Related Prefecture of Cefalonia Favorites Tips

Sailing out of Sami
    by JLBG
    Leaving Sami
    by JLBG
    A picture tells a thousand words
    by chazgilbert

Most Viewed Favorites in Prefecture of Cefalonia

• Jannice48's Profile Photo

A real Paradise Island

by Jannice48 Written Oct 11, 2008

Favorite thing: I can't actually say what my favourite thing about Kefalonia is except to say that as soon as I step off the plane I feel like I have just arrived home. There is just something magical about the Island that I can't explain that keeps drawing me back. I still like to try different Greek Islands but not one of them as yet has taken the the place of my number one favourite holiday destination and I know I will always return time and time again for my holiday. The one place which I have always taken family to when they come to Kefalonia for the first time is to Melissani Lake and Drogarati Cave, but there is still plenty more to see, lovely beaches, the bluest seas I have ever seen, villages, old churches etc, so make sure you hire a car and tour around the Island as it would be a shame to miss anything. There is still lots of places I have yet to see and I have been to the Island three times now. If you can't drive try and go on the Island Tour which is what we did the first time we went.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Kefalonia is how friendly the people are and how they made you feel very welcome. I miss looking out at the clear blue sea every day.

• Beaches

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

by Snipernurse Updated Jun 28, 2008

Favorite thing: If you are going to spend any length of time in Cephalonia it is imperative you read Louis De Bernieres novel Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Don't take the shortcut and watch the movie, it does no justice to this story. The novel is a fantastic story of history, love and culture which will truly enrich your experience

• Heatwave! sun strokes

by lostinwonder Written Jun 30, 2007

Favorite thing: It was 43 degrees celsius one day when we were in Fiscardo. Take lots of sun screen and always have cold water with you. Very important to keep your fluid intake up etc etc....
    Things to pack if going out - sun glasses, sun hat, sun screen, after sun, little fan, cold water

• kevin36's Profile Photo

Blue Skies and Beaches

by kevin36 Updated Feb 23, 2007

Favorite thing: The Ikaros Boat trip was the most spectacular trip we went on,with views of the other Islands,Fantastic.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory will be the friendliness of the people and how welcome they made us.
    The colors of the sea,being so blue.
    One of those people that deserves a special mention is Tina, from Capt Corellis Taverna
    (Thank you for making us so welcome) and the many others too many to mention,Thank you all.

%crTina%c* Ikaros boat trip Ikaros boat trip Ikaros boat trip Ikaros boat trip

• susiederkins's Profile Photo

Rent a car!

by susiederkins Written May 19, 2005

Favorite thing: This is a beautiful island with lots to see and do. However, I highly recommend you rent a car to get around. Many of the interesting things to see lie scattered around the island, and it's just easiest to drive there yourself. I think they have tour buses and things, but if you do that you'll miss the opportunity to stop in the tiny villages you pass by, and see how Kefalonians really live. It's also the most convenient way to see places like Myrtos Beach and Assos.

Fondest memory: On the map we had, it showed paved and well-travelled roads in red, and unpaved, possibly more difficult roads in orange. We took one of the orange roads, just to see what it was like (we could always turn back, right?), and came across the tiniest, most out of the way village I've ever seen. I think it had about 3 houses and a tiny little shop that looked like someone's house. It had shelves all over the walls, with only a few lonely unmarked bottles on them. The old man with one good eye sitting in the corner startled us when we walked in because we didn't realize he was there. Since all we wanted was a bottle of water, we went to the cooler. Inside was some fresh meat covered in clingfilm, a few jars of unnamed substances, and 3 bottles of water. We took two, somehow figured out how much they were from the man's gesturings, and went on our way. And before you go thinking we really had just wandered into someone's house, I should defend myself - I'm reasonably certain it was a shop.

Also on this road were olive groves and a man herding his goats. Other than that, I don't think we came across a single other car. It was beautiful, and I'm glad we took the chance.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Argostoli

by Jmill42 Written Mar 15, 2004

Favorite thing: Argostoli, the capital of Kephalonia, is by far the more lively of the two major cities of the island. It has a relatively vibrant nightlife, centered along its main square and road. But, one of the main reasons I prefer Sami, is that there is no beach within walking distance of the city, and that the "lively" or "vibrant" can quickly turn into "over-crowded". The main square is really nice, and it has ample benches to sit on and enjoy the weather, as I did. A good journal entry spot. All around the square lie restaurants of every kind and shopping is very good.

Borrowed Pic of Argostoli's Square

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Sami

by Jmill42 Written Mar 15, 2004

Favorite thing: In my opinion, Sami is the better of the two major cities of Kephalonia. It is without a doubt the more quiet, and it is closer to the caves, Andisami beach, and the other Captain Correli sites. Myrtos beach, the number one attraction of the island, is about equidistant from either city, so I with the previous things I named, I give Sami the lead. However, this is reasoning that follows the thought process of you wanting a relaxing and quiet time. Argostoli has much more energy and provides a nightlife, which is absolutely non-existent in Sami. It just depends on what oyu are here for.

Building That Was Transformed in the Movie in Sami

• onecut's Profile Photo

Fantastic Flora

by onecut Written Dec 27, 2003

Favorite thing: Everywhere on the Island you come across beautiful flowers that fill the air with there wonderful scent.

Bourganvillia

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Great food

by ettenaj Written Nov 8, 2003

Favorite thing: Trying out local dishes is a favorite passtime of mine whilst on holiday, the diet always goes out of the window, but who can blame me with dishes like these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fondest memory: Absolutly fantastic

Moussaka

Prefecture of Cefalonia Hotels

• Peratzada Hotel

Odysseas Androutsoy 821

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Sami Beach Hotel

Located just next to the sea, 2.5km away from Sami and 27km from the airport. Each room has...

• Aeolos Beach Hotel

Karya Hotels
Ithaki Island Hotels
33 Reviews - 53 Photos

Instant Answers: Prefecture of Cefalonia

Comments

Prefecture of Cefalonia Favorites

Reviews and photos of Prefecture of Cefalonia favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Prefecture of Cefalonia sightseeing.
Map of Prefecture of Cefalonia