It's also called horologion (timepiece) and is an octagonal Pentelic marble clocktower. It is being overlooked by the acropolis and the parthenon and was erected by the Macedonian astronomer Andronicos around 50 BCE. To the ancients, the winds had divine powers and on the frieze of each side below the conical rooftop there is a sculpted figure of the wind deity ruling the compass point to which it faces. The term Horologion also acknowledges the other features of the tower that Andronicos incorporated: sundials and a complicated internal water clock with a supply from the Acropolis above.
From Dioskouron Street continue to Areos Street which will lead you to the square where a monument is located. It is called the Horologion or Clock of Andronikos Kyrrhestes, after the architect from Syros who built it in the 1st BC. It served as waterclock, sundial and weathervane. Its eight sides are orientated to the eight points of the horizon, which correspond to the eight winds whose names and symbols are carved out of the upper portion
was constructed near the east end of the Roman agora by the astronomer Andronicos, from Kyrrhos in Macedonia. It is now known as the Tower of the Winds.
The name of the structure relates to the representations of eight winds, Boreas (N), Kaikias (NE), Apeliotes (E), Euros (SE), Notos (S), Lips (SW), Zephyros (W), and Skiron (NW), sculpted on the eight facades.
The octagonal tower, 3,20 metres long on each side, stands on a base of three steps and is built of white Pentelic marble. It has a conical roof, a cylindrical annex on the south side and two Corinthian porches, one on the NE and one on the NW side. There were sundials on the external walls and an elaborate water clock in the interior.
In the early Christian period, the Tower of the Winds was converted into a church or a baptesterion of an adjacent church, while the area outside the NE entrance was occupied by a Christian cemetery. In the 15th century AD, Cyriacus of Ancona mentions the monument as the temple of Aeolos while an anonymous traveller refers to it as a church. In the 18th century it was used as the tekke of the Dervishes.
The monument had been half-buried by the earth accumulated over the centuries. It was excavated between 1837 and 1845 by the Greek Archaeological Society. Restoration work was carried out between 1916-1919 by An. Orlandos and again in 1976 by the 1st Ephorate of Antiquities.
View map (click back button after viewing or close map window to return to this page)
The Tower of Winds, found in the Roman Agora, is an octagonal tower which was created as a meteorological station and clock. The building is also called the Clock of Andronikos – based on the astronomer Andronikos who built it. Carved depictions of the 8 winds decorate the sides of the monument.
Iron rods with carved lines were erected high up in the corners, that indicated the hours of the day. On days when there was no sunlight, a water clock inside the tower used to show the time.
Sorry, the picture is not so clear as it was shot from within a taxi.