National Theatre, Athens
The National Theatre, for which Hadrian’s Library served as a model for the structure of the facade, was built between 1895 and 1901 by the German architect Hernest Ziller. It served as the official royal theatre for the King's guests until 1908.
In 1924 it was renamed from Royal to National Theatre. The original internal installations for the stage facilities, the lighting and heating were among the most sophisticated of its kind for their times. They were designed by Viennese mechanics and constructed in Pireus' factories.
Classical and modern repertoire is presented in Athenian theatres all year round. The two organized state theatrical companies, the National Theatre in Athens and the Northern Greece National Theatre at Thessaloniki, follow the festival program organized by the GNTO. In winter, they present noteworthy plays by Greek and foreign playwrights.
View map (click back button after viewing or close map window to return to this page)
"THE NATIONAL THEATER" :
Hadrian's Library in Athens served as a model for the structure of the monument's facade which consists of a central part immensely enriched by decorative elements, a Corinthian-style column row and two lateral parts of a typical neo-classical composition. The influence from Renascence buildings is more than evident.
The National Theater was built between 1895 and 1901.
It served as the official royal theater for the King's invitees until 1908 when it was given for public use. In 1924 it was renamed and from "Royal Theater" was thereafter called "National Theater".
By a ministerial decree of 1952, the building was identified as "in need of special protection" according to the relevant 1950 Law.
The "Central Stage" of the National Theater and the "New Stage" are currently functioning in the building.
The National Theater was built in plans made by Hernest Ziller. It served as the official royal theater for the King's invitees until 1908 when it was given for public use. In 1924 it was renamed and from "Royal Theater" was thereafter called "National Theater."