visit PERAMA CAVE (located in the homonymous village, 4 km north of the city of Ioannina)
The Cave was incidentaly discovered during the Greek-Italian war of 1940 by a resident of the village who was looking for a shelter to avoid bombardments. In 1951 the speleologists Ioannis and Anna Petrocheilos proceeded to the exploration of the cave and discovered teeth and bones of ancient cave bears.
The cave of Perama is one of the most significant horizontal caves of the Balkans with a total corridor length of more than 1 km. It is composed of a large number of chambers and mazy corridors with impressive stalactites and stalagmites.