Piraeus Tourist Traps

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Piraeus

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Back to the hotel by taxi instead of bus

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Feb 17, 2008

Piraeus port dark in the evening

This trap I’ve constructed by myself.
    When our ship arrived to Piraeus port after completing the cruise over Saronic Gulf and its islands it was already late and dark (8.30 PM). It was heavy raining and passengers were leaving the ship for a long time hiding under their umbrellas. The orchestra continued playing and I went on taking my video while the buses with tourists one after another were leaving the square in front of the harbor.

When I came to the parking of buses there were only few of them. I searched several minutes but couldn’t find our bus of Muzenidis Travel! So I decided that I had been late to the bus and it went to the hotel in Vravrona without me! I decided that it was my fault and I didn’t ring up the guide because I didn’t want to disturb other tourists and return the bus back to take me to the hotel.

When the last bus left the square I stayed quite alone in darkness under the rain with two video cameras and tripod in my hands… What a trap! Nothing to do except taking a taxi and come back to the hotel in Vravrona (about 60 kilometers from Piraeus). It took me two hours (the driver hadn’t any map and stopped ten times to know the correct way to Vravrona!) and devastated my purse on 50 euros.

And now the most exciting! All my experiences were in vain! I didn't know then that when I was staying at the square under heavy rain in darkness in front of the ship our group was inside the ship because our bus didn't arrived yet and they were waiting for it not knowing that I had already gone to the hotel by taxi! Poor our guide when he learned that lost a tourist (me)! How lucky he was when he met me in the hotel without any claim from me!

So I have been punished for my slowness and absent-mindedness!

• Cruise

• yobei's Profile Photo

Swindling with a smile

by yobei Written Jul 8, 2008

Everyone from taxi drivers to restaurant and shop owners want to charge 2 or 3 times the price for everything. Watch the meter, if it seems high, you're right. Ask about how much the fare will be before you get in the cab. They will put you on night or holiday fare if they can and the meter goes up fast. Also, the menu might look reasonable, but whatever they are trying to sell you verbally is at least 5X the price. The same in Santorini. We paid $15 for a juice! It was 30 Euros for two juice drinks and a dessert.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Great views, at a price.

by planxty Updated Jan 29, 2005

View over piraeus, greece.

It's difficult to describe this as a true tourist trap as I was taken there by local friends, and it seemed to be nearly exclusively locals who patronised it, but this is rather more a warning against prices and service.

The place is the Bowling Centre restaurant in Piraeus. There are undoubtedly stunning views over Piraeus / Athens and the sea, but service was extremely poor (my friends kept apologising for it) and the prices very high for the area.

it is located at Profitas Ilias on the Hill of Kastella and is co-located, as the name suggests, with the bowling alley.

Unique Suggestions: Visit just for a coffee or drink - the food is very expensive.

Fun Alternatives: No real alternatives, it appears to have the location market cornered just there,

Instant Answers: Piraeus

Comments

Piraeus Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Piraeus tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Piraeus sightseeing.