Plaka, Athens

Know about this? Rate It!

Ioanna Kourbela shop, Plaka, Athens
    by GracesTrips
  • AcornMan's Profile Photo

Plaka: Don't shop in Athens unless you have to

by AcornMan Written Mar 24, 2004

My advice about shopping in Athens is that you avoid doing it if at all possible. Everything we saw for sale on the Plaka was considerably more expensive than we saw anywhere else in Greece, including very touristy Santorini. You'd think all the competition would drive prices down a bit, especially with all the jewelry stores on the Plaka, but we found that not to be the case at all. Save your money until you can buy things cheaper on the islands.

What to buy: None.

What to pay: A lot more than you'll spend on the islands.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Plaka: My Favorite Part of the City

by Jmill42 Written Mar 15, 2004

Chickens in Plaka??  You bet! And everything else!

I love Plaka. I know its touristy. I know its dirty. I know its crazy. Thats why I love it! There isn't anything that you can't buy here. And I love walking around listening to tourists try and bargain for a good deal, and have the locals yell back at them. The place has a certain energy that cn only be found in the heart of Athens, which for me IS Plaka. There are many flea markets and little stores, along with food stalls and restaurants. Its a great place to be at any time of the day, but I prefer it right in the middle of the morning, when everyone still has their energy for argument!

• amsterdam_vallon's Profile Photo

Plaka: Buying Souvenirs

by amsterdam_vallon Written Dec 31, 2003

Street in Plaka

Plaka is a big touristic and historic place. There's a lot of shops selling anything any tourists would love to bring back home.

Like you saw, I put the Plaka district in the tourists trap. Altought the price are generally higher than in other place, Plaka still is a must for everybody visiting athens.

What to buy: Remember that almost every store in athens will have the same things to sell.

What to pay: Only one word can explain this : BARGAIN

• Christianne's Profile Photo

Plaka

by Christianne Written Jun 11, 2003
    Plaka

The old quarter of Athens offers to the visitor a variety of things to do.
    Combine sightseeing with shopping (especially souvenis), lunch or dinner and coffee or drink.
    The old neoclassical houses, most of them renovated, will bring you back to the old Athens. when the noise and the traffic jams didn't exist.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Plaka: Plaka

by b1bob Updated Mar 1, 2003

In the Plaka

Just about anything uniquely Greek you could expect tourists to buy is sold under the shadow of the Acropolis. Special thanks to ORLANDOBR for the photo which is in place of the one I attempted, but foolishly covered the lens with my big fat American thumb.

What to buy: Because I didn't have but so much room in my black carry-on bag for but so many whatnots. The main thing I bought was 33 postcards (I got the other 33 in Naxos).

• OrlandoBR's Profile Photo

Pandrossou Street

by OrlandoBR Updated Feb 25, 2003

Pandrossou street

One of a couple of alleys parallel to Ermou Street in the Pláka district, this is the most well known for souvenir shops.

What to buy: Ouzo (Greek drink), bouzouki (Greek guitar), natural sponges, amphoras (fake ancient Greek vases), olympic memorabilia...

• jenn_d's Profile Photo

Sandal Shopping in Plaka

by jenn_d Updated Feb 10, 2003

Which one does not belong?

The best shops have the craftsman on hand. I wandered the streets until I found a pair that suited my minimalist taste.

What to buy: I should have bought two pair since I wear them nearly every other day. These sandals are the most comfortable I have owned and it will be a sad day when I am forced to retire them.

What to pay: I paid $15 USD for these little slip on sandals.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Plaka: Pandrossou street

by Jim_Eliason Updated Dec 6, 2005

Pandrossou street

Although Ermou is the modern shopping streets, for tourist the action is just south on streets like Pandrossou and Adrianou

What to buy: tourist goods

• Business Travel

• lina112's Profile Photo

Plaka: Shopping, Shopping and Shopping

by lina112 Written May 12, 2005

Definitly Plaka is the best place to make your shopping, souvernis, jewerly, cloth, shoes, leader, you will find everything in Plaka.

What to pay: All the money you want spend it

• Cruise
    • School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• Karin1S's Profile Photo

Plaka: A lot to see . . .

by Karin1S Written Apr 21, 2005

look at the shops around the plaka . . . there are a lot of things you can see . . . and of course you can buy . . .

What to buy: . . . i found wonderful things . . .

What to pay: a little expensive

• nicole8's Profile Photo

Plaka area

by nicole8 Written Aug 31, 2002

What to buy: Plaka area is most famous area for buying local souvenirs.. plenty of small shops and goods to choose from.. cheaper than those on islands.. I like the rings they sell

What to pay: cash