Walking in the Mountains, Crete Island
There are some things you should be aware of BEFORE walking Samaria Gorge.
1. Wear sensible footwear - it is rocky the whole way (read uneven).
2.Take something to drink - if it's in summer there may be little water en route.
3. Cut your toenails the night before you go - sounds odd? Trust me, four steep kilometers will bite into your shoes
4. Go early if possible
5. The gorge may be closed by the following: National Parks, first half and second half. They operate independently of one another. The ferry - may not run due to the wind (you have been warned).
6. It may be downhill but that DOES NOT make it easy.
7. Women - take your rings off, your fingers will swell.
8. People have died from falling rocks and many injured; the warning signs are there for a reason.
Recently it has come to my attention that two tourists from my country lost their way in the Gorge of Samaria. It's hard to believe that such thing happened but as a result they were found several kilometers from Samaria - one of them still alive, died in hospital, the other one was already found dead. Both dehydrated.
Please follow the route. Never lose eye contact with other tourists. Be well equipped - a bottle of water is a must. If you're not sure which way is right - never hesitate to ask others.
The Gorge of Samaria is an extremely popular trekking route, probably the most popular in Crete. Please have in mind that you are going to need trekking shoes and not just sneakers.
Watch under your feet as the path may be covered with rubble and it's quite easy to twist your ankle (like I did the last time I walked Samaria).
Also remember to dress in a universal manner because it may be cold in some spots and hot in other ones.
On the exit of the gorge you'll be asked to present your entrance ticket. It is a very wise idea to check whether everyone who entered the route left it.
Dont try to be friendly with goats and any other animals you can meet!They are not very friendly and they act a little be wild!In canyons or in country,becareful snakes and scorpions!