Know about this? Rate It!
Municipal Markets: Whatever You Wish
Municipal markets can be found in most towns in Crete (as well as all over Greece). They're open from the morning till early afternoon.
There you'll be able to buy fresh food, some local crafts, drinks, even clothes. I especially adore municipal markets in which one can have a cup of coffee or lunch.
Should I copy this note to "Must See Activities"?
- Budget Travel
- Food and Dining
- Family Travel
Hania Market: Market Deals
Hania's Market all the local products that you might want, such as produce like chestnuts, bread, bananas, honey, and "eptazyma" toasts. You can also start a bit early and stock up on the famous Cretan grappa "raki" or "tsipouro". Though I don;t recommend getting blitzed before lunch!
You can also buy leather items, hand-made ceramic souvenirs, various fabric and jewellery.
What to pay: Everything here, as elsewhere in Greece, is pretty cheap by European standards. If you feel it is too expensive, just keep going. You can ALWAYS bargain here for better prices. They somewhat expect it.
Saturday market, Irakleion: Dictamus tea, kefalotiri cheese, edible cactus
Saturday gypsy market is situated near the port, and bus station for Chania - Rethymno (main station). It begins with usual pirate market, where you can buy false Rolex or Chanel, and continues into a real market for real Cretans, which means that food is cheap and abundant.
What to buy: 1. Dictamus tea. It is a mountaneous sort of oregano, endemic for Crete. Cures cold, stomach, it`s good for many other contitions, it has a taste od sun and spring in the mountains. Costs 1 EUR for the bag. Buy any amount you like!
2. Kefalotiri cheese. It is strong, with smoked, disgusting, stinking crust (don`t eat it!) 1 kilogram is 8.5 EUR, but the taste is superb. If you want to just try, or buy less then kilo, be quick and precise. Otherwise, you will end up with the cheese you don`t like.
3. Caplosca (ka-plos-ka). Strange cactus fruit with taste between kiwi and banana. Let the salesman show you how to remove the crust, because it bites bad! NEVER touch the caplosca before removing the crust. Price: 2.8 EUR for kilogram
What to pay: How much you can carry?
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- School Holidays
Shopping in Herakleio
This is another old shopping centre in Herakleio downtown.You can find a lot of things in good prices and you can try for a better one!
Inside Agora, Chania!
Thats how Agora looks inside! The shops are very close to each other and the whole building has the shape of a cross,so, it has 4 entrances.
Agora shopping centre in Chania
This is the main shopping centre in Chania. Its an old building and inside you can find most eatable things, some local kind of breads, cheese, milk, botans and more like souvenirs...
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Crete Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Makati Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Beijing Hotels
- Abu Dhabi Hotels