Places to eat in Gibraltar

Most Viewed Restaurants in Gibraltar

• DAO's Profile Photo

ROCK FISH & CHIPS: HELL NO

by DAO Written May 15, 2014

This place is so nasty that I am surprised the health authorities haven't shut it down or the Police arrest the owners for crimes against food - and tourists. Years ago this traditional Fish & Chip Shop got very good reviews. The original owner is apparently long gone. When I walked in I kept thinking it looked a little dirty. I just wanted some chips. I saw this guy drop something that looked more like french fries into a basket and then into the oil. Something didn't seem right. I was then handed some 'chips' stuffed into a metal takeaway tray. They tasted as nasty as they looked. I was still in the restaurant when I confronted them about them not really being chips. The response was something mumbled like 'Turkish Chips'. So much for the words 'Traditional' and 'English' on the front. Everything I saw coming out to table over the next few days looked greasy and nasty. PLEASE read this and other recent reviews on the internet. Stay well clear of this place. There are 2 nice looking Fish & Chip shops in the same square and they look the business.

And if you are going to Gibraltar - rate this tip as I have saved you from a bad experience. I couldn't even get the seagulls to eat them!

NASTY NASTY NASTY

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Gauchos: Argentinian Steakhouse

by gordonilla Written Mar 2, 2013

I had tried to eat here for lunch the day before my visit; sadly it was not open. However on my next visit, it was early evening and I was able to get a table. Ideally you need to book, it is very popular.

The staff are excellent and helpful - good menu and service.

I had a good steak meal and sides of friend onions and pepper sauce.

There was a cover charge applied to my bill.

Favorite Dish: Steak of course! Why not try Churrasco!

Exterior Interior (1) Starter Churrasco

• illumina's Profile Photo

Rock English Fish and Chips: Best of British!

by illumina Written Aug 8, 2011

We found it quite hard to be in Gibraltar and not crave some traditional English grub (after over a month on the road!), so we caved in and had pie and chips at this friendly chippy. The prices are fairly similar to back home too!

• illumina's Profile Photo

Rock English Fish and Chips: Best of British!

by illumina Written Aug 8, 2011

• yumyum's Profile Photo

The Royal Calpe

by yumyum Updated Apr 14, 2011

The Royal Calpe is located in the Main (shopping) Street of Gibraltar. In front of the pub there is a small outdoor seating area. The main part of the pub with the bar seems to be the smoking section. There is a large wintergarden to the back where you will find the non-smoking, family friendly section. It was amazing how many mothers with strollers frequented the place for lunch. There are a couple of children's high chairs.

Service was friendly and attentive.

You may pay in EURO but change is in sterling.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a Quiche Lorraine for GBP 5.75 and my mother for Fish & Chips for GBP 6.50. A tea was GBP 1.20. The food was very yummy indeed.

Quiche Lorraine front view of the Royal Calpe

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Latino's Diner: Open Air Bistro

by kaloz Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are many open air bistros along the main street. I just happened to pick this one to sit and write my postcards with a cup of tea. I was shortly joined by my three Brasilian friends Glase, Maria, and Luzia. Maria loves mushrooms.

Favorite Dish: Mushrooms in a Parcel £7.95 or
    Mushroom Cream Sauce £8.25

Mushrooms do not agree with Kaloz, I was content with my tea, but enjoyed the company. The girls were laughing at my postcard scheme, and enjoyed the messages I wrote to my friends and family.

Maria Loves Mushrooms
    • Cruise

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Pickwick Bar: Live Music

by bugalugs Updated Apr 4, 2011

We didnt actually eat at this bar, just stopped to sit outside and listen to the live music, which was a guitarist who also sang and a keyboard player. They were very good.
    However the lady at the next table asked us were we eating, she had just had a meal and praised the food highly.
    Its only a small place yet on a couple of nights of the week they have entertainment.
    Wednesday is quiz night.
    The night we were there was a friday.
    The only problem was it seems to be a bit of a wind tunnel where the tables and chairs are outside, and got quite chilly.

Favorite Dish: As I said we didnt eat here but I found their menu on the web so the web address below is their menu.

Pickwick Bar

The Royal Calpe: Beer...

by Airpunk Written Jan 4, 2010

The Royal Calpe is one of many pubs along Main Street. A good place, not too poshy and the prices are cheap compared to other pubs on main street. There is a wide selection of beers as well as a beer garden available. Food is the usual pub stuff, but also affordable. On some nights, there’s also life music. Unfortunately, their kitchen closes pretty early and outside of tourist season, their overall closing time is pretty early too. If you are in urgent need of some British pub food after kitchen closing time, I would like to recommend the Gibraltar Arms.

The Royal Calpe

The Gibraltar Arms: Good Place with food until late at night

by Airpunk Written Jan 4, 2010

The Royal Calpe next door is an excellent place, but they don’t like to cater for a single german who arrives late in the evening on a Tuesday in February. If this is the reason for being kicked out there or if you just want to go into a lively place, then go to “The Gibraltar Arms”. Their beer prices and selection are not as good as in the Calpe, but still affordable and the kitchen is open until late at night. There’s the usual pub food on the menu, their John Dory fillet was quite good. It is also an option for the (in)famous all-day British breakfast, other hangover killers or just a normal lunch. The Gibraltar Arms are owned by the same guys who run Lord Nelson’s at Casemates Square and O’Reilly’s Irish pub. Good place, football on TV and always pretty full.

Favorite Dish: The John Dory fillet was indeed a good choice

The Gibraltar Arms

The Cannon Bar: My favourite choice in Gibraltar

by Airpunk Written Jan 3, 2010

Who says that you can’t find a small, cosy pub in Gibraltar which is not touristy? Just some meters away from Main Street, there’s The Cannon Bar and Restaurant. As a guest, you are invited to feel like in your own local pub, with very friendly staff. Some of the guests seem to be frequent costumers, and if you are sociable, you can easily get into the conversation. Pirces are among the cheapest I have found for a pub in Gibraltar. And their bar food (fish & chips etc.) is as good as anywhere else. Unfortunately, some people have found out about this gem and it is recommended in several guidebooks.

Favorite Dish: Just some good old fish and chips with mushy peas. I felt at home (which in this case is Stansted Airport) when I enjoyed this dish....

Cannon Bar

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Lord Nelson: Our only Gibraltar 'meal'

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 5, 2009

It was already just past noon by the time we had driven from Tarifa, found parking for our rental car in La Linea de la Conception and then dealt with Customs & Immigration as we walked across the border into the heart of Gibraltar. It was great to emerge from the Landport Tunnel at such a lovely location as Casemates Square with a fantastic looking British pub awaiting! The service was quite good and it definintely has 'location', so we were quite pleased to stumble upon the Lord Nelson by chance. Judging from the menus on their website, the food prices are a trifle high (thanks to the Pound currency in use) but I really can't speak for their quality.

Favorite Dish: Deciding that it was time for a breather, even if we were not yet hungry enough to sacrifice our short time in Gibraltar for a proper meal, we chose one of their outside tables as our 'recovery' spot. Sue decided to have a glass of their house white wine (3.35 GBP) while I decided to go with more bulk by ordering a pint of Beck's beer (2.90 GBP) while we took in the surroundings. There were a few other patrons turning up as well and we also enjoyed one of the staff (in the background here and beside the casemate from which we emerged) as he strung an electric cable across the front of the pub for the upcoming New Year's Eve celebrations later in the day. The 2nd photo shows our spot beneath the two umbrellas in the distant corner. Altogether, it was a very pleasant little stop before we resumed our 'forced march' tour of Gibraltar. With a tip, our total bill came to ~10 Euros (~US$13).

Enjoying our time at the Lord Nelson Casemates Square view of the Lord Nelson

Gauchos Restaurant

by keeweechic Updated May 8, 2009

Gauchos is a Argentinean restaurant close to Casemates Square and fairly new to Gibraltar. They have a big charcoal grill and serve authentic beef, fish and vegetarian dishes. They offer an extensive range of wine with some good choices in champagne. Great food, good service and average priced. Book ahead as this restaurant is popular. Open Mon-Sat from 7.30pm.

Lord Nelson

by keeweechic Written May 6, 2009

Lord Nelsons is reported to be one of the best restaurants in Gibraltar, certainly popular. A good place to people watch while you dine or have a drink. The pub of course is named after the famous Admiral Nelson and the décor is that of a ship. During the week there a live band.

The Horsehoe

by keeweechic Written May 6, 2009

The Horseshoe Pub is on Main Street and serves a good selection of both British and exported beers. There are tables inside and out and on Friday nights after 11.00pm is the most popular time to be there. The bar is open all day and serves breakfast and bar snacks

Rock English Fish & Chips Cafe

by keeweechic Written May 1, 2009

In true British style, you have to have Fish & Chips and there is no shortage of café’s, restaurants and pubs offering this in Gibraltar. Rock English Fish and Chips Café is on Casemates Square close to the entrance of Main Street. The café is small but there are outdoor tables and chairs to people watch while you eat.

Gibraltar Hotels

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
Governor's Inn
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Gibraltar

Comments

Gibraltar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gibraltar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gibraltar sightseeing.
Map of Gibraltar