Cable Car, Gibraltar

Know about this? Rate It!

• Cable Car - Rude

by angelofsol Written Jun 9, 2011

The Cable Car is the worst way to get up to the top of the Rock. The lines they have for tickets can get easily muddled and the employees don't seem to pay attention half the time. Because of the confusion caused one of the ladies at the ticket counter was very rude to us and it was very embarrassing. And the confusion we experienced wasn't because of a language barrier. Had my husband not just wanted to pay, and had we simply not just wanted to go to the top of the Rock, snap our pictures and go back down I would have not given the Cable Car company my money, turned around and caught one of the van tours to the top.

Don't do the Cable Car unless you want to risk being treated like children. The guys who did the vans were much nicer and I really wish we had gone with them.

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Climbing the Rock

by Durfun Updated Jun 28, 2010

Walk through the park, bearing left, then cross the road & turn left for the ticket booth.

Return tickets per person (including the multi-media presentation) is 14 EUR (we managed to negotiate a group discount, costing us 11 EUR per head).

Fun way of ascending quickly & smoothly, while taking in the breathtaking views.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Zoo

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Cable Car

by keeweechic Written May 6, 2009

A cable car runs from 9.30am through to around 6.00pm every day but Sunday. A ride to the top will take around 6 minutes if you are going all the way to the top or you can stop halfway up at the ‘Apes Den’ or middle station. If you go all the way to the top you will be rewarded by a fantastic view as well as a café and souvenir shop. The base station is found at the south end of Main Street. You can buy tickets which are combined with either the nature reserve or St Michaels Cave and the Siege Tunnels.

• Photography

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

To the top of the rock by cable car

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 25, 2009

Gibraltar cable car

The quickest and most convenient way to get to the top of the rock is by cable car.

The trip takes only about 8 minutes and the cable car can carry up to 30 passengers. A return ticket is 8 GBP and a single ticket sets you back 6,50 GBP (2006).

There is a middle station near the Ape's Den where you can alight when asking the guard.

The base station is located about 200 m away from the far end of the Main Street, which is the busiest shopping street in the city.

• Trains

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Cable Car to the Rock

by kaloz Written Nov 18, 2008

Going up

Any visit to Gibraltar will include the cable car up to the Rock and a chance to see the Barbary Apes. Be prepared for a long queue. It took about an hour from the time I got into line. Fortunately I met some friends in line and we passed the time in conversation.

• Cruise

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

take the cable car to the top.

by cachaseiro Written May 9, 2006

the cable car.

one way of getting to the top of the rock is going by cable car.
    be aware that you can get a substantial discount if you are a group of people.
    the ride to the top takes 6 minutes and the cable car driver will mostly give you a little run down on what you see when you are on your way up.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Cable-car to the Rock

by barryg23 Updated Dec 16, 2005

View of Gibraltar from Cable Car

Had we not been so pressed for time we might have attempted to walk to the top of the Rock instead of paying 7.50 sterling each for the cable car. The views are excellent however - not many cable-car rides offer you a view of three different countries and two continents! You'll also be able to sneak a peek in to the houses near the bottom of the Rock. Nearly every one of them had it's own private pool and there were people out sunbathing, even though it was February. Makes you want to live here....

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Only If You Like Heights!

by freya_heaven Updated Mar 13, 2004

Cable Car Views

This is a copy of the "Imprinted Legs" from "Must See Tips" (different photo though)

We got the Cable Car to the top of the Rock, apart from walking it is the only way to get there, the taxis who offer to take you on a tour dont actually take you to the top.

I was so excited about going up the Rock of Gibraltar that I jumped in to the cable car, announced to Derek that I think that I have finally over come my Vertigo, sitting there grinning about going to the top.

As soon as the doors had closed I knew it had been a big mistake, Trying to look out of the window confidently pretending I was enjoying the view up. By this time, Derek had guess all was not good, as he was in agony with my fingernails imbedded in his leg.

By now I was looking at the floor, deep breathing, and planning to get off at the Apes Den stop. Drew up at the Apes Den stop & saw it was a narrow metal pier sticking out about 5 meters from the Rock & I knew I could not walk along it.
    At this time the Cable car operater decided to have a cigarette break, whilst we were dangling there. ..................
    By the time we reached the top, I was telling Derek I couldnt get off as I was frozen to the spot, The the doors opened I shot out so fast, even Jonathen Edwards would be impressed !

Hellish at the time, but amusing looking back(~_~)

To cut a very long story short Dont Use The Cable Car If You Have Dont Like Heights

You can get the Cable Car from the Car Park next to the Alameda Botanical Gardens.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

The best way to get to the top...

by worldkiwi Written Aug 25, 2002

The cable car at the top of the rock.

The best way to get to the top of 'The Rock' is to take the cable car. It costs about two pounds - I think (+ one pound for an all inclusive entry ticket to The Rock's attractions). You need to get to the cable car station on Red Sands Road. If you follow Main Street and pass through the Southport Gates and then walk towards the Botanical Gardens, you should be able to find the way there. Pick up a map at the airport and you'll have no problems.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Cable-Car - The best way to the top

by easyoar Written Nov 12, 2004

The Cable-Car up the rock

By far the best way to get to the top of the rock is to take the cable-car. This gives you good access to the Peak, to the Apes, to the Siege Tunnels and to the Caves.

Instant Answers: Gibraltar