Chios Island Restaurants

The taver at Avgonima
    by greekcypriot
    Ioakim the owner of the tarvern
    Salad and grilled cheese

Most Recent Restaurants in Chios Island

"O ANAVATOS": Don't miss the Taverna

by greekcypriot Updated Jun 5, 2010

The taver at Avgonima

Ioakim is the man who owes this tarvern at Anavatos village.
    Good service, and you can taste some local cusine here too.

Favorite Dish: We had some potato croquette which were excellent.
    Also vegetable fried balls, and a fresh huge Greek salad with grilled local cheese.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

"To MESTOUSIKO": Eat your Gyro and snacks here!

by greekcypriot Written May 23, 2010

The shop's name

We came here for a cup of coffee and a home made dessert.
    The owners, Georgis and Marina are very friendly, and while there I saw other people coming here to drink their coffee or suma -the local spirit, to chat with friends.

Home delivery is offered too.

Favorite Dish: The snack bar and barbacue offers -gyro.
    The desserts are home-made, and the place is very clean and tidy.
    The shop offers (mezze with suma or ouzo). Try suma here.
    It's the spirit made of figs, and it is home-made from the parents of Georgis.

Pirgos Restaurant-Cafe at Avgonima: Eat Traditional Cuisine

by greekcypriot Written May 21, 2010

Pirgos Restaurant in Avgonima

If you find yourselves at Avgonima try the specialities of Pyrgos Retaurant on the ground floor.
    On the upper floor there are some very nice Traditional rooms for rent.
    The view is great and they are really cheap especially if you book for a week.

Favorite Dish: Everything is home-made, and I don't have a favourite, but I enjoyed the company of locals here who gather and chat. I learnt much about the village and the people were very kind.
    Also they sell honey and home made delicacies.

"Lemonia's Kafenio-Restaurant: The Friendliest Spot in Vessa

by greekcypriot Updated May 20, 2010

Lemonia's cafe-restaurant

Upon reaching the village of Vessa it was already time for lunch.
    The cafe and restaurant is in the central square of the village. A very nice spot with huge trees of sycamore and eucalyptus trees.

It is a medieval structure and in the past it used to be the School of the village but now the Municipality which is prottecting all these buildings is hiring it to Lemonia, -the lady who runs this small business.
    It attracts a number of younger people who come here because of the free internet access that the restaurant offers. For people like me - always carrying a laptop, it was an oasis as I could check my e mails and do some work.

Lemonia is a very polite woman, open hearted, always smiling who did her best to please us. We asked for traditional food and she was happy to prepare it for us in short time.

Favorite Dish: We were served the traditional cheese of the area along with red slightly sweet wine which tasted great. We loved it and we were asking it all the time.
    We had fresh salads, boiled beans (fresh koukia)and herb balls. Everything was cheap and tasty.

• WorldPassenger's Profile Photo

Anyplace in Greece: Eat some delightful Greek Souvlaki sandwiches!

by WorldPassenger Written Jul 14, 2008

A Souvlaki Sandwich

Souvlaki is one of the most powerful fast foods on the planet! I love it. It is to the Greeks what hamburgers are to Americans.

I especially liked the Souvlaki that I found in Chios and Athens. Souvlaki is not just food, it is a cult and I do not think that any other fast food can kick Souvlaki out of the Top 1 in taste charts of the Greeks or people that have visited Greece like me.

The Souvlaki that I like has its meat skewered and cooked and then it is rolled into soft pita bread along with tomato, onion and tzatziki sauce – it is just delicious! Some places add French fries into the mix – but I personally don’t like that.

A Souvlaki comes wrapped in wax paper, which keeps it all together, and then you eat it like you might eat a banana by slowly peeling the wax paper down as you consume the Souvlaki. It can be messy but who cares?

The great thing about Souvlakis is that they are cheap and if you and/or your kids are hungry you can go to a Souvlaki shop for lunch or dinner at a very inexpensive price. You might even find a street-side hibachi cooking skewered meat and providing the passing foot traffic with a delicious Souvlaki sandwich much like you might buy a hot dog from a street vendor in Chicago or New York.

Be informed that a Souvlaki can have two prices. One price would be for an order to take away. A different higher priced Souvlaki would be if you order and then sit and eat the Souvlaki at that café or restaurant. The difference in price is the cost of the service if you stay and eat on premise.

In Chios I ate two Souvlaki’s at a little outdoor café near to the central park a few blocks from the port. Delightful!

And I suspect that you too will order and eat several Souvlaki as they are just so good!

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Chios Island

Comments

Chios Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chios Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chios Island sightseeing.