Know about this? Rate It!
Overshadowed by more famous sites at Knossos, the former city state of Aptera near Kalives is not yet on the tourist route and so can be investigated in relative peace. Perched 230 metres up on a hill overlooking Souda bay it panoramic views of the whole plain of Chania.
Legend has it that Aptera took its name after the victory of the Muses over the Sirens in a musical contest which took place between the city and the sea. The Muses won, the Sirens lost their wings and turned white. Hence the name of the city Aptera (without wings) and the nearby islets of Leukai (white). More prosaic is the suggestion that its name derives from Ptera, the king who first founded the city.
Lake Kournas is one of only two lakes in Crete and covers a total area of about 160,000 square metres with a depth of up to 25 metres. (48 km east of Chania) The name is derived from the Arabic word for lake. Dense vegetation surrounds the scenic lake and the southeastern bank is lined with olive trees. A strip of white sand beside the lake provides an area for swimming and cafes.
THE MYTH OF THE LADY OF THE LAKE
Lake in Crete?...
A lot of people that visiting Crete dont know there is a lake, big lake i can say!Its close to Chania near Georgioupoli.There is a restaurant-cafe there so can spend some time watching the place.
Away from the overdeveloped tourist trail
Rent a car and discover countless villages, spectacular scenery, beaches at the end of the roads, and lesser known archaeological, historical, and cultural sites.
- Family Travel
Escaping from the crowds
Also worth a visit is Lake Kurnás, especially if you want to escape from the tourist crowds, which is to be found west of Réthimnon, in the mountains.
19 km from Agios Nikolaos is...
19 km from Agios Nikolaos is Gurnia, an interesting archeological site, dating from 1600 B.C. Unlike Knossos, it has not been reconstructed and offer some authenticity... (picture coming soon)
- Historical Travel
- Castles and Palaces
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Discount Hotel Rooms
- Priceline.com More Ways to Save on Hotels. Save up to 50% on Top Brands.
Crete Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Malletts Bay Hotels
- Canton de Vaud Hotels
- Obalende Hotels
- Bukit Fraser
- Tofino Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path