Tzistarakis Mosque, Athens

4 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Tzistarakis Mosque
    by penny_g
  • Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque
    Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
  • Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque
    Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
  • penny_g's Profile Photo

    Tzami - the mosque, minus minaret

    by penny_g Written Nov 26, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    It is located on Μοναστηράκι and is easily accessible by metro. It was built in 1759 and has no minaret. This is still a problem for the Muslim community of Athens, since this is one of the very few European capitals without a place for the Muslims to pray.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Tzistarakis Mosque

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 24, 2008

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This Mosque stands in front of the Monastiraki Station.
    Tzistarakis (or Tsistarakis) was a governor (voivode) of Athens at the middle of the eighteenth century who constructed this Mosque. He brought to this mosque some columns from the Temple of Olympian Zeus.

    As he did it without due permission of the Sultan he was heavily fined and chased out from his position. The minaret was destroyed after 1821. The Mosque once used as prison is now the Museum of Greek Poplar Art.

    You may watch my high resolution photo of Athens on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 37º 58' 33.43" N 23º 43' 32.96" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Dzisdaraki Mosque .

    Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque Athens - Tzistarakis Mosque
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Museum - The Museum of Greek Folk Art

    by janbeeu Updated Jul 19, 2005

    0.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Museum of Greek Folk Art belongs to the state and comes under the Ministry of Culture. It was founded in 1918 under the name "Museum of Greek Handicrafts" and was housed in the Tzami. In 1923 it was renamed the "National Museum of Decorative Arts". It was given its present name in 1959.

    Until 1973 the museum was housed in the Tzami in Monastiraki square. Its main functions were then transferred to the building at Kydathinaion 17 in Plaka. There are museum annexes in the Tzami where the "V. Kyriazopoulos collection of folk pottery" now is housed as well as in the building at Kyrrestou 8, known as the "Baths of Athena" and the building at Thespidos 8 in Plaka.

    The Museum owns rich collections of objects representing all branches of folk art: embroidery, weaving, costumes, masquerades, shadow theatre, silverwork, metalwork, pottery, woodcarving, folk painting (works of Theophilos Hatzimichail) and stone carving. The collection dates from 1650 until today.

    View map (click back button after viewing or close map window to return to this page)

    Museum of Greek Folk Art

    Was this review helpful?

  • lina112's Profile Photo

    The Traditional Pottery V. Kyriazopoulos Collectio

    by lina112 Written May 10, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In 1.974 Vassilios Kyriazopoulos a professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, danated to the Museum of Greek Flok Art his rich collection of pottery. The collection includes 794 objects created mainly around the first decades of the 20 th century.

    Open daily , except Tuesdays: 9.00-14.30
    Fee: 2 euros.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • amsterdam_vallon's Profile Photo

    Mosque of the lower fountain

    by amsterdam_vallon Written Jan 1, 2004

    Built in 1759 by the Turkish governor of Athens, Jisdaraki, as is confirmed by the inscription above the entrance. According to tradition, Jisdaraki, wanting to make good quality lime in order to build the mosque, took a marble column from the temple of Olympian Zeus (Olypieion) or more likely from the Library of Hadrian close by. Nowadays the mosque houses a rich collection of pottery of the museum of Folk Art.

    Opening hours :
    09.00 -14.30 except Tuesday

    Mosque of the lower fountain

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

    Tzistarakis Mosque Ceramics Museum

    by Jim_Eliason Written Dec 4, 2005

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This Ottoman Mosque on Monastiraki square has been converted into a ceramics museum. The mosque dates from 1759.

    Tzistarakis Mosque
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Athens

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

30 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Tzistarakis Mosque
4.0 out of 5 stars
2 Reviews
0.1 miles away
Show Prices
4.0 out of 5 stars
4 Reviews
0.1 miles away
Show Prices
4.5 out of 5 stars
3 Reviews
0.2 miles away
Show Prices

View all Athens hotels