The Neoclassical Trilogy of Athens consists of the Academy, the National Library and the University of Athens.
In front of the Academy (in the picture) there are seated statues of Socrates and Plato. There are also statues of Apollo and Athena on top of two high Ionic style columns.
Located between Syntagma Square and Omonia Square along Panepistimou Street are 3 neoclassical buildings - the National Library, Athens Academy and Athens University. The Athens Academy. Completed in 1885, the Ionian style entrance mimics the eastern entrance to the Erechtheoin.
The Neo-Classical Trilogy of the National Library, the University and the Academy is very hard to miss and provides and excellent opportunity for taking lots of pictures that are relatively free of the tourist hoards. The three buildings stand out from the otherwise modern structures along Panepistimiou and have large open spaces in front of them. The Academy and the University, neither of which is open to the public, were both designed by the Hansen brothers, Danish architects (each one designed by a different brother), in the late 1880s. The National Library is open to the public, and its reading room features Doric columns inspired by the Erechthion.
Academy of Athens was built in 1855 from Danish architect Theophile Hansen.
It is next to the National library and the university of Athens(trilogy)
Located in panepistimiou str donated by the family of baron Simon Sinas
The National University complex, in the city centre, was built at the height of neo-classical fever. At a time when Athens was the capital of then small and poor Hellenic Republic, there was a focus on highlighting the glorious past. Hence this complex of buildings which very consciously attempted to link the ancient heritage of Athens with the new Greek nationalism of the 19th century.
Sadly, the bulk of the University moved out many years ago to a very ugly site in the suburbs. But the complex still bustles with students and many conferences are held here. If you get the chance take a peek inside the central building at the great hall.
A few minutes walk from the Parliament, there are these 3 famous buildings of modern Athens: the Academy, University and Library. They were all built of the marble from Mt. Pendeli and constructed by Theophilos Hansen in the 1800s.
In front of the Academy, you can see the statues of Apollo and Athena.
The country's oldest general university is the National University of Athens, founded in 1837. In front of it, there are several statues of famous Greek people.
The nearby National Library houses around 500,000 books.
In the very center of the city you’ll find three of its most elegant buildings. Situated one next to the other the Academy, the University and the National Library are along with the Parliament building the most important public buildings that were erected as soon as Athens became capital in the middle of the 19th century. The Acedemy, a neoclassic building like the other two, is the most impressive. Some of the highlights are the statues of Athena and Apollo on the top of tall columns as well as the statues of the greatest athenian philosophers, Socrates and Plato. Inside, murals from the legend of Promitheas.
The Academy of Athens is part of a three-part project, also consisting of a university and a library. All three of them are made in the 19th century.
If you are visiting Athens, you should take a look at these three building first, before you go to the Agora and the Acropolis. In every European city these building would be a major sight, but compared to the real classical building in Athens, they just look poor.
The building of the Student Club was constructed in the period between the two World Wars, with plans based on the study drawn in 1927 by the architect E. Lazarides. Today, it belongs to the National and Kapodistrian University.
By a ministerial decree of 1988, the building was identified as a work of art because of its eclectic elements on its facets and of its important theater housed in its ground-floor (which is important for the study of the theatrical development).
In 1991, its facets were restored after some rotten varnished parts started falling down. The restoration study was conducted by the Technical Services of the University of Athens.
Today, the building houses shops and the students' theater in the ground-floor and the first floor, the students' restaurant on the second and third floors, and offices on the fifth floors.
View map (click back button after viewing or close map window to return to this page)
The University of Athens forms part of the so-called "Neoclassical Trilogy" of the City of Athens: Academy - University - Library. It consists of a group of buildings that shape up a double "T", with two symmetrical courtyards.
The facade is strictly symmetrical to the arcade of rectangular pillars, set-off by an Ionian-style entrance. The bases of the columns and the capitals of the entrance are perfect replicas of the equivalent found in the Propylaea of the Acropolis. The outside statues complete the entrance's composition.
The building now serves as headquarters of the University of Athens, housing the offices of the Rectorate, the Juridical Department, the Archives and the Ceremonial Hall for official ceremonies that refer to the University community. With a wide offer of intelligence to Greek and foreign students, today the University for fills its leading role as an important European university.
The National and Capodistrian University of Athens was founded on 3 May 1837 and was housed in a residence of architect Stamatis Kleanthes, on the north east side of the Acropolis. It was the first University, not only in the newly established Greek State but also in all the Balkans and the Eastern Mediterranean in general. The "Othonian University", as it was called before taking its present name, "National and Capodistrian University of Athens", consisted of four faculties: Theology, Law, Medicine and Arts (which included applied sciences and mathematics). It had 33 professors, 52 students and 75 non-matriculated "auditors". In November 1841, new classes began in a new building (at Penepistimiou), a design of the Danish architect Christian Hansen.
Between 1895 and 1911 an average of one thousand new students entered the faculties each year, a figure which rose to two thousand at the end of World War I. This led to the decision to introduce entrance examinations for all the faculties, beginning with the academic year 1927-28. Since 1954 the number of students admitted each year has been fixed by the Ministry of Education and Religion, by proposal of the faculties.
A major change in the structure of the University came about in 1904 when the Faculty of Arts was split into two separate faculties: that of arts and that of sciences, the latter consisting of the departments of physics and mathematics and the School of Pharmacy. In 1919 a department of chemistry was added and in 1922 the School of Pharmacy was renamed a Department. A further change came about when the School of Dentistry was added to the Faculty of Medicine. In the 1960's construction work began on the University campus in the suburb of Ilissia. The Ilissia campus now houses the Schools of Philosophy, Theology and Sciences.
The Academy of Athens forms the last part of the so-called "Neoclassical Trilogy" of the City of. It consists of aesthetically distinct parts that form a harmonic ensemble. A corridor connects the two lateral wings to the main body of the building, which is set-off by its Ionian-style entrance and its big pediment. The entrance has elements originating from the eastern side of the Erechtheion on the Acropolis. The predominant material on the facets is marble.
It was built in two phases, in 1859-1863 and 1868-1885, based on studies of the Danish architect Theophile Hansen and it is believed to be his most exquisite work in Greece. Hansen himself was also supervising the construction up to 1861 when Ziller took over. The embossed compositions on the central pediment and the statues outside are works of the sculptor Drosis. The embossed compositions on the eight small pediments are work by Melnizki (1875) and the wall-paintings in the interior were made by Grupenckel.
The main donator to finance the construction was the family of the Baron Simon Sinas, Ambassador of Greece in Vienna, Berlin and Munich. In 1887, the architect Hernest Ziller, acting as proxy of Sinas' heirs, delivered the building complete to the then Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis.
From time to time, preservation and restoration works take place. The facets, the statues and other decorating elements were cleaned in 1980 and the wooden roofs were restored between 1990 and 1992.
View map (click back button after viewing or close map window to return to this page)
The National Library also forms part of the so-called "Neoclassical Trilogy" of the city of Athens: the Academy, the University and the Library. It consists of three solid parts, out of which the one in the middle, which is also the biggest, houses the reading room. To enter this part, one has to pass through a Doric-style row of columns (designed after the Temple of Hephaestus in the Ancient Agora of Thission, which served as its model), after climbing a monumental curved double Renascence style staircase.
The reading room, surrounded by Ionian-style columns, is covered by a glass ceiling. The cast-iron constructions of the bookstands were referred to as exceptional back in their time. In general, the building is considered to be a characteristic sample of mature Neoclassicism.
It was built between 1887 and 1902, based on a study of the Danish architect, Theophile Hansen, brother of Cristian Hansen. Hernest Ziller was the supervising architect who also studied the entrance stairways and the main bookstands. As early as in 1858, King Otto had ordered Hansen to make a study for the construction of a Library next to the University, that had already started being built.
The first public Library in Greece was founded in the island of Aegina in 1829 by the then Governor I. Kapodistrias and in 1834 was moved to Athens where, before ending up next to the University building, it had been temporarily housed in various old buildings. In 1884 the then Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis took the final initiative in constructing the Library. Today, it houses the most complete public library of Greece.
From the Neoclassical Trilogy, the University comprises the building in the middle. It was built in 1864, a few dacades after Athens became the capital of the new-born state of Greece. The highlight is definitely the frieze, paintings that depict the revival of sciences and arts in Greece after its 4-century occupation by the Ottoman Empire. The statues in front are of some of the greatest intellectuals the nation produced before and during the Revolution. This is actually the building that the street it is situated is unofficially named after: Panepistimiou str. The street is actually "Eleftheriou Venizelou" .
A typical example of the 19th-century neoclassical architecture, the imposing building of the Academy of Athens was founded in 1859 on the plans of the Danish architect Theophile Hansen and under the supervision of the German architect Ernst Ziller. The monumental building has the aspect of an amphiprostyle Ionian temple, with elements borrowed from the Erechtheion. Its sculpture decoration is particularly elaborate, the most dominant examples being the statues of Apollo and Athens on top of Ionian columns and the seated statues of Socrates and Plato.