015

Right on the cute little square "Wenigemarkt" and pretty close to my hotel is this nice restaurant. I had dinner there one night. The weather co-operated, so I grabbed a table outdoor and enjoyed the pleasant summer evening with good food and wine.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a salad with two difference goat cheeses, walnuts, grapefruit slices, olive oil/balsamico dressing - delicious! - and for main course pork roast with Thuringian dumplings and mushrooms - yummy! I had 0.2 l of regional (Unstrut) white wine which was pretty good and a pitcher of table water, too. The check incl. tip was a little less than 30 Euro if I recall correctly.

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Anger Maier: Character Restaurant

by alancollins Updated Feb 22, 2015

I was not disappointed and enjoyed the meal so much I went the following day for another meal on my own. Its one of those places where you have a choice to eat inside or outside. For those who do not speak German there is a choice of a menu written in English and some of the staff speak English. A restaurant has existed in the building for 100 years and it is a place full of character.

Favorite Dish: Stewed Chicken Mediterranean Style with Parma Ham & Risotto 7.80euros

Anger Maier Beer garden Inside Inside

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Elmi: Delicious Cream Cake

by alancollins Updated Apr 4, 2011

If there is one thing I enjoy it’s a hot drink and cream cake in the afternoon. This is also a tradition in Germany with ‘Kaffee und Kuchen’, so as I was walking around Erfurt I found this restaurant, with plenty of cream cakes on sale. Having a sweet tooth I had to try a cream cake and I was not disappointed. It was delicious and tasted as good as it looked. You sometimes end up with cakes that appear to be tasty but are very bland and tasteless. The other handy thing was a clean toilet in the restaurant which is always appreciated after a hard days sight seeing.

Favorite Dish: Cream cake

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

1894: In the new opera house

by Nemorino Updated Apr 4, 2011

This beautiful restaurant is in the new opera house, in the front right-hand corner of the building. The name 1894 is in honor of the fact that the original Erfurt opera house, now the Old Opera, was first opened in that year.

I won't tell you who I had a glass of Prosecco with in this restaurant after the latest operetta, because that would be name-dropping and I have resolved not to do that so often any more. Suffice it to say she was really lovely and so is the restaurant, which stays open quite late, even after the rest of the opera house has been locked up for the night.

1894. The Restaurant in the Theater.
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

täglich . . . aber nicht alltäglich: Facing the main railroad station

by Nemorino Written Nov 29, 2009

It says Willy B. over the door, and this is the same building where Willy Brandt stayed during his brief but historic state visit in 1970, but the official name of the restaurant seems to be "täglich . . . aber nicht alltäglich". This is a play on words in German. It means roughly "daily . . . but not commonplace".

The restaurant is just across the square from the newly renovated main railroad station, in fact you can see the station façade reflected in the windows.

I sat outside here and had a very tasty salad while waiting for my train.

Restaurant with reflections

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Schmalztopf: Big beer and hot chocolate

by ATLC Updated May 11, 2009

On the cathedral square there are many little restaurants and pubs. We chose this one because it looked very local and we enjoyed a big beer (0.4 cl € 2.70) and a large hot chocolate (€ 2) with a cake called Bienenstich with whipped cream (€ 2.50).

The place was busy with locals, mostly of the pension age so I suppose that is a recommendation.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Zur Pfauen: Zur Pfauen

by bonio Updated May 2, 2009

Zur Pfauen = The Pheasant?
    Restaurant of the hotel we were stopping in, great beergarden on a warm evening and excellent food. Beer from the in house mcrobrewery went down very well too.
    Just the sort of place the Bonios enjoy, recommended.
    Now closed

beergarden beergarden

• bonio's Profile Photo

Erfurter Brauhaus: Erfurter Brauhaus

by bonio Updated May 2, 2009

Hausbrauerei in the centre of town, must try these places!
    Food and beer very good, small outdoor area on a warm evening, looks good inside though.
    Both Mr & Mrs Bonio had a salad - very warm day!
    recommended place to visit.
    Now closed.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Engelsburg: Good food, nice "biergarten"

by King_Golo Written Jun 2, 2008

Engelsburg is actually a student's club (and has been for several centuries), but this nice restaurant is on the premises of Engelsburg. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name...
    The food is good and relatively cheap.

Favorite Dish: I had the finger-food dish with country potatoes, mozzarella sticks and something called chili poppers (which wasn't so tasty) - in total, a good choice.

Me and Susi in Engelsburg

Instant Answers: Erfurt

Comments

Erfurt Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Erfurt restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Erfurt sightseeing.