Taverna Samaria (Gouves), Crete Island

• Balam's Profile Photo

Taverna Samaria (Gouves): Great Traditional Greek food

by Balam Written Jul 19, 2008

Taverna Samaria (Gouves)

A short walk up from our apartments towards the main road is Taverna Samaria and after having walked past it twice today it had really caught my eye, I’m not sure if it was the look of the place or the Chalk board outside saying Lamb kleftico but we decided to go there for our dinner.
    It is a very traditional Taverna which reminded me very much of Flora's Taverna in Afandou on Rhodes. There is a good menu and I did think about having the Stifado but decided to save that for another day, I just had to have the Lamb Kleftico.

It was delicious, certainly the best food I have had up to now (but we are only on the 3rd day as I am writing this) but it is certainly the best Lamb Kleftico I have ever had.

Oh and if you don't know what Lamb Kleftico is it's lamb, Potatoes, peas, Feta cheese all wrapped up in a parcel together and slowly baked in the oven. Don’t be fooled by pictures in restaurants of kleftico with the lamb and sauce, cooked in a tin foil parcel, and a baked potato and peas separate (in Malia I saw a picture of it with just the lamb in a parcel with rice, chips and peas on the side). They should all be cooked together.

On 14/07/08 we went back to Samaria Taverna this time I had Beef Stifado (they also do Lamb Stifado) and it was beautiful. The food at this Taverna is what food should be like

• Wine Tasting