Loutron Things to Do
Loutro, what to do in Loutro
If at some point you do get bored of sunning yourself, drinking cold beers and looking lazily at the sea, Loutro offers a wide range of fun choices providing a little exercise:
• A short walk to the Turkish fortress.
• A stroll to the ruins of the Venetian castle.
• Hire a canoe and paddle around Loutro bay.
• Take the morning boat to the nearby beaches of Marmara and Glyka Nera. Glyka Nera is one of the most beautiful beaches in Crete and is usually popular with nudists.
• Walk along the path to Glyka Nera. It’s an easy route and takes about an hour.
• Walk to Marmara, about one and a half hours away.
• Walk up to Anopoli along the path starting on the east side of Loutro. You climb up to about 700 metres above sea level, with the stunning view unfolding before you all the way.
• Take the ferry to Agia Roumeli and walk up the Samaria Gorge. This is known as the “lazy way”, as it’s only 3.5 km from Agia Roumeli to the “Sideroportes” (Iron Gates), the narrowest point of the gorge.
• If you love adventure and extreme sports, you can enjoy a plunge into nothingness by bungee jumping from the high bridge over the Aradena Gorge.
• If you prefer a bit of a trek, walk along the Aradena Gorge. The entrance is just past Anopoli and the exit is at Marmara beach, from where you can return to Loutro along the coast path.Related to:
- Family Travel
- Hiking and Walking
There are no streets leading to Loutro.
You have to go to Chora Sfakia or Paleochora first and take the ferry to Loutro.Related to:
Loutron Off The Beaten Path
Walking the ARADHENA GORGE
If you like walking, you should check out the Aradhena gorge.
It will be real hot and you need good walking shoes, but it's worth every drop of sweat.
I recommend taking the boat from Loutro to Marmara beach at 11 a.m. and start your walk from here. Behind Marmara beach the gorge ends and your walk begins. From here it takes about 2,5 hours to reach the old ruins of Aradhena. From Aradhena you can take the street to Anopolis, where you'll find a zigzag path down to Loutro.
Bring enough water! (walking time ca. 5 hours)Related to: