Related Prefecture of Attica Favorites Tips

by gwendar

Most Viewed Favorites in Prefecture of Attica

• Which Greek island to choose

by DoctorSummer Written Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: It really is not worth spending only 1-2 days on each island, its a lot of fuss. You should stay at least 3-4 days.

There are islands that are half a day away from Athens, but there are others that are only a couple of hours away.

To find out which is the best Greek island I suggest visiting this website:

You simply enter your search criteria and you instantly get the list with all Greek islands that are close or far away, small or large, etc.

ATHENS-THE CAPITAL CITY

by Christianne Updated Sep 21, 2010

Favorite thing: The city's name comes from the goddess Athena who gave the city an olive tree. This olive tree was given to protect the city after a conflict with the god Poseidon.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ATHENS, have a look at my ATHENS PAGE

Athens-Anafiotika, Plaka Athens-Monastiraki
    • Museum Visits

PORTO RAFTI

by Christianne Updated Sep 11, 2010

Favorite thing: Porto Rafti has the official mane of Limin Mesogeias of Limani Mesogeias,which means port of Mesogeia.It is a seaside town in the east coast of Attica, 35km from the centre of Athens.In Porto Rafti, numerous Athenians have their weekend houses.

Porto Rafti Porto Rafti Porto Rafti Porto Rafti-Saint Spyridon church

LAVRIO

by Christianne Updated Sep 11, 2010

Favorite thing: Lavrion is a town in southeastern part of Attica and the seat of the municipality of Lavreotiki.
    It is a sea port less important than Pireaus.In lavrio existed silver mines in the antiquity.
    Lavrion is the port to use to get to Kea or Tzia in the Cyclades. In high season there are more Cycladic destinations for Cyclades as well.
    Access to Lavrio can be in two possible ways:1) via the seaside avenue (Vari,Saronida,Fokaia,Sounio) 2) via Attiki Odos that crosses Mesogeia (Koropi,Markopoulo,Keratea).

THE BUILDING WITH THE CLOCK
    Belonged to the Greek Metal Company (1870-1880).It was the place from where they entered and went out the company's employees.The building is located at the port of Lavrion, opposite the Town Hall.The bulding is designed as a historic monument.

Lavrio-the port,the building with the clock Lavrio Lavrio

SOUNIO

by Christianne Updated Sep 11, 2010

Favorite thing: Sounio is located at the southernmost tip of Attica peninsula.The temple of Poseidon, the god of the sea is there.
    According to the legend, Aegeus,the king of Athens died there thus gave his name to the Aegean Sea.The story says the while he was enjoying the view from the cape, he saw a black sail on the ship of his son Theseus (Thisseas) (he forgot to lift the white sail), coming back from Crete. Thinking that his son had been killed by Minotaur, a monster half man half bull he jumped from the cliff.
    The Temple of Poseidon is one of the most important sanctuaries in Attiki. The finds show that the site was inhabited in the prehistoric period.
    The sanctuary of Sounio is first mentionned in the Odyssey as the place where Menelaus stopped on coming back from Troy to bury his helmsman,Phrontes Onetorides.
    The temple lies 60m above sea.It was built between 450 and 440 BC.It was a magnificent temple that consisted of 34 Doric columns.Of them remain today only 15.
    Cape Sounion is famous for its amazing sunset.

Cape Sounion-Sanctuary of Poseidon Sounio-picture taken from the house of a friend Sounio-the beach Sounio-the beach

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Good beaches near Atens

by Durfun Written Mar 9, 2010

Favorite thing: On the mainland there's a nice beach at Shinias, near Marathon, northeast of Athens; and a closer one near Athens, in Glyfada.

Fondest memory: The Parthenon in Athens, of course!

And Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion for the sunsets.

• Photography

Attica

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 14, 2009

Favorite thing: Attica is a periphery, containing Athens. Attica is subdivided into the prefectures of Athens, Piraeus, East Attica and West Attica.
    Located in the south of the country, Attica covers about 3,808 square kilometers.

In addition to Athens, it contains within its area the cities of Peiraeus, Eleusis, Megara, Laurium, and Marathon, as well as a small part of the Peloponnese peninsula and the islands of Salamis, Aegina, Poros, Hydra, Spetses, Kythira, and Antikythera.

You may watch Attica at my 4 min 01 sec VIDEO-Clip Moscow-Athens Flight from my YouTube channel with Conquest of Paradise Vangelis music.

Attica - Sounio Cape Attica - Sounio Cape Attica

Athens

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Athens is the capital and largest city of Greece, dominates the Attica periphery: as one of the world's oldest cities, its recorded history spans at least 3,000 years.

You may watch my 2 min 58 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens from my YouTube channel with popular Greek music.

4 min 41 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens Akropolis from my YouTube channel with popular Sirtaki music.

6 min 35 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens Akropolis Slide-show from my YouTube channel with popular Vangelis music.

2 min 01 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens by night from my YouTube channel with popular music by Vangelis.

2 min 27 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens Part I from my YouTube channel with the music from a popular film.

3 min 10 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens Part II from my YouTube channel with popular Greek music.

2 min 48 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Athens Part III from my YouTube channel with popular Greek music.

Athens Athens Athens Athens Athens

Sounio

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: The site is a popular day excursion for tourists from Athens, with sunset over the Aegean Sea viewed from the ruins a sought-after spectacle.
    You will see a fabulous sunset which is considered to be the most wonderful in Attica!

You may watch my 56 photos of Sounio in high resolution on my Slide-show Sounio.

You may watch my 2 min 33 sec VIDEO-Clip Athens-Sounio Part II out of my VT-Tube or Athens-Sounio Part II out of my YouTube with popular Greek music.

You may watch my 2 min 24 sec VIDEO-Clip Athens-Sounio Part I out of my VT-Tube or Athens-Sounio Part I out of my YouTube with popular Greek music.

You may watch my 2 min 51 sec VIDEO-Clip Athens-Sounio Slide-show out of my VT-Tube or Athens-Sounio Slide-show out of my YouTube with popular Greek music.

You may watch my 1 min 31 sec VIDEO-Clip Sounio Temple of Poseidon out of my VT-Tube or Sounio Temple of Poseidon out of my YouTube with popular Greek music by Vangelis.

You may watch my 3 min 37 sec VIDEO-Clip Sounio Slide-show out of my VT-Tube or Sounio Slide-show out of my YouTube with popular Greek music by Vangelis.

Sounio - Temple of Poseidon Sounio Sounio Sounio

Vraona

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: The modern Brauron, known as Vravronas, is a tiny settlement of Markopoulo located nearly 1 km southeast of the archaeological site. The distance from the city of Athens is 35 km , from Airport 11 km. It contains dozens of homes; the population in 1991 was 90.

After Mare Nostrum Hotel Thalasso was built at the beach of the wonderful bay the population increased I think. The urban area lies about 200 m northward and is linked with a road between Markopoulo and Artemis (Loutsa).

My 36-pics high-resolution SLIDE-Show Greece Vravrona from my WebShot page.

You may watch my
    4 min 01 sec VIDEO-Clip Moscow-Athens Flight from my YouTube channel with the popular "Conquest of Paradise" music by Vangelis.

2 min 27 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Airport Athens - Vravrona trip from my YouTube channel with Chet Atkins "Sirtaki" music.

3 min 21 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona Hotel Mare Nostrum (Part I) from my YouTube channel or Greece Vravrona Hotel Mare Nostrum from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Dynata Dynata" song.

2 min 04 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona Hotel Mare Nostrum (Part II) from my YouTube or Greece Vravrona Hotel Mare Nostrum from my VT-Tube with the classic "Sirtaki" music by Mikis Theodorakis out of the famous "Greek Zobra" (1960th).

3 min 55 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona Dawn and by night from my YouTube or Greece Vravrona Dawn and by night from my VT-Tube with Mihalis Xatzigiannis music.

2 min 22 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona Walking around area from my YouTube or Greece Vravrona Walking around area from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Kenuria Agapi" song.

3 min 48 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona-Brauron Sanctuary of Artemis from my YouTube or Greece Vravrona-Brauron Sanctuary of Artemis from my VT-Tube with Sirtaki music.

3 min 15 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Vravrona-Airport Athens by Mouzenidis Travel from my YouTube or Greece Vravrona – Airport from my VT-Tube.

Vraona - Mare Nostrum Hotel Vraona Vraona Vraona Vraona

Aegina Island

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Aegina lies in the centre of the Argosaronic Gulf at the distance about 28 km from Piraeus. When we were going to Poros by cruise ship Giorgis it was situated to the west of our starboard. I could watch its shores very attentively.

We were going back from Hydra Island when Aegina was to the east. So I could watch its opposite shores. Aegina is roughly triangular in shape, approximately 15 km from east to west and 10 km from north to south. An extinct volcano constitutes two thirds of Aegina.
    The southern volcanic part of the island is rugged and mountainous, and largely barren. Its highest rise is the conical Mount Oros (about 500 m) in the south, and the Panhellenian ridge stretches northward with narrow fertile valleys on either side.

You may watch my 4 min 07 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Aegina Island and Pireas by night from my YouTube channel or Greece Aegina Island from my VT-Tube.

7 min 53 sec VIDEO-Clip Traditional Greek Folk Show at Giorgis (Part I) from my YouTube channel or Greece Cruise over Poros, Hydra and Aegina Islands (Part I) from my VT-Tube.

9 min 34 sec VIDEO-Clip Traditional Greek Folk Show at Giorgis (Part II) from my YouTube channel or Greece Cruise over Poros, Hydra and Aegina Islands (Part II) from my VT-Tube.

6 min 49 sec VIDEO-Clip Traditional Greek Folk Show at Giorgis (Part III) from my YouTube channel

55 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Aegina St Nectarios Temple from my YouTube channel or Greece Aegina St Nektarios Temple from my VT-Tube.

Aegina Island - Temple of Aphaia Aegina Island Aegina Island Aegina Island Aegina Island

Hydra Island

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Hydra Island is one of the most un-spoiled and interesting of the Greek islands, is a small rocky island in the Argo Saronic Gulf, south east out of the Athens port of Piraeus and within sight of the southern Peloponnese mainland.

You may watch my 42-pics high resolution SLIDE-Show Hydra Island from my WebShot page.

You may watch my 4 min 24 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Hydra Island from my YouTube channel or Greece Hydra Island from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Kenuria Agapi" song.

Hydra Island Hydra Island Hydra Island Hydra Island Hydra Island

Poros Island

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Poros is one of the most popular and unspoiled of the smaller Greek Islands. This naturally beautiful island is one of the most southerly in the chain of the volcanic Argo - Saronic Islands.

It lies in the south-west of the Saronic Gulf, opposite the Argolida in the Peloponnese. The picturesque and animated harbour and Poros Town are situated on Sferia Island. The approach to Poros by ferry is especially picturesque.

You may watch my 25-pic high resolution SLIDE-Show Poros Island from my WebShot page.

You may watch my 1 min 24 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Poros Island Cruise from my YouTube channel or Greece Poros Island from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Dinata Dinata" song.

or 4 min 06 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Pireas-Poros Island cruise from my YouTube channel with the popular Antique "Greek Megamix" song.

Poros Island Poros Island Poros Island Poros Island Poros Island
    • Cruise

Piraeus

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Actually, Piraeus is the western part of the Athens coastal zone.
    The Saronic Gulf and its islands of Salamis (5 minutes) and Aegina (1hr) with Hydra, Poros and Spetses (5hrs) close behind are visible from the heights of the Acropolis.
    Salamis, the very closest island to Athens is historically important because in ancient times, the Athenian navy, under Themistokles, defeated the Persian, under Xerxes, in the worlds first recorded naval encounter.

You may watch my 37-pics high resolution SLIDE-Show Piraeus and Saronic Gulf from my WebShot page.

One day cruise over Saronic Gulf and its three Islands: Poros, Hydra and Aegina is the best way to learn this area in short time. You may watch my
    1 min 10 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Piraeus port Cruise departure from my YouTube channel or Greece Piraeus Port Cruise Departure from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Opa-Opa" song.

4 min 06 sec VIDEO-Clip Greece Piraeus-Poros Island cruise from my YouTube channel or Greece Pireas-Poros Island cruise from my VT-Tube with the popular Antique "Greek Megamix" song.

Piraeus Port Piraeus Piraeus Piraeus Piraeus
    • Cruise

ANAVYSSOS

by Christianne Updated Apr 7, 2011

Favorite thing: Anavyssos is a suburb located in South East Attica. This is the place where many Athenians have their weekend houses.The beauty of the beaches Anavyssos is unique.

Mavro Lithari-Anavyssos Mavro Lithari-Christianna Mavro Lithari-Radmilo Mavro Lithari-Anavyssos

Prefecture of Attica Hotels

10 Reviews - 15 Photos
Poros Hotels
5 Reviews - 31 Photos

Instant Answers: Prefecture of Attica

Comments

Prefecture of Attica Favorites

Reviews and photos of Prefecture of Attica favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Prefecture of Attica sightseeing.
Map of Prefecture of Attica