Places to eat in Gibraltar

Most Viewed Restaurants in Gibraltar

• yumyum's Profile Photo

The Royal Calpe

by yumyum Updated Apr 14, 2011

The Royal Calpe is located in the Main (shopping) Street of Gibraltar. In front of the pub there is a small outdoor seating area. The main part of the pub with the bar seems to be the smoking section. There is a large wintergarden to the back where you will find the non-smoking, family friendly section. It was amazing how many mothers with strollers frequented the place for lunch. There are a couple of children's high chairs.

Service was friendly and attentive.

You may pay in EURO but change is in sterling.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a Quiche Lorraine for GBP 5.75 and my mother for Fish & Chips for GBP 6.50. A tea was GBP 1.20. The food was very yummy indeed.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Lord Nelson: Our only Gibraltar 'meal'

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 5, 2009

It was already just past noon by the time we had driven from Tarifa, found parking for our rental car in La Linea de la Conception and then dealt with Customs & Immigration as we walked across the border into the heart of Gibraltar. It was great to emerge from the Landport Tunnel at such a lovely location as Casemates Square with a fantastic looking British pub awaiting! The service was quite good and it definintely has 'location', so we were quite pleased to stumble upon the Lord Nelson by chance. Judging from the menus on their website, the food prices are a trifle high (thanks to the Pound currency in use) but I really can't speak for their quality.

Favorite Dish: Deciding that it was time for a breather, even if we were not yet hungry enough to sacrifice our short time in Gibraltar for a proper meal, we chose one of their outside tables as our 'recovery' spot. Sue decided to have a glass of their house white wine (3.35 GBP) while I decided to go with more bulk by ordering a pint of Beck's beer (2.90 GBP) while we took in the surroundings. There were a few other patrons turning up as well and we also enjoyed one of the staff (in the background here and beside the casemate from which we emerged) as he strung an electric cable across the front of the pub for the upcoming New Year's Eve celebrations later in the day. The 2nd photo shows our spot beneath the two umbrellas in the distant corner. Altogether, it was a very pleasant little stop before we resumed our 'forced march' tour of Gibraltar. With a tip, our total bill came to ~10 Euros (~US$13).

• Architecture

Rock English Fish and Chips: Fish and Chips

by bugalugs Written Sep 28, 2004

This small cafe with seating outside advertises fish and chips. But when we ate there it was one morning for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Typical english cooked breakfast, egg, sausage, bacon, beans, tomatos, toast, butter, jams, tea or coffee.
    A nice breakfast.

The Horseshoe Pub: English breakfast

by bugalugs Written Sep 28, 2004

This pub was a favourite of ours for breakfast.
    However it doesnt open until 10am but that was fine for us.
    We sat outside and had a full english breakfast.
    We also visited here one night and had a drink but they were not serving food that evening. Dont know whether they dont serve food any evening, it may be that they just serve food during the day. I forgot to ask them.

Favorite Dish: Bacon, egg, sausage, grilled tomato, beans, toast, butter, jams, fruit juice and either tea or coffee, all for £3.50.
    The staff and service was very good.

Trafalgar Sports Bar: Didnt like the tomatos

by bugalugs Updated Sep 28, 2004

Another bar/restaurant that had lots of tv's all featuring sport. Quite a big place, but no eating facilities outside.
    We went in here just once for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: We had the usual english breakfast but instead of grilled tomatos were given tinned tomatos which I am not particularly struck on, too much juice as well which seemed to soak into everything on the plate.Even though I wasnt particularly pleased with the breakfast it wouldnt put me off trying other meals there if I ever visited Gibraltar again.

The Clipper: A wide variety

by bugalugs Updated Jan 3, 2006

We visited this bar/restaurant last year when we went to Gibraltar, enjoyed it and returned again this year.
    A nice varied menu and prices are reasonable.
    TV's dotted about the place.
    Staff were very nice.As it is on a narrow lane there is not a seating area outside.

Visited here again in June 2005 and November 2005 and we are never disappointed.
    I think a lot of people who visit Gibraltar especially the day trippers tend to walk straight up Main Street and eat along there somewhere instead of nipping down the little alleys. If you visit Gibraltar try the Clipper.

Favorite Dish: We have had various meals here, pasta, fish, chicken all of which were very good.

The meals here are real value for money. One evening I didnt feel hungry enough to warrant ordering a meal so had a bowl of soup with crusty bread and it was lovely.

Breakfasts here can be purchased all day and I think about £3.95 which is very good value.
    Main courses are approximately £6.00 per head which again is good as the portions are plenty and the food lovely.

I would certainly recommend this place.

The Tunnel: Sangria

by bugalugs Written Sep 28, 2004

I have to add that on our first visit here in November 2003 I had asked for a hug of sangria. They showed me the size of the jug which even for me was way too big. I asked if they had a jug half the size and this is what I got........ a pint glass!
    So I had to drink it.....well thats my excuse....mmm it was lovely

The Tunnel: A great place

by bugalugs Written Sep 28, 2004

We ate here a few times, in the winter we sat inside, and in the summer outside. As it is in Casement Square it is quite a popular place. Some nights because of entertainment in the Square a table booking is needed.

Favorite Dish: Different meals were thoroughly enjoyed, I had Fajitas which were lovely, Wayne had a curry. But the menu is very varied and most people would find something suitable.

Star Bar: Miss the fish!

by bugalugs Written Oct 9, 2004

It was pouring down and we dashed into this little pub down a side street that says it is the oldest bar in Gibraltar.
    Quite a small bar, perhaps about 10 tables. TV and a couple of slot machines.

Favorite Dish: We both had fish and chips as they advertised the fish was fresh. It probably was but I didnt like it at all. It was in batter which was fine but it had not been skinned and I hate fish with the skin still on. It also tasted of the sea!!!!! so salty not to my taste at all.

• africaking's Profile Photo

Thyme: mmmmm, can almost taste it

by africaking Written Aug 11, 2004

Thyme restaurant, located next to the Cornwall centre, based on two floors, the lower being a bar with seating area, soft lights and relaxing atmosphere. The upper area is the main restaurant and is spacious, well lit and with a trendy feel to it.

The kitchen is open, so you can see the chefs prepare your meal. The menu does look a bit sparse, but don't let that put you off, the food is wonderful.

Dishes range from seafood to steaks, all served in a delicious rich sauce and anything else you pretty much want.

Favorite Dish: If I remember right, I had the moroccan chicken with cous cous, really tasty.

Prices do vary depending on what you order.

Cannon Bar: Friendly staff

by bugalugs Written Oct 9, 2004

Quite a small place tucked into a corner but very nice and friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: We both had burgers, salad and french fries, and it was really nice and a very generous helping, washed down by a couple of glasses of wine, well you have to be sociable :-)

Overlooking the Marina: A bit classier

by bugalugs Written Oct 9, 2004

By the Marina you will find some lovely restaurants, probably a bit more expensive than along Main Street area. Lovely views of the marina and the boats and watching the sun going down. Seating inside and also outside with awnings over the outside areas.
    We didnt actually eat at any of them as the night we wondered along here we had already eaten. But on our next visit we certainly will.

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Gauchos: The newest restaurant to hit The Rock with style!

by sugarpuff Updated Aug 25, 2006

Could this be labelled as barbeque? Im not quite sure...more 'grill' than barbeque I think. This restaurant opened when I was back in Gib in July 2006 by my old boss from 'The Tunnel' Restaurant in Casemates. He is truely an entrepreneur, opening a handful of places since he first arrived on The Rock back in the late 80s. And this latest one is something very different for the people of Gibraltar, and for the first few days that I helped out, it was booked solid with very good feedback. So if you're looking for a good steak place, fresh chargrilled vegetables, fresh fish and delicious desserts, not to mention the 72 bottele wine list, try this place for something different to the usual Gibraltar fare.

I wrote an article for 'The Gibraltar Magazine' when I was home too about Gauchos, and it will be going to print in the September issue. If you would like to read it, please log on to www.thegibraltarmagazine.com.

For a taster of what they offer, I've included parts of the menu for you to peruse!

Empanada de Carne Picarda (minced beef, olives, tomato and egg in a black pepper pastry)
    Provoleta al Horno (baked cheese italiano served piping hot)
    Ensalada La Pampa (succulent sliced tomato with garlic and oregano in olive oil)
    Fillet de Salmon Chimichurri (with grilled banana, mango and avocado sauce)
    Gambas Ceviche (Largest King Prawns, skewered and grilled)
    Brocheta de Verduras Especial (Vegetables served on a large sword)
    Solomillo ("The Fillet", needs no explanation, absolutely perfect!)
    T.Bone ( Cut high on Sirloin with the filet in place, blend of two cuts, two textures)
    Chuleton (Perfect flavour with the rib and a little fat between 600-700 grams)
    Parrillada de Gaucho (For two - steak, sausages, chicken, pork and lamb)

And all the veggies come as side dishes with different sauces available on request. The Chimichurri sauce is FREE however!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Nunos: Italian with a view

by Gillybob Written May 31, 2006

Nunos is situated in the Caleta Hotel in Catalan Bay with great views out over the Mediterranean. The food was great and good sized portions at very reasonable prices for a hotel restaurant. Definitely would re-visit!

Favorite Dish: Tagliatele with salmon and dill

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Gauchos: A taste of Argentina in Europe

by sugarpuff Written Aug 25, 2006

The following is printed on all 'Gauchos' menus as a brief history to the area. I thought it was really interesting and that you might enjoy reading all about it.

"Dining at 'Gauchos' offers you the rare experience of enjoying a fine repast inside a two hundred year old casemate. The Waterport Casemates are part of a fortified wall built in the early 19th century to protect the 'waterport' entrance to the town of Gibraltar. The Oxford Dictionary describes a casemate as an "embrasured room in thickness of a fortress wall." The embrasures being the openings from which the guns and cannon could be fired.

Before land reclamation the main water entrance to the town of Gibraltar was through the Waterport Gates, outside the southern entrance to the restaurant. In those days, the waters of the harbour lapped against Waterport Wharf, which is where the restaurant is situated today. The other main gateway in the days when the town was completely surrounded by walls and locked up at night, was Landport Gate, located on the opposite side of Casemates Square next to the Tunnel Bar and Restaurant. It is still used today but for foot traffic only.

Two hundred years ago the Waterport Casemates were a hive of activity with soldiers, customs agents and health inspectors, going about their days work. There would have been dozens of cannon and heavily armed soldiers providing protection. The floor of 'Gauchos' shows the original flagstone and if you look next to the windows and in the floors you will see the filled indents where the cannon securing rings were sited. These were used to haul the cannon into firing position after loading, and to stop them running back on the troops after firing!

The surfaces of the vaulted walls and ceilings have been carefully renovated throughout and the unique decor has been handcrafted to ensure a pleasant atmosphere for our guests. Links to the past include one of the original cannon now a decorative addition to the outdoor dining area."

Gibraltar Hotels

Latest: Apr 8, 2014
Governor's Inn
Latest: Sep 15, 2012

Instant Answers: Gibraltar

Comments

Gibraltar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gibraltar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gibraltar sightseeing.
Map of Gibraltar