Archeological Museum of Chios
The museum of Chios was constructed between 1966 and 1971 in an area of 2500 sqm. The building is comprised of exhibition rooms covering an area of 1200 sqm, storerooms, laboratories and offices.
The museum was closed down on 18-5-1987 and since then it does not function properly because its stability has been threatened by a sinking of the ground. Renovation was completed in 1998 and the museum was again opened to the public in November 1999.
The museum contains collections of prehistoric and archaic findings from excavations of the British School at Emborios, Neolithic findings of the British excavations at Aghio Ghala, Archaic and Classical findings from the British excavations at Fana and various findings from the salvage excavations.
Among the inscriptions contained in it one can admire the "Order to the Chians" by Alexander the Great in 332 BC by which he declares the re-establishing of Democracy. Marble parts from the temple of Apollo at Fana, geometric amphorae dating back to the 8th century BC used for wine transporting and two archaic female statues of excellent quality are also displayed.
- Museum Visits
Korais Library - The Argenti Collection and Museum
The "Adamantios Korais Library" of Chios is the third largest library in Greece with a significant collection exceeding 150,000 volumes. It was established in 1792, as a department of the Great Chian School. Adamandios Korais (1748-1833), a scholar of Enlightenment and medical doctor, who gained the title of "Teacher of the Greek Nation", donated the first books and many of his friends, mostly Greek living abroad, followed.
Before the Massacre of Chios in 1822 it was the most important library of the whole region. After the major earthquake in 1881 it was moved into the present neo-classical building where it has remained ever since. Initially the building had only one floor; the second one was added after 1948 by the major donator Philippos Argentis. Important upgrades and additions to the building took place in the period 1975-78, again with initiatives by the Argentis family.
Besides its founder, many other Chians donated their personal book collections to the Library. It contains valuable manuscripts describing the events of the local history, the collection of rare books of Adamantios Korais, as well as the unique collection of documents related to Chios, owned once by Philippos Argentis.
The Argentis Collection and Museum
The "Museum of Popular Art" and the "Art Gallery" that share the same building with the "Korais Library" were initially constituted of the private collections of Philippos Argentis.
In 1932 he founded the Argentis association in order to save the popular and historical treasures of Chios. In 1937 an Ethnological Museum was set up in the building of the Highschool of Chios and its collection was soon enriched with new donations. Later on, Philippos Argentis decided to extend the Library building and thus a second floor was added so that the Folklore Collection and the Historic and Topographic Pictures of Chios would be all at the same place.
- Museum Visits
- Arts and Culture
Chios city Castle II
The entrance to the Castle is the southern gate (Porta Maggiore), reconstructed by the Venetians in 1694, over the moat that was around the castle. The entrance leads through an arcade to the interesting building of the Giustiniani (15th century), which has recently been renovated and is now an exhibition of ancient - Christian mosaics, of Byzantine and post-Byzantine murals, icons and woodwork. In the same area one can see the building called “Dark Dungeon”, i.e. the prison where the 70 elders of Chios were locked by the Turks, before they were hanged in 1822, as well as the tomb of the Turk admiral Kara Alis. Also, along the central road of the Castle we can visit the church of Saint George and - to the north - the Turkish Baths. Worth seeing are also the «Kria Vrissi» (=Cool-water spring), a semi sub-terranean water cistern built under the Genoese, and the massive tower known as «Koulas» or the «Turkish Tower».
Nowadays, the castle is a habitation area.
- Castles and Palaces
Chios city Castle
Entering the harbour by sea, to the north of the centre of the city, the Castle of Chios can be seen, built in the Byzantine times and repaired during the Genova and Turkish occupation. It was built in the 9th century, then destroyed during the wars, and, finally the Genoese occupants rebuilt it, quite larger, during the 15th century. It enclosed the entire town of Chios, but soon thereafter, however, the town expanded beyond the Castle Walls. The Castle was surrounded by a wide moat that has now been filled in. The Genoese emblem (three towers and an eagle) still exists in the towers and battlements, which are in quite good condition. The Castle suffered severe disasters in the bombardment of 1828 and the earthquake of 1881 and was seriously damaged at the beginning of the 20th century, when the entire southern part of the Castle was demolished in order to construct the port.
- Castles and Palaces
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Huge discounts - Book online!
- Hotelsclick.com The Best Hotel Rates on the Internet Great rates always include taxes. Secure booking.