Taxis, Athens

Know about this?

plenty of taxis around Piraeus
    by angiebabe
  • passing a taxi near the ferry port, Piraeus
    passing a taxi near the ferry port,...
    by angiebabe
    price board at the ferry terminals
  • Metro from Airport

by Who_cares1 Written Dec 29, 2013

We'll at least they were pro's. I think we were picked up by a spotter leaving the Airport via the Metro. A gang of up to 10 or more individuals skillfully isolated us from our travelling companions in the subway car then separated me and my wife. The car seemed incredibly crowded with people which was a screen they created. When we went to leave the car at our stop they blocked the exit and the pushing an shoving commenced. My wife caught sight of the girl opening her purse and putting her hand inside it and warned her off luckily. I was pinned and pushed and while I tried to hang onto our luggage and crush my pockets against a seat. Unfortunately they got my wallet which contained minimal ID/Cards and money which still created an inconvenience. My sense of freedom in the tourist world also took a large hit too.
    Judging from the reports here it appears to be the wild wild west again in Athens. There is no security in there Metro. Cameras exist but no security people. The skill which these guys applied in their attack speaks to a long period off uninterrupted operations and little risk. The real Greeks in retrospect read the situation in the subway car and got out of there quickly before the attack began which points to a public which has become complacent as you might see in any tourist trap.
    You can't guard yourself against this stuff as Taxi's are another accepted scam at the Airport other than using some form of shuttle with a large number of people in transit you are in trouble from the get go.
    After loving Greece for many years I have now put it on the black list until it sharpens up. Even Turkey was safer when we went there subsequently which should make the Greeks think twice as they will always say not to trust those Turks.

Shame on you Greece

• Seniors

• Avoid Athens Taxi

by sofanon Written Oct 17, 2011

We had one day in Athens from a cruise ship. At the harbor there was a taxi stand, and because we were a party of six, we hired 2 taxis at 15 Euros each to take us to the Acropolis. Instead, they took us to an isolated location where they asked us to get out of the taxis and gave us a high-pressure pitch to hire them for the day. Four hours and $160 Euros later they abandoned us at a place we did not ask to go to, and we had to hire two more cabs to get back to the ship. We got to see the Acropolis, but that's all we saw.

• Cruise

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Taking a Taxi in Athens

by greekcypriot Updated Apr 13, 2011

Taxis in Athens

Before you get in a taxi from the airport to the centre of Athens, ask how much approximately it will cost you, and make sure that the taxi driver knows well where to take you.

If you realize that he is taking you round and round, the moment you get to the hotel, avoid giving him the money, but call the police.

This seldom happens, but you should be alert.

• Photography

• AndyRG's Profile Photo

Overcharging?

by AndyRG Updated Feb 28, 2010

The taxi drivers outside the airport of Athens, "Eleftherios Venizelos", usually follow all the rules and don't overcharge anymore the tourists as many times in the past. However, be careful if you still meet such a bad professional.

• Argyro_Athens's Profile Photo

The worst in the world!

by Argyro_Athens Written Nov 28, 2009

I live in Athens and the worst thing to avoid are the taxis. Taxi- drivers are rude, trying to take more money from you, drive like being in hell! My advice is DO NOT TAKE TAXIS IN ATHENS! Try the metro station, which is quick and safe. The last time I took a taxi from the port of Piraeus, the driver tried to take the double tariff from me! I really wanted to break his head! So, please tourists have in mind that maybe a taxi-driver will try to steal money from you...

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Catch a taxi arranged from your hotel!vs sharks..

by angiebabe Updated Sep 25, 2009

plenty of taxis around Piraeus

My hotel manager/reception guy offered to ring a taxi for me but Id seen them on the main street not far from where I was staying and thought that might be quicker, easier and cheaper - he didnt stress anything different - but what a hell of a time I had by doing that!!

I was told the price should be about 15 euro - and not far to Piraeus ferry terminals - but when I got to the taxis on the main road a few of them together were adamant there was a new price now of 25 euro - and otherwise I had to walk down the road 'about 10 minutes to other taxis for Piraeus'.

I walked off down the road trying to find these other taxis with nothing in sight and the worry that I had a ferry to catch - and taxis I tried to flag down wouldnt stop - I asked a few people along the way and they kept pointing down that way - until really it was ridiculous - still no taxis would stop - or one or two did and asked me where I wanted to go and replied no, no to my destination - by then it was just a nightmare and I could see I was going to miss my ferry - it was too late to walk back to my hotel - I actually had phoned my hotel and he had said keep trying to flag a taxi down.

Eventually a taxi - with another passenger - stopped and explained that these taxis just dont want to go to Piraeus unless theyve got other passengers going in the same direction so they can make as much money as possible - especially from tourists.

And the journey is only about 15 minutes!

I missed my planned ferry but had the bonus of finding an excellently helpful agent where I bought all my island hopping tickets from along with a hotel at a fairly good price for my time on Santorini the next night as well as all sorts of info and recommendations. Was able to leave my suitcase with her and walk off down along the main drag of Piraeus in the early evening sun, get some photos, some food and drinks from a Carrefor supermarket and spend an hour in an internet cafe. So I probably ended up with a better deal by going on an overnight ferry - with bed included for only about 30 euro.

When I was headed for my 1030 pm ferry that night though I came across price lists for taxis to Athens!.......

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Be ware of taxi scams at Syntagma square.

by cachaseiro Written Mar 1, 2009

When you see the taxis lining up for clients at Syntagnma square you will often see that the first couple of taxis in the line do not have their "vacant light" on the roof on.
    That is cause they don't want to drive local people but only tourists who they can rip off.
    These guys with the light off will never use the meter, but always quote you a price before the trip that is way too high for the distance driven, but many tourists don't know that and will take the cab anyway.

Make sure that whenever you take a taxi in Athens and in particualr at Syntagma square that you make him use the meter.
    If he refuses to do that then get out and take another cab or you will be paying much more than you should for the ride.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• 22scootergal's Profile Photo

ESTABLISH THE PRICE FIRST!!

by 22scootergal Written Jun 26, 2007

Taxi drivers are hustlers! They will try to rush you into
    their car, then make small talk about the relatives they
    have in whatever country you come from, then rip you
    off when you arrive. ALWAYS ask "how much to___"
    If he tries to change the price when you arrive due to
    traffic or whatever, stand firm. If that doesn't work, get
    out a piece of paper and start writing down his vehicle #
    and license # then threaten to call the authorities. He
    will then jump into his car and drive away. TRUE STORY.

• jajossif's Profile Photo

TAXIS: The whole truth ...

by jajossif Written Feb 10, 2007

So you have heard the horror stories of the TAXIS in Athens well here is the whole truth:

Taxis are OBLIGATED to use a metter when you flag them down. The minute they see you are a tourist they try to negotiate a flat rate with you .. without using the metter... this is illegal and it goes against the traffic departments regulations.

Always show them the TAXIMETER and say ON ..... or "Anapseto" it means Turn it on in Greek.
    Once on ... you are not in the safe zone yet ... You will notice a small number 1,2,3,4...
    on the upper left hand or right hand corner.

THIS IS THE TARIFF CHARGE:

1 - Means normal tarrif and it should be used 18 hours a day from 6:00 am - 12:00 am
    2- Night Tariff - It should be used between 12:01 am - 5:59 am (This is DOUBLE PRICE)
    3 - Tariff for special occasions .... out of city travel (Going from Athens to a Village)
    4 - WARNING ... TARIFF 4 doesnt exist .. if you see Tariff 4 it means that its a special scam program that the driver has installed and is robbing you blind.

RULE OF THUMB - If you flag a TAXI on the Street .. they need to have the meter on and the tarif should be 1 or 2 depending the times above.

AIRPORT - So you got of your 17 hour flight to beautifull Athens, insist to have the metter on ... and if the taxi driver says NO ... Flag the Tourist Police Man ... blue uniform with white diagnal leather stripe accross his chest... They speak english and will help you.

Be brave with the Drivers... they will try to dupe you any way they can.
    Dont show all your money, and dont offer them a wad of cash and say "here take what you want" believe it or not I have seen that happen :)

SOMETHING TO ALSO KNOW - Taxi drivers once they have a customer inside tend to double up on rides going the same way. This although an illegal practice, it is the norm so do be allarmed if you are in the Taxi and he is stopping to ask other customers where they are going. He is trying to double up the ride.

SAFE TRAVELS FRIENDS

• Business Travel

• They will rip you off!!!!!

by chaoticfun Written Aug 1, 2006

BEWARE!!!! The taxi's in Athens are not base solely upon distance, but also upon time in the taxi. Its completely to the drivers advantage to get stuck in traffic. Additionally, we were in a taxi on only 3 occassions and they all tried to charge us for more than the meter stated, and I mean for something like 20Euros more! It was horrid. Our taxi from the airport to the hotel tried to charge us 45Euros when the meter said 22. We had the same drive from the hotel to the airport a few days later and they tried to charge us 55Euro!!!
    The metro however, was easy and a great alternative to the taxi's!

• Vieri4's Profile Photo

Taxi in Athens

by Vieri4 Written Nov 30, 2005

Trying to catch a taxi can be a very annoying sporting event! I asked a parked taxi if he could take me to my hotel and he replied that it wasn't that far away and that he was waiting to collect someone. I couldn't recall where my hotel was and was in what I can only describe as the Piccadilly Circus equivalent of Athens, where there were plently of taxi's driving by.

I found that you had to run alongside the taxi as they wouldn't stop for you just slow down and shout out you destination, if it's not a decent fare they drive off. There were lots of dodgy characters about and slowly getting closer and me getting more stressed, the original driver came over and saw what was going to happen and took me back to my hotel thankfully!

The same principle goes for any city but obviously be vigilant all the time, Athens is a very busy hustle and bustle city and for some reason I never felt entirely safe. Pick pocketers like to especially operate on the tube, young kids are the main thiefs.

If you are going to visit the Acropolis make sure your up very early in the morning. Athens can get as hot as 40 degrees by midday so its best to get there before eight or so to avoid the heat when climbing to the top.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Taxis in Athens

by lashr1999 Written Oct 15, 2005

One warning I have is about the cabs in Athens, some cabby are honest and some of them are not. The one who brought me to the hotel was one of the dishonest ones. He stated that the cab ride to the hotel was 50Euro. I gave him the $50 Euro. Then, he said that I gave him a 10 Euro not a 50 Euro. Because I was not sure, I gave him another 50 Euro. When I checked my money upstairs I knew he had lied since all the bills I had just gotten from the ATM were 50 Euro!! Additionally, I learned this trip should have been less than 30 Euros! The machine did not give out 10 Euro and I did not spend anything from there to here. Also, another warning is that a lot of cabbie only work a certain area and will not take you if you are going far away. Also, unless it’s a really famous spot, cabs hailed on the street do not know where to go. Your bet is to call a cab service from the hotel or other major area and tell them where you want to go so they can give the driver directions. This is unlike other major cities where you can get drunk, head for a cab and hand them the hotel address to get to your hotel safely. This may not work in Athens since many of the hailed cabs do not know where they are going.

• Study Abroad

• Wingshot's Profile Photo

Taxi Rip-Offs!

by Wingshot Updated Jun 23, 2005

Almost everyone I talked that took a taxi was ripped off by the driver. Travel to the airport is easier by bus, and much cheaper. There is a bus station near downtown with service to the airport every 30 minutes 24 hours per day. Don't remember the bus number, but it's near the spot where they have the changing of the guards.

I'd budget about 30 minutes to an hour for travel to the airport.

• Fake Airport "Taxis"

by grkboiler Written Dec 11, 2004

An airport taxi is probably the most necessary taxi you will take in Athens and the easiest way to get from the airport to your hotel with all of your bags. The queue can be long, but stay in it. If someone approaches you and offers a ride, don't follow them. This happened to my parents.

2 men approached them not knowing they were also Greek and said if they didn't want to stay in line and wait they had a taxi for them. They walked to the "taxi" and it turned out to be a box truck. My mom caught them by surprise when she started yelling in Greek and the men backed off and left. Who knows what could have happened?

• Taxis

by grkboiler Written Dec 11, 2004

Most of Athens' taxi drivers, also known as scam artists or other more harsh words, are the cream of the crop. They are to be avoided unless it is absolutely necessary. I stopped taking taxis in Athens, although I will admit not all of my experiences were negative.

Some taxis will rip you off by driving around through the maze of streets to run up the meter. One time on what was supposed to be a shorter drive than it turned out to be, I asked the driver "Eimaste konta?" (are we close?). He assured me we would arrive soon. When I finally got to my destination, my cousin told me the driver took the scenic route.

For other drivers, Ohi Day (No Day) is every day, not just on 28 October. If you tell the driver where you want to go, sometimes he will simply say, "ohi", or no, and leave you to find another taxi. I have had drivers refuse me because they "didn't feel like driving to that part of Athens" or their shift is "almost over and they have to go the opposite way to get home". Thanks for nothing.

Have fun!