Bairaktaris, Athens

by joyryd
  • Bairaktaris
    by bonio
  • joyryd's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: the BEST souvlaki!

by joyryd Written Dec 4, 2005

I guess this is the name of the restaurant. The owner's name is Dimitris Bairaktaris. To me, the mark of a good restaurant is if it is frequented by the 'locals.' In this case, that could not have rung more true. We stumbled upon this gem after wandering through the maze that is Monastiraki. This really was an oasis amid the hubbub of the surrounding market. One of his employees outside lured us in with the old pick up line "Was your father a thief?"
    I beat him to the punch, though, by finishing this old cliche line..."Why, because he must have stolen the stars from the sky and put them in my eyes?" He seemed shocked that I knew this line. Come on! This is such an old line, no way was I falling for it. But the day was warm and I was hungry and thirsty. Needless to say we ended up in this restaurant... and I'm glad we did! Traditional Greek folk music was played by real musicians. At one point the locals joined in to sing along with the chorus of one of the songs being played. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a meal.

Favorite Dish: The specialty is the pork Gyro (or Kebab or Souvlaki). I tried the chicken kebab as well. It was good, but the pork is by far more flavorful. We also got a taste of the Lamb kebab, compliments of the house (although having dined here 3 days in a row, we realized we weren't that special- they gave us a complimentary dish all three days) Also brought us fresh melon after the meal. The house wine is very good as well.

• mardaska's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: Avoid it!!!

by mardaska Written May 3, 2004

This restaurant is quite popular to the visitors. Maybe because it is located in one of the most touristic areas....on Monastiraki square, just in front of the metro and the "ilektrikos" station.

The place is almost always packed inside and outside...It serves kebab, souvlaki etc....

BUT....it is one of the most dirty places around....They once served to me a tzatziki which was exposed to flies for hours (and I was watching it)....It was the last time they saw me there....

Favorite Dish: Nothing

• bonio's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: Eat with the stars!

by bonio Written Mar 5, 2003

Old restraunt, some seating outside but two big areas inside. The walls are covered in photos of the owner with apparently famous visitors eating there. We recognised only one, a French soccer player currently with AEK , but everyone else seemed able to spot household names. Oh yeah the food is magic too, huge menu of Greek favorites - we visited 3 times.

Instant Answers: Athens