Bairaktaris, Athens

2.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

Monastiraki Square

• Greasy, Low quality Kebab with 2 pitas -JUNK FOOD
    Greasy, Low quality Kebab with 2 pitas...
    by greekcypriot
    All people are foreigners here!
    by greekcypriot
  • Bairaktaris
    by joyryd
  • mardaska's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: Avoid it!!!

by mardaska Written May 3, 2004

This restaurant is quite popular to the visitors. Maybe because it is located in one of the most touristic areas....on Monastiraki square, just in front of the metro and the "ilektrikos" station.

The place is almost always packed inside and outside...It serves kebab, souvlaki etc....

BUT....it is one of the most dirty places around....They once served to me a tzatziki which was exposed to flies for hours (and I was watching it)....It was the last time they saw me there....

Favorite Dish: Nothing

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris Restaurant: Rude Staff, Ugly, Greasy and Low Quality food!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 11, 2011

I have come again and again to Bairaktaris. In the past it used to be a good restaurant with tasty food and it was very popular not only with locals but tourists as well.
    It seems that the owner has given the business to foreigners and he no longer appears in the restaurant himself as before. The people running it are from different nationalities, like Arabs, Bulgarians, and Albanians. They were talking loudly and making such noise between them that all we wanted was to leave. Besides all this, at the background there was some loud music, plus the fact that the restaurant is in a very busy neighborhood making things even worse.

The staff was scattered here and there and they were trying to talk to passers by, trying to convince them to sit. It was like hell and I just wondered why we came here in the first place.
    The kebabs were of very bad quality, greasy and tasteless. I wonder what kind of meat they make it with.

We ordered 2 portions of kebab that cost 17.40
    Some Tzatziki for 3.20,
    3 small glasses of barrel beer for 4.00
    And they charged us with 0.30 for bread it said but we had no bread so we asked what this was. It is for house charge. Total we paid 26.90 euro for junk food.

We ate part of what we ordered and left most of it in the plate untouched and asked to pay and leave. We waited and waited but the only thing the staff cared for was to find new customers so they did not pay attention to us at all and kept ignoring us. I have seen one of the staff putting his fingers in his nose and then carrying food. It was a disgusting one hour like a nightmare for us. I also noticed other people complaining, and the couple sitting next to us who were tourists asked for the bill but they were charged more. They noticed it and the waiter said that they had done a mistake. Before writing my comments I had a quick look on other people’s comments and I notice that many others complain as well. So this means that the restaurant might still have kept the same name, but it is run by people who have nothing to do with either cooking or welcoming and keeping customers. Nothing to do with the Old Bairaktari Restaurant as we knew it years back! So be aware when you go out for kebab. Avoid it completely.

I urge people to try going somewhere else. Even Thanasis restaurant which is opposite has lost the popularity of the previous years, and the quality there is similar.
    The last time I was at Thanasis I was given some really bad quality white wine that made me sick for 2 days. The food again here is of very low quality and greasy just as at Bairaktaris.

So avoid both Bairaktaris and Thanasis. They might have the name but they sell rubbish junk food. I will never come to either of the two again.

Greasy, Low quality Kebab with 2 pitas -JUNK FOOD All people are foreigners here!
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• joyryd's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: the BEST souvlaki!

by joyryd Written Dec 4, 2005

I guess this is the name of the restaurant. The owner's name is Dimitris Bairaktaris. To me, the mark of a good restaurant is if it is frequented by the 'locals.' In this case, that could not have rung more true. We stumbled upon this gem after wandering through the maze that is Monastiraki. This really was an oasis amid the hubbub of the surrounding market. One of his employees outside lured us in with the old pick up line "Was your father a thief?"
    I beat him to the punch, though, by finishing this old cliche line..."Why, because he must have stolen the stars from the sky and put them in my eyes?" He seemed shocked that I knew this line. Come on! This is such an old line, no way was I falling for it. But the day was warm and I was hungry and thirsty. Needless to say we ended up in this restaurant... and I'm glad we did! Traditional Greek folk music was played by real musicians. At one point the locals joined in to sing along with the chorus of one of the songs being played. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a meal.

Favorite Dish: The specialty is the pork Gyro (or Kebab or Souvlaki). I tried the chicken kebab as well. It was good, but the pork is by far more flavorful. We also got a taste of the Lamb kebab, compliments of the house (although having dined here 3 days in a row, we realized we weren't that special- they gave us a complimentary dish all three days) Also brought us fresh melon after the meal. The house wine is very good as well.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris: Eat with the stars!

by bonio Written Mar 5, 2003

Old restraunt, some seating outside but two big areas inside. The walls are covered in photos of the owner with apparently famous visitors eating there. We recognised only one, a French soccer player currently with AEK , but everyone else seemed able to spot household names. Oh yeah the food is magic too, huge menu of Greek favorites - we visited 3 times.

Instant Answers: Athens