Sounio Restaurants

Merida Restaurant
    by LoriPori

Most Recent Restaurants in Sounio

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

cafe restaurant near the temple: cafe restaurant near the temple

by mindcrime Written Feb 28, 2013

Near the entrance of the ancient temple you see a café/restaurant which is usually full of people in the afternoon with people waiting there for the sunset while they have nice view of the temple of Poseidon.

The prices are more expensive than average but not outrageous. We never ate something, usually we take coffee or beer. There’s also a small store with souvenirs but we noticed the same guidebooks about Sounio with the ticket office but they sell them for higher prices.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

MERIDA RESTAURANT: FANTASTIC SWORDFISH

by LoriPori Written Jun 13, 2007

Merida Restaurant

Sunday, May 20, 3007
    After our wonderful visit to the Temple of Poseidon, it was time to have a bite to eat. Janet suggested a seaside restaurant, located along the scenic Saronic coast, just outside the town of Legrena, called the MERIDA RESTAURANT.
    We all ordered swordfish, and a huge slab of grilled swordfish steak was placed before us. I had never had it before and it was certainly a culinary delight. It was just like eating a white sirloin steak, it was that good. It was pricey, 47.50 Euros just for the swordfish steak, but soooo worth it. We also had fried zucchini rings and eggplant. For dessert we had Greek yogourt with Quince sauce.
    Total bill for three 72.50 Euros.

• Antigoni: One to avoid...

by AshKetchum Written Jan 25, 2007

I am writing here to warn people of a taverna in Sounio called 'Antigoni'. From all appearances it seems to be an average and unassuming taverna. I was thus fooled into thinking it might be a good place for a typical Greek lunch. I was unfortunately gravely mistaken about this assumption.

I ordered 5 inexpensive dishes - tsitiki, fried aubergine, Greek salad, beef in tomato sauce and some chips. Whilst ordering I was informed that they didn't have a menu as such so I ordered without one. Big mistake.

The food itself was nothing special. I live in Athens and am very familiar with Greek dishes and their average price. However for the five dishes I ordered I was charged 52 Euros. The Greek salad alone had cost 9 euros. This is a dish that never costs more than 5 euros, even in the most upmarket of Athenian tavernas.

As soon as I queried the bill a menu was promptly produced for me. I was astonished. When I claimed that they had lied to me when they had said that no menu as such existed they responded by saying as a customer I was obliged to go to the kitchen and find a menu; they, apparently, were not obliged to bring the menu to me.

When I queried the bill further I was met with a confrontational lady who was incredibly rude and abusive. Furthermore she carried a glass of wine in one hand and was obviously intoxicated.

Although I was very polite and reasonable with my query she started to shout at me, saying that if I was unhappy with the bill I must come from the villages and that I should shut up and go and eat fast food. She then shouted that I should never return to the taverna. She has nothing to fear on that count.

The whole experience was quite traumatic and disappointing and it marred my trip to Sounio. I have since reported her and her taverna to the Greek authorities.

I would strongly advise anyone against visiting Antigoni. The food is mediocre, the prices are criminal and the staff are abusive and dishonest.

• Antigoni: One to avoid

by AshKetchum Written Jan 22, 2007

• EKLY's Profile Photo

nothing special

by EKLY Written Dec 10, 2006

there is only one restaurant in Sunio. It seemed to me nothing special, there is a small gift shop at the entrance of the reataurant and it was double priced. So I did not tried the restaurant, I recommend everyone to take a bottle of water especially in the summer time.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

O Elias: Seafood and Ouzo

by johngayton Written Jul 17, 2006

Who ate all the fries?

I'm not sure if I have translated this from the Greek accurately but I think O Elias is the English name for this little waterside taverna here at Cape Sounio sitting on the edge of the bay with Posiedon's Temple atop the cliff to the West.

Janet and I enjoyed a very late, very leisurely, lunch here (5 pm is far too early here in Greece to be descibed as Dinner!) just chilling over a seafood feast washed down with a carafe of ouzo and watching the boats arrive at the bay as we awaited the beginnings of sunset before our ascent to the Temple.

As befits the location the menu is predominantly fishy and the service relaxed and informal. Arriving early evening the restaurant was fairly quiet but was filling up rapidly as the evening progressed. Like the food the decor is simple and unpretentious and pricewise is more than reasonable given the location and quality.

Favorite Dish: Perfectly cooked octopus with just the right amount of chew, a flavoursome taramasalata, excellent lightly coated calamari, good bread, home made fries and of course the ouzo all made for a splendid relaxing repast and at a shade over 30 euros was not wallet busting either :)

This made for a perfect "mood-setter" before our visit to the Temple.

• Beaches

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Cafe: Fair but Expensive

by gale.blog.pl Updated Jun 5, 2006

There are one or two cafes in Cape Sounio. They serve modest coffee at very high prices. I would recommend that you take something to drink (in summer season a bottle of mineral water is a must) with you unless you intend to spend quite a lot of money. Definetely Sounio is not the place to visit for a coffee.

The cafes offer soft drinks, snacks and some shadow but - as I said above - the prices are relatively high, perfect for the desperate ones ;-)

• Architecture

• infodigger's Profile Photo

Syrtaki: On the way to the temple of Poseidon

by infodigger Written Jan 24, 2006
    Outside view

Not really much to say about. Syrtaki has very good food and is an excellent choice. The lobster pasta is the dish that this restaurant is known for.

Favorite Dish: Lobster pasta. It's just so good (if you like lobster).

• infodigger's Profile Photo

Artemis: Quality food

by infodigger Written Jan 24, 2006

I have been so many times in Artemis that I can't recall. Many well over a hundred times the last 20 years. There are many choices and this restaurant serves as a typical greek one. Expect a nice tavern with quality food.

Favorite Dish: Try the cheese pie. It's really tasty!!

• janetanne's Profile Photo

Merida: Fantastic Fish is Fresh Fish

by janetanne Updated Oct 10, 2005

Fresh Fish is Fantastic Fish

For the Freshest and best fish all along the Saronic Gulf, the restaurant/taverna has my vote. Merida has been owned and operated by the same family for two generations and the hospitality is shown in the old fashioned Greek way! If you go one time, you will be remembered and treated like a long-time customer from then on.

The kitchen is clean, the tables are well served and there is always a smile to greet you. Besides the fact that the food is all far and above average when it comes to quality and freshness.

Don't let it's location disuade you. Even though it is located on the opposite side of the beach road and appears not to have a sea view, this is not entirely true. You can see the sea, though in the distance, and the location does not distract in the quality of the food served!

It is well worth the extra drive down the coast on a Sunday morning to visit this excellent establishment for a fresh fish lunch!

Favorite Dish: Where should I start? With the small fish that give the restaurant its name, "Merida?" Or with the fried Kalamari and Sfagree? Perhaps you prefer to begin with Octopus grilled to perfection or a delicately fried 'Dover Sole?' Wonderful! Don't forget to try one of the salads, all made that day. I always like to order the eggplant salad, a tart, tangy combination of pureed roasted eggplant, lemon, red peppers and garlic; great for dipping a piece of hot village bread! Oh, I am getting hungry already. Finally, when you think you have no room for anything else, you will delight in the freshly made thick Greek yogart smuthered in a rich sweet Quince sauce! Pure endulgance!

• TheView's Profile Photo

I do not remember the name: Seafood it really have to be seafood here!

by TheView Updated Apr 22, 2007

Its all about the view ;-)

Nice place to enjoy a seafood dinner with a wonderful view to the tempel of Poseidon.

Favorite Dish: Octopus, fish, roast cheese and greek salad.

Instant Answers: Sounio

Comments

Sounio Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sounio restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sounio sightseeing.