Weather, Crete Island

• mingul's Profile Photo

Winds!

by mingul Written Aug 10, 2009

Cretan wind

I have encountered very strong winds in some parts of Crete. While high in the mountains I have stepped out of my car to take some photos and I was struck with very powerful unexpected winds. However the fiercest of them all was met in Frangokastello (on the southern part of Crete) where literally I felt very unsafe while trying to take some photos from the top of the abrupt shore. As I returned to my car a very strong blast came into my face throwing a very good amount of sand as well. I have heard a story from the locals that a small car parked very close to the abrupt drop where I tried to take the photo, was literally blown into the sea a few years ago.

• kat-m's Profile Photo

windy!

by kat-m Written Jul 30, 2006

Komos beach on a very windy day

sometimes the wind in Matala and the surrounding area got a bit much. The wind in iself was not the problem but the beach was impossible due to the sand burn and also it was so bad you could not swim the sea was so rough. There is a very helpfull? lifeguard on the matala beach when I asked him if he had a net to fish out a dead bird from the sea he promtly produced one and then sent me in as he did not want to get wet!

Instant Answers: Crete Island