Cefalonia Island Shopping

by zizkov

Most Recent Shopping in Cefalonia Island

• Robola Wine Factory: Robola Wine Factory tour

by peterbellingham Written May 18, 2008

This is where the locals bring their grapes. They are weighed and then bought by Robola. The guide will show you round whenever you drop in and show you how the wine is made. At the end is a very nice tasting session.

What to pay: Your guide will tell you that you're getting the wine at 'special factory prices.' This is true; the only problem being that it is slightly MORE than you would pay in the shops, even the mini-markets sold it cheaper. When this was discovered a few days later, it took the shine off our interesting tour as we felt we had been mislead.

• Wine Tasting

• chazgilbert's Profile Photo

Vagelati: Kefalonia's finest supermarket

by chazgilbert Written Aug 12, 2007

Taa-daa!

Vagelati (shortened to Vag - I have a crude sense of humour) supermarket is awesome. Located in the centre of the Lassi strip, it is one of the resorts landmarks.

The supermarket is run by a big Greek family - I assume the Vagelatis. They're incredibly friendly and sell their products at reduced rates. It's by far the cheapest supermarket I went to on the island.

However, this wasn't the main reason we visited Vag. The Vagelatis use of English is legendary - it's random catchphrases galore.

I wet myself many times collecting my change. Happy times!

What to buy: Essentials, plus a few gifts.

What to pay: Not much - by far the cheapest supermarket in Lassi.

• Study Abroad

• zizkov's Profile Photo

Greek Bakery

by zizkov Written Jul 29, 2005

My mate Andrew with the cakes

You must visit a Greek bakery, especially if you have a sweet tooth. Pictured is the largest on I saw on Kefalonia, in Argostoli (it has eight branches around the island). It has a large range of breads, biscuits, pastries, small cakes, and, my particular interest, the syrupy baklavas.

Now, these are fantastic cakes. Very dense, soaked in syrup (or honey?), surrounded by spun sugar, and filled with eg chopped nuts or figs. The cost here was E1.50 per piece - I could only eat half a piece at a time. As you can see there are tables outside if you can't wait to get stuck in.

I also bought some of the hard Greek bread. There are large open baskets of it in the centre of the shop, and you select what you want. This was not so successful, as they were very thick pieces which I found too hard to eat. I'm sure there must be a trick to it.

One thing to watch is, the syrup will run out of the cakes and ooze out of the box; very quickly when it is so warm. The cakes are still fine, but the box is very sticky. In fact, I decided to take some home, and decided they would be best carried in my case. Despite being wrapped in three plastic bags, some syrup still got out into my case! The cakes were still delish at home, though.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Any in Fiskardo: Firewater

by kentishgirl Updated Oct 28, 2004

Any of the shops in Fiskardo

What to buy: Kefalonia is well known for its wine, its really strong but is the best of the Greek Wine, they sell loads of it in all the shops that we went into.....I suppose it could also be classed as a tourist trap!! But its well worth trying!

What to pay: Various

• Gerasimos's Profile Photo

Wine, Honey,Traditional Sweets.

by Gerasimos Written Nov 3, 2002

What to buy: Special local Wine called ROBOLA.
    Special local Thyme Honey.
    Traditional Sweets such as: Mandoles, Cruller, Barbules, Nougat.

What to pay: For a bottle of a good ROBOLA wine around 15 to 20 Euro. For 1lt. of thyme HONEY around 35 to 45 Euro. For a package of traditional sweets 1/2kg about of 50 Euro.

Instant Answers: Cefalonia Island

Comments

Cefalonia Island Shopping

Reviews and photos of Cefalonia Island shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cefalonia Island sightseeing.

View all Cefalonia Island hotels