Vyzantino, Athens

4 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

18 Kidathineon street, Plaka 210 32 27 368

the view from my table
    by iaint
    Souvlaki for her and moussaka for me
    by Benny.Giesbers
    The terrace
    by SirRichard
  • iaint's Profile Photo

Vizantino: loved it...

by iaint Written Dec 26, 2010

A great lunch spot on a square in Plaka. I was able to sit outside with a jacket on, 2 days before Christmas. It was 16c and sunny that day...

I just chose it because some locals were eating there - usually a reliable indicator! Could have been the owner’s family, I suppose...

A wonderful aubergine salad to start with. Then saganaki - baked eggs, cheese and country sausage. Baklava and espresso to finish up. All really good.

It cost €22 with a beer.

Technically its an estiatorion which means it will tend to specialise in baked dishes.

Favorite Dish: The aubergine salad - delicious.

the view from my table

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Vizantino: Very Nice food

by XKuger Written Dec 7, 2006

This is definitly one of the best restaurants that I ate in Plaka. The food was very good with an excellent choice for vegetarians. Its open very late and packed as it gets later in the night. I like the food so much that I in fact went back the second night to the same place.

My hotel also suggested this restaurent as one of the best and it lived up to the expectation.

Favorite Dish: I tased 1/2 the vegetarian items on the Menu and never found a bad dish. Polished off every plate. yummy.

• Vizantino: One of the better restaurants

by Benny.Giesbers Written Jul 5, 2006

I found out about this restaurant thanks to VirtualTourist. It was a great experience, the food was good and cheap. My girlfriend and I both had menu for around $20 total. Only negative point perhaps is that it's crowded (lots of locals eat here), but that's positive if you want to experience Greece to the fullest.

Vizantino/Byzantino is a must if you want quality and have a tight budget. Great atmosphere too!

Favorite Dish: It started with a typical salad, the main dish was souvlaki with rice and fries for her and moussaka for me. There was a glass of white wine included for both of us and as much free water as we wanted (although requesting a new bottle takes a while because the waiters are very busy with attracting new customers). Dessert was ice cream for her and watermelon for me. It was delicious!

Souvlaki for her and moussaka for me Hmmm, watermelon...

• Heniko's Profile Photo

Byzantino: Byzantino

by Heniko Written Apr 12, 2006

This is the restaurant of choice for many locals in the Plaka. From the outside there is nothing to distinguish it from the other more tourist-type places except for the great location in the small park on Kydatheneon street, but the food is better and influenced by the Greek clientele. . I love their roast potatoes (fourno pahtahtes) and chicken (kotopoulo). They have bottled wine and cold beer and ouzo and mezedes. The menu is in several languages including English. Look for strange and funny translations on menus here and all over Greece. It's a high form of entertainment for travelers. Galeos is not red snapper which is what all the menus tell you. It's shark, kind of a humorous translation. You can walk right in and see the food. Either ask the cook or waiter how to pronounce whatever it is you want, or drag your waiter in and point to it. It's perfectly acceptable behavior. After lunch you can buy a newspaper at the kiosk across the street and have a coffee while reading about what's going on in the rest of the world. At night they have mostly grilled food and it can get pretty festive. These are some of the best waiters in Athens too. Very attentive, fast and they all speak English

Favorite Dish: Definely have to say anything food that is Greek is great...but if I have to choose a favourite it owuld have to be the fried octopus. Served fried crispy with lemon and olives.I liked also the spinach pie (spana- ko -pita), their fish soup (psa- row -soupa) which you can get it with or without a plate of fish. Of course they have the Greek salad (hor-ee- ah -tiko), eggplant salad (mel-eetsana salata), yogurt dip (satziki), and all the standards. It's not cheap but it's not expensive either

• xaroula's Profile Photo

Vizantino: Watch your purse!

by xaroula Written Mar 18, 2006

This restaurant seems like a typical tourist place because their menu is in English and Japanese. However, the food is better than the other tourist restaurants in the square. Be careful of your bags because this square is a popular hangout for gypsies! The staff at Vyzantio is very sweet and helpful, and the prices are reasonable. They take credit cards.

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Vizantino: Real Greek Cuisine

by gale.blog.pl Updated Mar 14, 2005

We found this restaurant in Plaka. Although we were very hungry, we decided to go to a place where we could see groups of locals to make sure that the food was good.

I don't really remember what we had but I remember that it was really good and the portions were very fair.

• Vizantino: Good Food, Good Price, Great Location

by trudik Updated Aug 16, 2003

This restaurant is in a square in Plaka full of restaurants at the edges and trees in the middle. Vyzantino has a menu with more than just the usual offerings. You can sit under the trees or under the canopy and enjoy people-watching as you eat.

Favorite Dish: I ended up eating two of the usual offerings, the taramosalata (fish roe salad) and the pastitso, both of which were very good.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Taverna Vizantino: Vizantino

by SirRichard Written Sep 5, 2002

This restaurant is one of the many in Plateia Filomousou Eterias, in Kydathineon. Waiters keep asking you to seat as you pass by...

Favorite Dish: Here you can find probably the cheapest menus in Plaka. You can order for a menu WITHOUT DRINK, so is cheaper than the average, that include the drink. You can order then a jar of tap water, that is FREE!

The terrace

• angelis's Profile Photo

Anywhere in Plaka, at night,...

by angelis Written Aug 26, 2002

Anywhere in Plaka, at night, where you can see the floodlit Acropolis. (Although you will be paying for the view). Try the Taverna Vizantino.
    A lot of locals eat here so there is good food at reasonable prices for the location.

Favorite Dish: Stuffed vegetables and grilled seafood.

Instant Answers: Athens