Ottweiler Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by christine.j

Most Recent Restaurants in Ottweiler

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Brauhaus Ottweiler: Because of freezing rain...

by christine.j Updated Feb 6, 2010

Delicious!

Very sad update 2010:
    The restaurant has closed. I was there last in December 2009 and the food was very good as always, but it was very quiet. Now I heard that they had to close. Too bad, another victim of the Credit Crunch.

What do you do when you have a family meeting planned, restaurant booked and all of a sudden there's freezing rain and ice on the streets? You cancel. That's what we had to do this Christmas (2007). We tried to find another date, when most of the family members were able to meet, but then the restaurant was closed. So I started looking for an alternative, simply by going down alphabetically the list of possible places. That's how we found this wonderful, small restaurant. It's called Brauhaus - brewery - the letter B is early in the list, I liked the menu on their website, called and was able to reserve our table.

It's in the cellar of the former city hall, including the register office where my husband and I were married almost 30 years ago. Some stairs are leading down, which can be difficult for someone with walking problems.Inside it's a very nice place, newly renovated in a sort of old-fahioned look, and soft! music in the background. I hate it when the music is so loud that the guests have difficulties understanding each other.

Favorite Dish: Living up to its name, the Brauhaus serves several kinds of beer, including a Kellerbier - cellar beer- called Zischke, a light and a dark one. I have no idea why it's called Kellerbier, but I can tell you that the dark one is very,very good!

Among the appetizers there is also a "beer bread", served with lard and apples. For 2,60 Euro we got so much, almost a complete meal.The picture I took shows the plate only, but with it there came a large basket full of bread, enough for everybody.
    The choice for vegetarians is somewhat limited,but the salad "Broodgrumbeere" turned out to be more than enough, lots of salad, a fried egg and fried potatoes.The soup of the day included some meat, but on demand a vegetable version was prepared.
    Two in our group had steak, which was excellent. From 6pm on they also serve pizza, including a vegetarian one.

If you speak German and have problems reading the menu in the link, don't worry: Parts of it are written in the local dialect.

There has been a change in ownership recently, now the owner is also the chef and she is doing a wonderful job!
    This was certainly not the last time we went there.

Since there had been freezing rain again, our group was smaller than expected, only six people. I paid 100 Euro for six main courses, three soups, one appetizer, beverages ,coffee and after-dinner-brandy, definitely not too much.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Schafbrücker Mühle: Mixed Feelings

by christine.j Updated Oct 2, 2009

I had been to this restaurant before and had liked it. They have a good variety of dishes,including some very good vegetarian meals.In autums they offer mushroom dishes, chanterelles which are soo good!

For a family meeting I booked a table for seven, after having checked their homepage again. Nothing had been changed, so I was looking forward to a nice lunch.

But when we asked for the menu we were given a single sheet of paper, which didn't have a single vegetarian meal on it. It was meat,meat amd meat again, with one lonely fish thrown in between.I asked about the regular menu and was told this wasn't valid that day. When I said there had been no mention of this on the homepage, the waitress just shrugged.

We then started talking about what we could eat, and when we she heard us considering ordering french fries and a side salad, the waitress suddenly offered us a vegetarian meal, a vegatable and mushroom plate with boiled potatoes. Isn't it amazing what the fear of losing some business can do?

Five of us ordered this vegetarian plate, one person had the fish and another one the deer, as deers are not raised industrially.

The food was very good and we all liked it. With 10 Euro the vegetarian plate was a bit on the expensive side, eight or nine Euro would have been more appropriate, but that's okay. We could have had a beef broth with it, which we obviously refused, and a pudding was served automatically after lunch.

I know it's not the waitress who decides the menu, but I thought her attitude was not very welcoming. I'm not even sure if this change in menu was legal, as the law says a restaurant has to stick with what is shown outside. I don't know if this also applies to websites, but a simple phrase like " There is a different menu on Sundays" would have been enough.

Instant Answers: Ottweiler

Comments

Ottweiler Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ottweiler restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ottweiler sightseeing.