Safety Tips in Athens

Old Man Hustler & unsuspecting tourist
    by DenMurphy

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Athens

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

nothing really to worry about

by mindcrime Updated Sep 10, 2013

Hotels
    It’s better to book a hotel in advance and try to be in the city center, between Syntagma and Monastiraki if possible so to have the basic districts and monuments around. But even if you live somewhere else there will be for sure at least one bus leading to the center. The traffic is huge some days though so it’s better not to loose all your day in the bus, especially if you don’t have many days to spend in Athens. The bus X95 (5 euro) from the airport will take you directly to Syntagma square.

Safety
    Athens is one of the safest big cities in Europe, you wont have any big trouble if you just use common sense and watch out for your valuables in croweded areas like in every touristic city. Pick pockets also like the packed local buses/trolley buses. There are a lot of beggars the last years but they don’t show any offensive behavior, just keep walking...
    During the night avoid the area around Omonoia square. Syntagma square and Plaka are very safe, you will see plenty of locals walking around because we like to go to clubs late. If you avoid badly-lit streets you will feel more comfortable anyway in any district.

Demonstrations
    We have a lot, we like to participate but yes, sometimes it’s dangerous because they turn violent, into a fight with the police or other riots happen at the same. The area between Omonoia and Syntagma is mainly affected during big demonstrations, just say away from there during the protests.

Strikes
    Not nice for a tourist but you may fall into a strike that may cause change of your travel plans. The last years the train network has seen lots of strikes but also local transport in Athens, less frequent in ferries. Air Traffic controllers often announce participation in general strikes too, keep in touch with your airline.

Cars
    The Greeks aren’t good drivers, they don’t respect the signs and their car is their kingdom, the pedestrians are like ants :) Cross carefully the streets and even if you see a green light watch out for any car, they don’t stop sometimes :(
    If you want to drive inside Athens, good luck! You will stuck in traffic for good, and the other drivers will drive you nuts in 5’

Finally, take note of 171, it’s the number of Tourist Police (you can call from anywhere in Greece, daily, 24hours) where you can find help if you are in trouble or just have difficulties with services, shops etc call them also to ask anything about bus timetables, boats, general strikes etc

• Athens Safe As Most Cities

by patore Written May 26, 2013

Athens is as safe as any other city we have visited. We have been here a week and have seen no evidence of thieving or danger. On the contrary, the people here are friendly and most hospitable. The city is no more dangerous than London, New York or Paris.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Beggars in Athens!

by greekcypriot Written Apr 13, 2011

You will often come across beggars in Athens.
    Some of them exercise this as a hobby because they are lazy to work.
    Of course they are not Greeks but all sorts of other nationalities who have come to the country.
    Not everyone should be trusted.
    The one in my photo is limb ok

A beggar in Athens
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Last admittance!

by Durfun Updated Jan 31, 2011

Please note entrance into the Acropolis is denied after 1500 hours during the winter months**!! Lots of people turn back disappointed; I guess no one expects a sight to shut so early.

Once in, however, people can stay on for a 'bit' longer :)

They are very concerned about the restoration & preservation of their heritage sights.

** 'Winter months' in this instance means low season for tourism, i.e. between October and mid April. Don't worry, during the peak season it's open till 1900!

However March has temperatures in the 20s, so one would expect longer visiting hours :-( It's due to the fact that more staff would need to be employed, perhaps not viewed as worthwhile when there are not enough visitors.

Read the signs Note the times!
    • Architecture

• iaint's Profile Photo

Dogs

by iaint Written Jan 1, 2011

I'd read in my guide book about stray dogs being a potential problem, and how they can get together in packs. Apparently the solution is neutering them rather than rounding them up and killing them off.

With one serious exception, they were not a problem. A couple followed my around the Acropolis, but they were entirely friendly. The same at the Temple of Zeus.

The exception was when I ran past the Temple of Zeus on the return leg of my epic run up the Lykavittos Hill. 2 or 3 ran alongside me (one of them very close by) barking aggressively. That was scary. I had visions of spending Christmas Day in casualty.

So the jury is out on neutering, as far as I'm concerned. A round up and a whiff of gas sounds better...

(To be clear, I love dogs and the only reason I don't have one is the problem of having it taken care of if I'm going on a trip, BUT whether stray or not, I expect them to be under control at all times and not a threat to innocent pedestrians).

• Museum Visits

• OzzRod's Profile Photo

Metro pickpockets

by OzzRod Updated Feb 7, 2010

While the risk of being pick-pocketed in crowded places in any major city should be common knowledge even seasoned travellers can be caught. Last week, after years of incident-free travel, we were done in the middle of the day on the Athens Metro, between Monastiraki and Omonoia stations on the older green line. This was our first experience and it largely reflected our own stupidity in letting our guard down after so many years without trouble. Worse, we knew beforehand that this part of the Athens Metro is a high risk area. Nevertheless the experience left us very wary about using the metro thereafter, particularly after being subjected to another but unsuccessful attack in the same place the next day. The brazenness and the skill of the pickpockets is unbelievable.

We had first travelled by the newer metro from Athens airport to Monastiraki station in the city centre without mishap or concern; despite carrying a suitcase and backpack each. Changing to the green line brought us into a stream of lunchtime commuters travelling through Omonoia and Victoria on the green line. We inevitably stood out a mile. As we moved to board the train we were effectively and somewhat frighteningly forced by the crowd into the carriage. We ended up being trapped near the doors, unable to move. The risk was obvious but there was nothing we could do about it; we realised what was likely to happen but could do nothing to prevent it.

We felt nothing untoward at the time, but when we “escaped” at the next station, all four zippered pockets on my wife’s jacket had been undone. Fortunately all accesses to our baggage were padlocked and our passports were more safely stored, but 300 Euro in notes was gone. There was some sympathy from one of the local railway police officers and we did manage to file a formal report at the local police station but we knew we were not going to get the money back.

Our concerns were obviously heightened by this event, but barely 24 hours later we were targeted on the train again, between the same stations, this time by a more obvious effort to prevent us getting off the train when we wanted to, followed by a fumbled attempt to take my wallet (not much cash and no cards now).

So fellow travellers be warned; don’t let your guard down for a minute and do be aware of how skilfully these thieves can access your belongings.

• Trains

Streetdogs.

by leics Updated Jan 28, 2010

There are lots and lots of dogs on Athens streets.

Most of them, I think, are not actually 'owned'. Those with collars (red and blue especially) are looked after by animal charities (neutered and fed) but I saw quite a lot without collars.

They didn't cause me any trouble, and all seem happy enough just to do their doggy thing, wanderting around, sleeping in comfortable places etc etc.

They are not running in packs, which would be scary.

But don't be tempted to stroke them and, if you are with children, make sure they don't either. I saw one foolish man get nipped for doing exactly that.

If you see a sleeping dog, let it lie undisturbed.

Streetdog1 Streetdog 2

• leics's Profile Photo

If you have walking difficulties....

by leics Written Apr 12, 2009

.....you are going to find Athens difficult.

Very few of the sites and places I visited were truly accessible for wheelchairs. You can see from the photo what the surface of the Acropolis 'wheelchair' route is.

Whoever is pushing will have his or her work cut out.

Pavements are often narrow, uneven and slippery and there are many steps, especially in the Plaka area.

Most sites such as Kermeikos (superb) and Pnyx have only limited access and exploring them if you have difficulty in walking would not be easy.

If you do not have 'normal' mobility I think you must accept that your visit to Athens is likely to be more curtailed than it might be in some other European cities.

Access route on the Acropolis

Lycavitos funicular.

by leics Written Apr 12, 2009

You may well (and should) decide to go up Lycavitos hill to see the fantastic vity vieews from the top.

You may also decide to take the funicular, because it's quite a climb (with steps) to even get there, let alone to the top.

It's a perfectly normal funicular................ but don't expect views. I was surprised, because I'd assumed it would trundle its way up the outside of the hill. It doesn't; it stays in a tunnel all the way.

It cost 6 euro return (April 2009) and, if I hadn't already paid, I think I would have walked back down.

The views are worth the visit though.

Not much of a view. But excellent from the top!

Watch your step 2

by leics Written Apr 10, 2009

Keramikos is a fascinating archeological site by the Thissio Metro stations.

It contains part of the ancient cemetery, with superb tombs, as well as buildings and a really lovely museum.

It also contains, to my amazement and pleasure, tortoises!

Watch your step....because I very nearly trod on this baby tortoise, barely 10cm in length and wandering rather sleepily (it was early April) through the grassy site.

I later saw an adult tortoise........much bigger, more easily seen.......but even so, don't stand on them!

Baby tortoise. Adult tortoise.

Watch your step 1

by leics Written Apr 10, 2009

Marble is a beautiful stone.

But when it is used for street surfaces, or for paving, it can be exceptionally slippery. This is the case when it is dry, but when it is wet it is lethal.

There are a lot of marble pavements, steps and surfaces in Athens. Even when attempts have been made to give grip (by chipping holes in the surface) it doesn't really work.

Make sure that whatever you are wearing on your feet has a reasonable grip and do take care. Good footwear may not always be the height of fashion, but it's better than a broken wrist or ankle ruining your holiday!

Lovely but lethal!

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Don't talk loud in the museums.

by Dizzyhead Updated Apr 6, 2009

Dont use your voice in the musuems in a loud voice. Many people are there to learn and enjoy the interesting museum. Be nice to all interested people, and dont talk loud with your friends. if you need to do that, go some wher else.

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Bar Scams!!!

by wilocrek Updated Mar 21, 2009

Being that I'm not exactly a frequent visitor of bar and taverns in Europe the following may not exactly be a scam but policy but I think its worth noting. While at a bar in the Plata section of Athens with a friend we were scammed out of 75 euro per person. We were sitting at the bar and the two female bartenders who took our orders started talking to us and then asked us if we minded if they had a drink...while I thought it was an odd request I shrugged and said yes as did my friend. After they finished their drink they asked if we minded if they had another...again I thought that was strange...but I just figured they were really polite. Finally after three times of asking our permission for them to have a drink they handed us each a bill that included a 25 euro charge for each of the three drinks they had. They never once mentioned that we were buying them drinks much less the cost. My friend speaks a little Greek and he said there weren't any signs up stating that patrons buy the bartenders drinks without ever officially agreeing to the transaction. We refused to pay and the owner went ballistic and tried to make us pay...we just walked out. So if your male and planning to go drinking in bars that have female bartenders be aware if they ask you permission to have a drink.

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Don't Touch!

by Susumarie Updated Oct 19, 2008

At the base of the path leading up to the Acropolis, just after coming through the booth paying admission, is a "patio" area with sculpture type artwork on display. They are not behind any type of protection, and there are no signs saying keep away. Well, my daughter just thought she would pose next to one of these, and we got put in our place quickly! There was an ancient looking woman sitting off to the side, you would think she was just a tourist resting before continuing on up, but not so! A guard in clever disguise, and she flew up to pounce on my unsuspecting daughter to get her grubby little paws off the sculpture. About scared the pants off her!

So, don't touch, and beware of harmless looking little old ladies...

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Take Water

by Susumarie Written Oct 10, 2008

Everyone writes about seeing the Acropolis, of course, and yes, it is a must. But along that lines, do make sure you take along your own supply of water, as there is no water supply as you are hiking on up. There is a bathroom at the top, but again, you are best off carrying a good sized water bottle. I had my "city-safe shoulder bag" (http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___HandbagsLB399?Args=)
    which has a compartment for a water bottle, very convenient. When we first set off for Europe, my daughter laughed at that bag, but she quit quickly...

Heading up with H2O Parthenon being refurbished The Erechtheion

Omiros Hotel Athens
Airotel Parthenon
Plaka Hotel

Instant Answers: Athens

Comments

Athens Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Athens locals.
Map of Athens