Tourist Attractions in Athens

• Overpriced restaurants
    by katza

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Athens

• biscits's Profile Photo

Beware the "sweet woman" selling linen

by biscits Written Sep 26, 2011

While walking around Hadrians Library a sweet woman was walking to each woman saying 'madam, please, only 5 euro'. She showed each of us a beautifyl tablecloth size linen. But when we got back to the hotel we realized she had switched linens and we all had linen the size of a bath towel.

• Robin020's Profile Photo

Tickets for metro,bus and tram

by Robin020 Written Jun 13, 2011

You can buy the bus Tickets (esitirio in Greek) from Kiosk cost 0, 40 cent (kiosk=periptero in Greek) not from the bus Driver, and regarding the metro ticket you can purchase it from the reception down in the metro or from the machine , and that will cost you 0,80 cent.

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

Visit Acropolis first.

by samitbabu Updated Aug 16, 2010

The trap about the entrance tickets to the museums and places of interest in Athens city.

Unique Suggestions: The ticket for Acropolis is charged at 12 Euros and includes pass to the other city tourist attractions and historical places . This ticket is valid for one week. It is wise to begin your city sightseeing from here.

But in case you start off with the other attractions and museums , you have to pay off at each place and then buy the ticket to Acropolis which is still charged at 12 Euros.
    Happy viewing :)

• Museum Visits

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Be Alert in Trains or Buses Pickpockets work !

by greekcypriot Updated Apr 26, 2010

Note on Metro Safety: Pickpockets work the metro and the train to and from the airport. Keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket with your hand in it on crowded trains and buses. Ladies carry your handbags zipped if possible and close to your chest. People with backpacks are an easy target. If you think you are safe with cargo pants with zipped side pockets, forget it. These guys are so adept that they can cut through any pocket and you won't even know until you put your hand in and find everything gone. They also use confusion as a weapon, for example stumbling into a crowded car or bumping into you.

I was in the train at Kato Patisia ...it was really crowded. Never had I seen such crowd on a train. I was alert. I was holding tide my handbag and even had my shoulder on top and pressing so that nobody can open it. As soon as the train set off, I felt something like a mouse in my bag ..but I was still pressing with my elbow knowing that there was a hand in there. It was dangerous even to call, but I could not move at all. The trip lasted 3 minutes to the next station. Since I was very near the door, I had to get off to let people who wanted to step off leave. I looked behind and there was a huge guy with black glasses looking at me.
    The zip of the bag was wide open, I put my hand in but he had not managed to reach the wallet. I was even more alert and I had the bag almost up to my chest after that incident. There were two girls standing next to me but they were so tiny and short that you could not tell that they were working for that guy. I reached home feeling happy that I had my money, I washed my hands and went to take my bag to go to Athens. I was shocked to see my leather bag that I left on the sofa minutes ago, cut with a knive ....luckily my money was there but I had to throw my new bag away. There was a cut of about 20 cms.

Unique Suggestions: If you want to be safe make photo copies of your passport and your driver's license and leave the originals and all but one credit card in your safe in your hotel room when you plan to use the metro or buses or really, anytime you go out in Athens because you never know when you may be in a crowd and that is where these guys work. Hold your money and credit card in your hand in your pocket. If you get pick-pocketed don't expect much help from the police. You will just end up wasting your time. Go straight to your hotel and cancel your credit cards that were stolen. (That's why you should only carry one with you).

• Trains

• MariaMitts's Profile Photo

Beggers

by MariaMitts Written Jan 6, 2008

Watch out for the beggers in Athens. This was our first run in with a begger and being the gullable tourist we got sucked in and then followed by one.
    What ever you do dont give them money... if the truth be known they probably have more money than you and i put together.

• mardaska's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris

by mardaska Written Feb 28, 2007

This restaurant is quite popular to the visitors. Maybe because it is located in one of the most touristic areas....on Monastiraki square, just in front of the metro and the "ilektrikos" station.
    The place is almost always packed inside and outside...It serves kebab, souvlaki etc....

BUT....it is one of the most dirty places around....They once served to me a tzatziki which was exposed to flies for hours (and I was watching it)....It was the last time they saw me there....

Fun Alternatives: "Thanassis" serves almost the same things and it is just next to Bairaktaris. Go there instead.

• mardaska's Profile Photo

Bairaktaris

by mardaska Written Feb 28, 2007

Restaurant Name: Bairaktaris

• jeoren's Profile Photo

Salesmen at Monasteraki Square

by jeoren Written Nov 15, 2006

Don't buy from the salesman at Monasteraki Square. They offer you perfume at low prices. they admit it's stolen; but the stuff is all fake. Simply avoid them by taking your mobile phone pretending you are calling.

• Casino and Gambling

• Negotiate the Price

by WillAntoniou Written Aug 6, 2006

WHen you are buying something in the famous shopping areas of Athens like Plaka or Monastiraki, you will be overcharged. The second the store owner hears you speak another language, the price goes up. But it can be negotiated, he would rather sell you something for less than not sell it at all.

Unique Suggestions: Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

Fun Alternatives: there isn't really an alternative unfortunately

• Study Abroad

• Ruai's Profile Photo

For men

by Ruai Written May 25, 2006

There are still a couple of nasty old guys lurking in Syndagma square who will come up to male tourists, ask for the time, start a conversation and then invite you to a 'nice' bar nearby. In reality the bar is just a racket to get money out of you and if you don't have it then heavies will appear and escort you to the nearest ATM. Despite being an old and well-known trick people are still falling for this! There are about 3 of these bars left in Plaka and I have no idea why the police don't just close them down (local heritage industry? :-) Generally the worst spot is around Syndagma Post office. I finally lost all patience with being polite and started telling them I didn't have a wristwatch while walking past.

What makes this very annoying is that in years gone by I've been told that genuinely being stopped and invited for a drink by a Greek wasn't uncommon. Greeks have a strong sense of hospitality and I have on occasion been the recipient of kindness from complete strangers who have pride in their country and want you to enjoy your stay. This mostly happens outside Athens though!

Unique Suggestions: Don't go near them!

• riku2's Profile Photo

one day three island tour

by riku2 Updated May 4, 2006

Beware of the one day three island tours offered from athens, these go to Aegina, Poros and Hydra. They are offered by "key tours" but other compaines sell them too (on the boat you are welcomed "on behalf of your company" since they can't name the company itself. ths is a clue to the days endless tourist rip off opportunities.
    The boat will be packed with as many package tourists as possible. There will barely be anywhere to sit (inside the boat or out). If sitting outside then take old clothes since the deck chairs are dirty and you will be constantly brushing off cigarette ash that lands on you from nearby smokers.
    You get 45 min on one island. 10 min of this is taken queueing to get off the boat (see photo).
    When boarding you are grabbed and your photo is taken with people in traditional greek costume. In the afternoon the PA constantly blares out "still time to buy your lovely photos".
    Most of the island time is on the most boring island - where by no co-incidence they offer a bus tour (at extra cost). It's a truly miserable day, rounded off by a tour of other hotels while your bus drops off the other passengers.

Unique Suggestions: Take old clothes.
    When coming back don't take the last leg of the cruise boat. buy your own ticket for the fast boat from aegina. You'll have more time on the island and will not suffer the return trip or arrival back in piraeus. This will cost you an extra 11e but you've already spent 88e on the cruise anyway.

Fun Alternatives: make up your own island tour on the fast boats. you'll spend less time sitting on a boat and more time on the islands. allow max time in hyda - it's wonderful and has no cars or motorbikes. only people and donkeys. I would skip aegina totally. Poros and hydra would make a nice day out from athens.
    you can buy tickets over the internet. book early on weekends since sunday night return tickets sell out early (eg 1 week in advance).
    book a fast boat (sea cat or hydrofoil). The sea journey itself is quite boring.

one cruise line is http://www.hellenicseaways.gr

• Cruise

• Heniko's Profile Photo

The bargain in the Plaka

by Heniko Updated Apr 13, 2006

Just about shop in the Plaka has the shopkeeper standing outside, trying to sell you every kind of bargain, deal and once-in-a-lifetime treasure...

Unique Suggestions: When you want to buy something, I suggest as common sense compare prices...and bargain with the shopkeeper. A simple Greek vase could start priced 25O euro and go all the way down to about 1O euro...sooo...it pays to deal yourself too...

Fun Alternatives: Go away from the touristy part of Athens, into the towns...and buy what you like there...

• Heniko's Profile Photo

Street Preformers

by Heniko Written Apr 13, 2006

Many interesting street preformances in Athens, som eof the best I have seen actually in the world...but the scam and caution lays in that these preformers dont preform for free. Of course not, this is there money maker...so beware if you watch too long or take a photo, to willing to pay them...or they will actually run after you...

Unique Suggestions: Watch from a far if you are not willing to pay... or watch them only if you see a large crowd watching also..

• siso010's Profile Photo

Shops closing very early.!

by siso010 Written Jul 30, 2005

Well I've met this twice,I went to go out for some night life and shopping at 11 PM but unfortunly I found everything closed except in Monstriki area it was very awake.!
    but all shops in Ermou street,Omonia sqaure was closed so you want for some dinner and see other people not for shopping at this time.

Unique Suggestions: You can just go little bit early

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Olympic prices

by SirRichard Written Sep 21, 2004

Last time I was in Athens I (early august 2004) found the prices of most touristic things (drinks, food, hotels) much much higher than 2 years before. I don't know if it was the "Euro effect" or the "Olympics effect" but I'm afraid they won't go down again after summer...

• Business Travel

Latest: Apr 11, 2014
Airotel Parthenon
Plaka Hotel

Instant Answers: Athens

Comments

Athens Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Athens locals.
Map of Athens