Know about this?
Losing your Way in Samaria
Recently it has come to my attention that two tourists from my country lost their way in the Gorge of Samaria. It's hard to believe that such thing happened but as a result they were found several kilometers from Samaria - one of them still alive, died in hospital, the other one was already found dead. Both dehydrated.
Please follow the route. Never lose eye contact with other tourists. Be well equipped - a bottle of water is a must. If you're not sure which way is right - never hesitate to ask others.
- Budget Travel
- Family Travel
Watch your legs in Samaria
The Gorge of Samaria is an extremely popular trekking route, probably the most popular in Crete. Please have in mind that you are going to need trekking shoes and not just sneakers.
Watch under your feet as the path may be covered with rubble and it's quite easy to twist your ankle (like I did the last time I walked Samaria).
Also remember to dress in a universal manner because it may be cold in some spots and hot in other ones.
On the exit of the gorge you'll be asked to present your entrance ticket. It is a very wise idea to check whether everyone who entered the route left it.
- National/State Park
- Hiking and Walking
- Budget Travel
Dont follow animals in canyons!
Dont try to be friendly with goats and any other animals you can meet!They are not very friendly and they act a little be wild!In canyons or in country,becareful snakes and scorpions!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Discount Hotel Rooms
- Priceline.com More Ways to Save on Hotels. Save up to 50% on Top Brands.
Crete Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kodaikanal Hotels
- Lake Minnewaska Hotels
- Narragansett Beach Hotels
- Chaguanas Hotels
- Cebu City
- La Spezia
- Cabo San Lucas Warnings and Dangers
- Goa Warnings and Dangers
- Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers
- Punta Cana Warnings and Dangers
- Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers
- Cancún Warnings and Dangers
- Nashville Warnings and Dangers
- Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers
- Prague Warnings and Dangers
- Port Douglas Warnings and Dangers
- Abu Dhabi Warnings and Dangers