The Rock, Gibraltar

Know about this? Rate It!

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

New York Times article about Gibraltar

by sugarpuff Written Nov 27, 2006

I have just come across this article written a year ago for the New York Times and thought it very accurate. I hope you enjoy reading it and can hopefully learn more about the place that I call 'home'.

Gibraltar: A British Outpost with a Sunny Latin Flavor

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

A bit of a climb

by bugalugs Written Oct 21, 2004

There is a footpath which leads up to the rock called the Union Jack steps. It is supposed to be quite a dilapidated set of steps and it crosses a road which leads to Devils Gap Battery and the Apes Den.

• Galaxy31's Profile Photo

You never know what you might see

by Galaxy31 Written Mar 23, 2015

On the second day when I’m was in Gibraltar I had taken a walk to a more residential area and when I looked upwards at the Rock I’m was surprised to see all the gun emplacements were visible.
    You will always see the Rock of Gibraltar green and covered by shrubs and trees and plenty of flora and wild flowers and that's its because the Rock it has a lot of water due to the porous limestone. But on the Southern side of the Rock where it’s the steep side and not a path to get through you will see the gun emplacements from where the army used all those years ago.

The walk I had taken it was in Devils Tower Road

The Rock The Rock The Rock The Rock The Rock
    • Photography

• I know that I would have been...

by aero1 Written Aug 24, 2002

I know that I would have been upset if I had not seen Gibraltar from the sea. Just a bit of a note: to get to Africa we had to leave by Algeciras, Spain, which is directly across from Gibraltar in the bay area. Now, I think you can leave directly from Gibraltar for Africa.

{picture of Gibraltar from sea as we were going to Tangier, Morrocco}

• Jeanlyon's Profile Photo

For the person interested in...

by Jeanlyon Written Aug 25, 2002

For the person interested in natural history, whether it is on land or sea, Gibraltar is incredibly rich and full of surprises at any time of the year with a wide array of plant life, many of which are native to the area, the Rock Apes, dolphins in the Bay of Gibraltar, and other marine mammals which include the Pilot Whales of the Strait, Killer Whales and even larger species such as Sperm Whales. Gibraltar also has its own unique bird: the Barbary Partridge and not to be missed is the spectacular migration of birds when you can see several thousand of up to fifteen different species in a single day including birds of prey, storks, vultures, songbirds and seabirds.

In spring, the time when many birds breed, and others arrive from the south, many insects, including beautiful butterflies, emerge, making Gibraltar a truly beautiful paradise for wildlife.

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo

take a walk on the wildside

by bobsreturn2004 Written Feb 2, 2005

Take a walk right round the rock(well as far as u can)Theres so much to see including a beach, a itilian house,lots of shops and a great place to watch the planes land.

Instant Answers: Gibraltar