Areas to avoid, Athens

Know about this?

• ukcol's Profile Photo

night time omonia sq

by ukcol Written Jun 24, 2004

i stayed around this region,
    not to far from Omonia sq,
    lots of refuges,gangs,
    i had no trouble,
    but i could sence tension,
    stay to well lit areas,
    dress more like a business man,
    than a tourist.....
    infact i had more trouble in
    SYNTAGMA AREA,
    from pests trying to con you to go to there
    bar/club to buy a drink...
    these are scams,
    you will pay hundreds of euro's
    for a drink in these places....

• Not the best idea

by janbeeu Updated Jul 19, 2005

Zappion

As like in every place you visit, you have to act a little responsible. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket, don't leave your mobile phone or camera unattended. 90% op the people will be able to tell you are a tourist and some of those people may want to spoil your vacation. Being a little cautious always is healthy.

There is one place in Athens where you do not want to go walking late in the evening or in the middle of the night. The unlit part of the National Gardens near the Zappion is an area you want to avoid. Quite a few illegal Albanians wonder around there during the night waiting to see what they can 'borrow' from you. The park is safe during the day but once it gets dark you better stay on the lit streets and avenues edging the gardens.

• Don't Go

by woodelf Written Jul 23, 2012

Sad to say Athens has become far too dangerous they'll rob you in broad daylight - in MacDonalds, the train anywhere.
    I was supposed to stay 2 1/2 weeks but after the past 4 days I can't wait to get out - going to UK instead.
    Just glad to escape with my life - be warned Greece is no place for tourists these days.

• Trains
    • Singles

• Hollywood Pub in Plaka Watch out!

by dziechu Written Nov 24, 2011

Hello All. Been there. They wanted to rob me in bright day light as well. I met a guy, he said he's a tourist from Italy, he went my direction so we talked for a bit. He offered a dring in a pub nearby. And it was near, so I agreed - why not have a nice cold drink in the hot. We went into Hollywood Pub. I ordered an Ouzo, he too, then the waitress joined and asked if we could buy her a drink -we agreed to share the bill. Little chit-chat and the bartender brings a bill for 300 EURO. The Guy takes out 150 like nothing happened. I say -it's way too much. They block my way out and want me to pay. Luckily I had 50 EUR with me and gave them only 30 from my one pocket. But they wanted more, so I sy I'm calling the police. They won't let me use the phone. So what I do, is I push away the bartender away, jump the table and chairs and run out of the place. I find a policeman, ask for help, but he only points me to the police station to search for help there. Overall long story with the police and a couple of hours lost, but in the end after some more sightseeing I return early evening to that pub and call the police station where I was earlier as we agreed with the lady officer that if it would be open she would send a patrol there. It was open, police arrived after 45 mins!!! The bartender was fu**ing surprised to see me and the police. There was no discussion, as soon as he saw me he had my 30 EUR in his hand to give it back to me. All in all- a happy end, could have ended differently had they drugged me. Maybe a lesson learned for them and will think twice before trying to fu*k a Polish tourist again :)Police told me they know about it but....it's Greece, so what can u expect.

• Outisde of the main squares,...

by StretfordEnd Written Sep 8, 2002

Outisde of the main squares, the streets can be dark, so take care walking at night. Be careful too of the large number of stray dogs wandering around. I have now been corrected in that Rabies is not common in Greece, and i apologise for any offence or confusion caused by the earlier posting.

• the kamaki myth - Athens

by everygrainofsand Written Jun 23, 2008

People no longer find this entertaining, with the HIV danger around.
    In addition the town planning authorities have changed Athens quite drastically in the early eighties, from what it used to look like before.
    Given the dangers with sex-tourism, for the reason explained, it is only a myth continuated for obviously political purposes.
    The "kamaki tip" writer is -probably- a member of some hostile group.

• Robbery in Athens' Acropolis area

by pebster08 Written Jul 14, 2014

Beware of the streets underneath the Acropolis area. I was violently robbed yesterday in windy streets underneath where the Greek flag hangs of the Acropolis. A man in baseball cap, sunglasses, and bright t-shirt pushed me down the stairs and yanked my bag. He appeared to be in his late 30s or early 40s and about 1.80m and medium built. I was wearing a cross-body bag and tried to fight him. I was with another girl and while she tried to help me because the bag strap was cutting into my neck, he pushed her aside and ended up scrapping her knee pretty bad on the rocks. I had my bag again, but he came after me again and pushed me on the stairs. I ended up scrapping my elbow and injuring my back. The man as we found out later from people who saw him running away was carrying a knife.

We saw the man earlier and he appeared to be "jogging". But it appears that he goes around the area and hunts for potential victims. My friend and I are both Asians. There were others around us at certain points, but he may have been following us and found an opportune moment when we were alone. It was Sunday at around 5:30pm. Earlier there was a gardener who was pruning the plants, and he asked us where we were from. I replied, California, and he said he's from Albania. After that he disappeared. I don't know if there is a network of people who work together and the gardener alerted the guy to follow and rob us. I have no idea.

The people who lived there were really nice and helped us with our wounds and called the police. Back at the hostel, the receptionist mentioned that his friend also got robbed there and perhaps by the same guy. So exercise extra precaution in the area. It was really traumatizing for me and I hope it won't happen to others.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Archeology
    • Women's Travel

• Pushy pickpockets in Athens

by milli04 Written Aug 12, 2014

Just had three days in Athens. Nice areas to visit and lots of interesting things to see. One word of warning. Pickpockets appear to be plentiful. Sunday, took a trip on the tram from city centre to the beach area. Lots of people on the tram doing the same so we were standing at the rear of the carriage. A group of men jumped on and crushed up making us feel extremely uncomfortable. It was so worrying we tried to leave at a station but they prevented us from getting off. When they did eventually leave we discovered that our bag had been opened and all cash and credit cards etc were gone. They were so skilled that they even zipped it shut before they left. The police said that this happens all the time. You can draw your own conclusions from that. I do not think that the criminals were Greek. Looking at them and listening to their accents I suspect they were eastern European.
    We have travelled a lot over more than thirty years and consider ourselves to be careful but this experience shows that you need to be more than just that. Please be aware when in Athens. Great place but sadly there are also some bad people around.

• Seniors
    • Trains

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Omonia Square

by BorneoGrrl Written Sep 4, 2007

Omonia Square area

A Greek friend of mine told me to avoid going to Omonia Square at night because there are "shady people" hanging around that area.

• Business Travel

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Omonia Square at night

by gale.blog.pl Updated Mar 14, 2005

Omonia Square is not a nice place, especially late evening and at night. At night please stay away of the place and neighboring streets unless you want to get robbed.

• Theme Park Trips

Instant Answers: Athens

• Jan 29, 2014 at 3:56 AM

The Greek police have no badge to show you such other officers of other countries. They have a police identity card. I know this for sure because I'm Greek.

• Dec 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM

i was working on a yacht based in the marina flisvos trocadero, so i went to athens quit often. these bars are dangerous, i fell into a pub love, near this holliwood after a man on syntagma talked me into it. the waitresss was very pretty, from kenia, i payed a few glasses of sparkling wine and then the bill was too high, i said to him i will pay 7 euros per glass and he agreed and changed my bill, he was polite and not rude, but i avoided to go there again

• ThrasivoulasP's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

ok

• technofiend1's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM

interestingly ...as someone who was in athens only 3 months and doesnt know how the crisis effected...these reviews mainly aimed at theft and omonia/monastraki....sure is helpful tho