The Angry Friar, Gibraltar

by cazz38
    Angry Friar
    by bugalugs
  • Watch the parade go by - pub to R behind bus stop
    Watch the parade go by - pub to R behind...
    by katepj
  • The Angry Friar Gibraltar: Appaulling place in Gibraltar

by LaurenceP Written Jun 4, 2012

On a hot day, having a quick lunch outside seemed a good idea. On finding a table, the service was very slow, even though they did not appear very busy. Staff too busy chatting at the back of the seating area. After my sister had ordered a toasted cheese and onion sandwich, with had been threatened by a toaster and had plastic cheese that had not had chance to melt, she pointed out that the food was not up to standard and was threatened by two of the female staff, then they tried to eject her from the restaurant. When i asked the waitress what was going on, i was told, you get out too.
    The worst service i have ever come across and on chatting to others that had traveled to Gibraltar, and those that live there, that were in our wedding party, the appalling service and standards in this place seem common knowledge, locally.
    Definitely a place to avoid.

• The Angry Friar: Never Ever eat here..

by dexmachine Written Jun 4, 2009

It had been a long day and I would have eaten anything. We were looking for somewhere to eat and were too hungry to care so we stopped at The Angry Friar. Seats outside and quite amusing seeing the guards march in the square. It really wasn't busy in the bar, yet the service reminded me of when people have been rushed off their feet all day and just wish you could go away. The menu was typical english pub grub. Fish and chips, pie and mash. Done well these can be a good meal. WELL even my mother heading into a diabetic coma found the food awful, The fish was frozen "captain birds eye" style (but more like asda own brand actually), the mash had a taste I had forgotten since I was in primary school, mash cooked days before and reheated. We were so hungry we were tempted by burger king but all agreed we wanted something cooked by a chef, a bit of home or nice cooking. WE DID NOT GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS. I wish we had ate in burger king , because I am sure that the students and newly immigrated workers that work for minimum wage would have taken more pride in what they where serving than this rubbish.

A bit further along the road is a fine dining restaurant cal;lled the Rock hotel. Where the food is of an excellent standard and may cost about 30% more but well well worth the cost. and this is with me feeling if I had paid what I paid in the angry friar for a night booth kebab I would have been happy.

Favorite Dish: There was a rather unpleasant looking tissue in the rather dirty toilets, I wish I had ate that!

• katepj's Profile Photo

The Angry Friar: A cool place to watch the world go by

by katepj Written Jun 3, 2007
    Watch the parade go by - pub to R behind bus stop

Good mix of locals and tourists, everyone seems pretty friendly, including the busy staff.

Beautiful place to relax outside in the early evening when everything is quietening down.

(The beer is good and cheap too.)

Favorite Dish: I've not eaten here but the food looks pretty good when it goes past, and it is freshly cooked. Someone shared a chip butty with my scroungy partner and he said it was excellent. Hmmmm.

Last time I was there I noticed they had a spinach pie so that may be vegetarian. Price around £5 or £6 I think.

• The Angry Friar: Food OK but exchange on Euro out of line

by treeman06 Written Oct 7, 2006

We were in Gibralter this September 06 and remembered seeing information on the Angry Friar so we gave it a try. The food was ok, more like something my mom fed me on Friday nights, a TV dinner. I can live with that but the exchange rate converting euros into pounds was way out of line. My information to anyone going to Gibraltar for the day, exchange into pounds what you will need. The exchange rate euros into pounds is bad in many places. Would I go back to the Angry Friar, no, I would try other pubs in the area.

• Seniors

• cazz38's Profile Photo

The Angry Friar: Great food.

by cazz38 Written Nov 26, 2005

The angry friar.

We found the Angry Friar to be a lovely friendly place and good value too,i had scampi,chips and salad and it was really nice and came out hot, you didn't have to wait for ages either.If you didn't want to eat here you can just have a drink,its quite small inside but there is a big seating area outside.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

The Angry Friar: Small but fine

by bugalugs Written Sep 28, 2004

Angry Friar

We also ate here a few times, both for breakfast and also we had dinner here a couple of nights.
    Quite a small pub inside not a great many tables and chairs, but quite homely.

Favorite Dish: The usual english breakfast and one evening I had scamp with chips and salad and it was very nice. Washed down by a few glasses of wine. :-)Here I am in the photo checking out the menu.

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

The Angry Friar: Don't ask for a 'Snowball'

by Geoff_Wright Updated Jan 9, 2004

Mary and Jaymes love to eat

The Angry Friar is a 'typically' British pub, but don't ask for a 'Snowball', because they can't make one! They don't sell Bacardi Breezer's either!!
    They serve a good selection of different meals, but broardly English style food.

Favorite Dish: We had Fish and Chips (x2), Hot Dogs for Jaymes, a pint of Shandy, a 'Reef', and Scrumpy Jack cider, all for £19.70. Seemed very good value.
    The only thing that spoilt it was the German gentleman at the next table, whose cigar smoke drifted over our meal!

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

THE ANGRY FRIARMain Street,...

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

THE ANGRY FRIAR
    Main Street, in front of The Convent.
    This nice pub has a lovely terrace in the square where the change of the guards takes place. A perfect place to have a typical english lunch (kidney pie, sausages, smashed potatoes, a huge pint...) after shopping all along Main Street. Don't miss the Hot Apple Pie, delicious!!

Instant Answers: Gibraltar

Comments

Hotels Near The Angry Friar
3.0 out of 5 stars