Churches and Monasteries, Athens

Know about this? Rate It!

• Christianne's Profile Photo

Church of Panaghia Kapnikarea

by Christianne Updated Apr 16, 2005

Favorite thing: The Kapnikarea Church is situated in the middle of a little square at the intersection of the Ermou and Kapnikarea streets in Monastiraki.
    The church was built on the ruins of an ancient temple which dedicated to a female goddess, possibly Athena or Demeter. It was founded at the beginning of the 11th century (around 1050 A.D.).
    Most of the paintings inside the church are the work of the famous Greek artist Photis Contoglou.
    The name probably comes from the its donor who gave the money for the church in the 11th centure.
    It was restored in 1950.

Kapnikarea Church
    • Architecture

• Greek Orthodox Services

by trudik Written Aug 16, 2003

Favorite thing: The view of the Acropolis lit up at night from anywhere. I saw it from the roof-top garden of my hotel (10 stories up) and from just under it in the Plaka. It makes no difference where you see it from - the view is breathtaking.

Fondest memory: On Sunday morning, my first in Athens, I took a wrong turning on my way to see Syntagma Square. I started to hear Arabic-sounding chant and realized the words were "Kyrie Eleison", or "Lord have mercy". Following the sound, I came to a tiny church and walked in. I stayed, mesmerized by the chanting. At Communion time, I was invited by a tiny old lady dressed in black to participate. I tried to refuse, but she pushed me toward the altar, where I was given a small piece of bread and proceeded to eat it along with the other ten people that fit in the church. To anyone familiar with Orthodox services this may not be special, but I found the entire experience magical, particularly since the church is right in the middle of Athens.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Airport layover

by xymmot Written May 7, 2012

Favorite thing: As Brotherleelove said the airport Chapel was a good place for a nap, but it is not allow, and generally looks bad when the staff is going into work with campers all over the hall ways and their front door. (I was one of them) Many people still sleep all over the place and camping under escalators like myself and spill into the Mc Donalds coffee lounge until we all get kicked out, Athens facilities is very poor in planning as I go out there year after year and get into Athens to wait for a connection at all hours of the night, It a shame that even the simple rat holes near the airport charges 50 plus euros a night while the better ones will charge way over 100 euros. so if you budget travel ,you have a long stay in Athens Airport to walk the grounds and look at their indoor museums. During the day you can take the bus and go shopping at Ikea nearby, or if you have lots of time, go into the city and tour Athens. It will get better when you reach your final destination with some extra Euros to spend for Grappa or Restina. LOL
    O pa
    cheers tommy x

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

In contemplation...

by Sharrie Written May 20, 2003

Fondest memory: I just couldn't resist taking this pix. Luckily for me, all Greeks are used to tourists :p. A most friendly bunch of people... one could really get addicted to them :-)

Priest at Athens Cathedral
    • Archeology
    • Architecture

• Christianne's Profile Photo

Athen's Cathedral

by Christianne Updated Sep 22, 2002

Favorite thing: Athen's Cathedral, the Metropolis.
    The picture is from on part of the facade because the Cathedral is under renovation after the damage of the earthquake of 1999. They started a little late.

Instant Answers: Athens