The water supply for the castle was via a well that at 80m is one of the deepest wells in the area and supplied the castle with water till 1964.
When the castle was conquered by Duke William of Saxony in 1452 he had 4 towers built into the castle to increase its defence. The Marterturm was first mentioned in 1612 and was used to hold prisoners and torture them. It later became the magazine holding the gunpowder. The dress tower received its name in 1671 and was used for defence. The donjon contains parts of the original castle and is nearly 40m in height. The last tower is the Münzturm which was used for defence but lost its use over the years.
This is the Gate House to the castle. It use has changed over the years and it was last used as a youth hostel from 1921 to 1997 when it was closed due to its out of date facilities.