Etiquette, Crete Island

by gale.blog.pl
  • kat-m's Profile Photo

False friends

by kat-m Written Jun 24, 2014

There was a problem when we arrived with the wifi in our apartments(soon resolved), it was my granddaughters birthday and I was desperate to skype her. And so we ended up in a beach front cafe that had free wifi,I do speak Greek but find sometimes it is easier to speak English as the Greek will reply in English anyway. So as we sat trying to connect I realised with horror that the proprietor of the cafe was talking about us commenting on what I was wearing to the cafe next door , who by the way were looking extremely uncomfortable. Needless to say I would not return to the Cafe Olympia, Makrigialos beach. Another incident happened in the local bank but was not without humour ,we were standing in the queue when the bank teller shouted out in Greek what did the foriegners want, to change money I replied in Greek, but everyone laughed and he turned out to be very nice!

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Ancient Objects

by gale.blog.pl Written Aug 5, 2007

No historical objects can or should be taken from Greece. In Crete you'll come across pieces of art and architecture created before Christ, looking abandoned. Never remove anything to take it home. Souvenirs can be bought in hundreds of shops - Greek cultural heritage is something to be admired on the spot (and on your photos).

Should you be caught doing illegal things (like picking pieces of ancient mosaics), you'll be in deep trouble.

Instant Answers: Crete Island