by yumyum
    by alectrevor
    by alectrevor

• Thuringian dumplings

It's another special food of our region. To "create" them needs knowledge. Made out of potatoes. Grated poor potatoes and cooked mashed potatoes together in a special mix. Also important which time you can mix both. Then you can form the dumplings and do inside boiling water. Only light boiling!Really special, but delicious.In former times that...

• Thuringian people

What should I say about local customs of my home? That they split their potatoes with forks like all Germans do? (smile) I think it is the place to write a little about Thuringian people in principle. My opinion changed during last six years. I lived in some different places of Thuringia. In the southeast region near wonderful Bleichloch water...

• Soljanka

Soljanka is originally a Ukranian recipe that became local fare in eastern Germany during the communist period. You will find Soljanka on just about all menus in restaurants in Land Thüringen.Here is a recipe:250-300 gr. Sausage or meat leftovers150 gr finely cut onion2 tablespoons oil3-4 tablespoons tomato puree or ketchup1 litre meat stock1 small...

• Easter Fire

It´s a regional custom, the fires at Easter time. But like I got as information now some other German places know it, too. Fire means a bit religious, but more I heared it would have the sense to drive out the bad spirits of winter. Nearly all villages or towns have their own regional big Easter fire. It is always fun, connected with a celebration.

• The Thüringer Bratwurst

The Thüringer Bratwurst (Thuringian Sausage) is roasted on the grill. There are many recipes, but everyone is held secret. She tastes very good, some Thuringian missing her if they are on travel. I not. ;-) Tabarz had the probably most famous tester short time ago. The King of Sweden was on a visit at the Duke of Coburg-Gotha. The nobility goes...

• Easter

I liked a lot the Easter customs in the small villages. People create rabbits and other things. This one is in Allendorg near Schwarzburg, as far as I remember.

• Thueringer Bratwurst

I wondered so much. From my hometown Mannheim I'm used, that people eat Brezels. But in Thueringen, there are no Brezels, but everywhere Thueringer Bratwurst.

• cake

I don't know how to translate, in german it is called Blechkuchen or Rahmblechkuchen. The lady in the bakery in Schmalkalden called it "Matschekuchen". You get it with fruits, with cheese, with nuts, just try it. It's fantastic!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Land Thüringen? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Land Thüringen Hotels

30 Reviews - 133 Photos
Suhl Hotels
5 Reviews - 4 Photos

Instant Answers: Land Thüringen

Comments

Land Thüringen Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Land Thüringen local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Land Thüringen sightseeing.
Map of Land Thüringen