Neoclassical Trilogy (Academy-University-Library), Athens
Favorite thing: It was built between 1887 and 1902, based on a study of the Danish architect, Theophile Hansen. Hernest Ziller was the supervising architect who also studied the entrance stairways and the main bookstands. As early as in 1858, King Otho had ordered Hansen to make a study for the construction of a Library next to the University, that had already started being built. The building is considered to be a characteristic sample of mature Neoclassicism.
The Academy in Panepistimiou Avenue
It is part of the so-called Neoclassical Trilogy of the City of Athens: Academy - University-Library. Built in two phases, in 1859-1863 and 1868-1885. The Danish architect Theophile Hansensupervised the construction up to 1861 when H. Ziller took over.
The family of the Baron Simon Sinas, Ambassador of Greece in Vienna, Berlin and Munich was the main donator for its construction. In 1887, the architect Hernest Ziller, who was the proxy of Sinas' heirs, gave over the building complete to the Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis.
The University in Panepistimiou Avenue.
It is part of the so-called Neoclassical Trilogy of the City of Athens: Academy - University-Library. It was built between 1839 and 1864 based on the designs of the Danish architect Cristian Hansen (the same architect designed for the Academy) who was the supervisor of the construction at the beginning, to be followed afterwards by A. Theophilos and Kaftatzoglou. The wall-paintings on the facade were studied by the Bavarian painter Ral and executed by the Polish painter Lebietski.
Nowadays the building is used as the headquarters of the University of Athens.
The Library (Vallianios) in Panepistimiou Avenue.
It is part of the so-called Neoclassical Trilogy of the City of Athens:
Academy - University-Library
. It was built between 1887 and 1902 based on the study of the Danish architect Theophile Hansen. The architect Hernest Ziller was the supervisor of its construction.