Duty Free Goods, Gibraltar

Know about this? Rate It!

Main Street
    by keeweechic
  • CarlosM33's Profile Photo

Vijay: Ray Ban Sunglasses

by CarlosM33 Written Jan 30, 2014

One of the larger shops along the Main Street of Gibraltar, I found VIJAY to be a very modern and trendy shop, with very helpful staff without being too pushy. I hate it when you go into shops and the sales assistant is breathing down your neck. They have got a fantastic range of sunglasses of all brands at fantastic discount prices. Just imagine, I picked up a pair of Ray Ban aviator sunglasses at £69!! They also have a range of mid-price watches, brands such as Seiko, Fossil, etc. They also have an online store www.vijay.gi and they ship worldwide (I think).

What to buy: Gibraltar is well-known for its duty-free prices in alcohol and tobacco. Unfortunately, I don't smoke so I couldn't take advantage of that. There is also a great selection of jewellery shops and I managed to buy my fiancee's engagement ring at a fantastic deal. Look out for the shop called Glamour, again great service and good prices.

• Duty Free Goods: Shopping in Gibraltar

by Hannahh Written Aug 11, 2012

I recently came back from a cruise where we stopped in Gibraltar, it was our 4th time there so we knew where to get good deals. If you are looking to buy sunglasses go to a few shops before buying, some are cheaper than others, I would recommend a shop called S&S but there are many others with good deals too. Various things are cheaper such as, makeup, fragrance, and jewellery, however be sure to price things up before you go to Gibraltar as not everything is that good a deal. Pandora can be cheaper, but it can also be more expensive, I would recommend bringing a Pandora booklet with you (they have prices in) so you can compare prices.

Some people have mentioned that electronics are not a good buy, but, when it comes to cameras I strongly disagree. For anyone looking to buy electronics I can suggest a shop called 'Galaxy' it's on the main street and has some very good deals, for example, the new Nikon D3200 is priced at a low £395 compared to the UK price of £529.

What to buy: (some will be cheaper others not)
    Sunglasses
    Makeup
    Fragrance
    Alcohol
    Tobacco
    Jewellery
    Electronics

What to pay: Depends on what you buy, prices seem to have dropped recently

• School Holidays
    • Cruise

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Shopping in Gibraltar

by GentleSpirit Updated May 31, 2012

Gibraltar, being a duty free city, offers substantial savings on many things. We were told that buying a computer or electronics in Gibraltar was much cheaper than in Spain. One has to wonder though, because when leaving Gibraltar you didn't see people hauling boxes of stuff.

Spaniards go shopping in Gibraltar to take advantage of cheaper prices on many things-cigarettes, booze, staples as basic as sugar.

It seems that Spaniards are checked closely when leaving Gibraltar. I, as a foreigner, was only asked what I had and waved through.

• Duty Free Goods: Carlos. Gibraltar

by jnvl Written Nov 23, 2011

If you want to pay more, you can shop there. You will pay at least 40% more than the most expensive shop in the UK! Gibraltar is tax free but don't expect to save anything on electronics.

What to buy: The only savings you can make in Gibraltar are on alcohol and tobacco.

What to pay: A lot more than the UK

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Shop till you drop

by micas_pt Written Dec 31, 2010

Main Street

Before visiting I had read in several websites and forums that Gibraltar is heaven for shopping due to taxes. Honestly, I didn't find it that great, probably because I visited in high season and the prices I checked don't change much from country to country: I was interested on the iPad and prices were similar to the ones I had recently seen in London (it wasn't available yet in Portugal in July 2010, when we visited Gibraltar).

Main Street is lined with shops selling mainly: perfumes (a bit cheaper than Portugal), sun-glasses, spirits, tobacco and electronics. The tobacco is in fact cheaper, but as we were travelling on a cruise, we found the ship's tobacco shop even cheaper. I bought myself Ray-Ban sunglasses, about the same price as they cost in Portugal just because I found one pair that I liked a lot. Notice that prices are in Sterling Pound and you should take into consideration the exchange rate, which back in July 2010 wasn't that good for the Euro.

• Gib Airport - Duty Free Shop: Alcohol and tobacco bargains

by scotia001 Written Nov 1, 2010

What to buy: The price of the airport's Duty Free shop alcohol and tobacco, including cigarettes, cost about 1/3 cheaper than down-town Gibraltar on Main street.

What to pay: 1ltr spirits about £5.00 - rolling tobacco between £6 to £9 for 5 packs of tobacco. All dependant on brand, but SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than in town. Check it out when you arrive, you can buy your entitlement on the way out to save carrying it about.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Liquor Stores

by keeweechic Written May 7, 2009

There are plenty of liquor stores in Gibraltar's due to the VAT-free and duty free status the territory enjoys. There is a great selection of good quality wines as well as perfume, jewellery, electrical goods and cigars. Crystal and porcelain also are very well priced.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Good Duty Free Shopping

by keeweechic Written May 7, 2009

Gibraltar is considered a free port so there is plenty of duty free shopping. I haven’t checked this but Spirits and Tobacco are supposed to be the cheapest here than anywhere else. British pounds can be used without any problem although Gibraltar has its own pound which is not in return, recognised in the UK. A lot of the stores will also accept Euros, even some will take US dollars but the exchange rate may not be the best.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Cigars

by kaloz Written Nov 18, 2008
    La Casa del Habano

Gibraltar is filled with duty free shops. So if you are looking for gifts or souveniers, this is a good place to do your shopping.

What to buy: Kaloz enjoys his cigars, and was pleased to find this tobacco shop (established 1492) to find a few smokes.

• Cruise

• ALL SHOPS: Don't buy on Main St

by DavidandChris Written Jun 3, 2008

I was trying to buy 2 cameras fortunately I had priced things at home first. I could buy far cheaper at Dixons, Jessops, Argos you name it anywhere but Main St. I'm a good haggler, well quite good, and I couldn't get anyone to come down to anywhere near the price I could buy at home.
    Make sure you know your prices ! Check the hotel internet if you haven't got that item priced up !
    They rely on suckers - don't be one.
    I've been to Gib a number of times and this aspect of it has changed for the worse.

What to buy: NOTHING

What to pay: Spend your money at home

• barbskie's Profile Photo

Gibraltar Crystal: Gifts and Souvenirs

by barbskie Updated Feb 6, 2007

The shop is right at the left side as you enter the Casemates Square. It is close to its own factory and produces varoius unique designs of handmade glasswares and crystals. You can see glass being made, blown by famous blowers in town. Take home with you a piece of Gibraltar Crystal. Don't miss the display centre. You'll also find a wide display of glass on offer to cater for everyone's taste and budget.

What to buy: Gibraltar crystals as trendy jewelries,

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Allowances overload

by Gillybob Updated May 16, 2006

Just wanted to remind folks about duty free goods if you are flying directly from the UK to Gibraltar.

What to buy: Its important that visitors from the UK are aware that Gibraltar is not classified as part of the EU and therefore, international allowances apply for trips directly to/from Gibraltar, e.g. 200 ciggies, 2 bottles wine, 1 bottle spirits, etc. This applies when returning from Gibraltar directly to the UK.

• Business Travel

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Tax Free goods to take home. CUSTOMS IN UK

by EdinburghRoc Updated Mar 14, 2006

Now this was only my firs-time abroad on my own [second time abroad]
    Heathrow customs give me a very hard time they were going to keep my cine camera.
    Had me sign forms etc but in the end I kept the camera.
    He just kept on asking if someone give me the camera to bring into the country, where I bought it? Did I buy it in Dixon's?

I also had a bit of luck my duty free 1LT bottle of Teachers whisky dropped through the bag and bounced off the floor in the terminal up into the air where I caught it. Well done Teachers for making a bottle with a good thick bottom.

What to pay: Remember customs will be awaiting your arrival home and tax may be payable.

• Architecture
    • Beaches

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Duty Free Shopping

by easyoar Written Nov 12, 2004

Gibraltar is a British Colony. As such it qualifies for tax-free status, which means any shopping there is duty-free. Therefore ectronic type goods can be significantly cheaper than elsewhere in Europe.

As usual though, buyer beware. Check your local prices first, and make sure you are buying the same item with the same extras coming with it!

What to buy: Electrical Goods such as cameras, mp3 players, memory cards et al are all worth investigating!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Duty Free Goods: Fags and Booze

by bugalugs Updated Oct 9, 2004

Christmas lights on Main Street

Besides being cigarettes which are a lot cheaper here (about £9 per 200 carton as opposed to about £45 a 200 carton in the UK), as are spirits, there are also lots of electrical shops, camera/photographic shops, perfume shops and also shops selling crystal and porcelain. All are duty free and as there are quite a few of these shops they must be doing well or else there wouldnt be as many.
    There is also a Marks and Spencer a Safewy store which is down near the harbour.
    As we were there in late November all the fairy lights were on ready for Christmas.
    Not all shops are open on a Sunday.

Instant Answers: Gibraltar