Oros Pilion Off The Beaten Path

Agios Apostolos o Neos/the Lovely Locals

by greekcypriot Updated Aug 30, 2013

The tower bell and clock of the church

The Lovely Locals of Agios Lavrentios, Pelion

We have heard much about the miracles of the Saint of the Village whose name is (Agios Apostolos o Neos). Locals speak with high respect for their Saint and speak of his miracles. We were urged to get to the church in the afternoon and light a candle. So, we did.

We find the priest here and when I tell him that I am on a 16 day trip visiting different villages of Pelion he unlocks his desk and gets me an old book that dates back to 2002. He tells me that I should have it and I am so thankful. I never expected it to be that interesting but it is indeed.

I am so grateful from this gesture and honestly I don’t know what to say. I am deeply touched because it is a very interesting book that includes old photos and it tells much about the history of the village, it gives names of the students of the village of a century ago and I find even the occupation of these students’ fathers.
    There are names, statistics, activities, photos taken so many years back -such precious little treasure which I shall cherish.

I read of customs and traditions, the book includes interviews from old people who were born back in the 1900’s referring to village life, their leisure time and so many other interesting facts that were taking place those years.

On this entry I want to thank the priest of the village for the book as well as the people of Agios Lavrentios who had been so warm and hospitable and made us feel so welcome.

I was offered treats like a dessert or a refreshing homemade drink, even an ice cream from locals who saw me walking in their neighbourhood and welcomed me inside for a chat.

I will surely be back, I loved the village and the people I came across.

Thank you everyone for your warm hospitality.

For Greek friends who want to read the story of the Saint I have the link below.

• Religious Travel

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Path of Centaurs -Portaria

by greekcypriot Written Aug 14, 2013

The leading sign with directions

The “Path of Centaurs” in Portaria is an easy path to cross and it is amazingly beautiful.
    You can start from the highest point and descend the path to the other side.

The cobblestone arch is the sign that you have reached. The road you come across after you pass under the arch is the one that goes as far as the beautiful village of Makrinitsa.
    The Path is highly recommended.

• Photography

Beautiful crystals!

Beautiful crystals!

I took a photo of this rock because I was impressed by the shape and size of the crystals have limited knowledge in mineralogy and I hope that some one will give me the name of this type of rock. I would name it “quartzite” but I would not bet my head on that!

Squill

Squill

Squill or Sea onion (Urginea maritima) is a beautiful plant of the Lilly family that grows close to the sea. It has a huge onion that can weight several kilos. Caution, this onion is very toxic. It can be dried and ground into a coarse powder used to kill rats and mice.

Grecian fox glove

Grecian fox glove

Grecian fox glove (Digitalis lanata), growing in eastern Europe and fox glove (Digitalis purpurea), growing mostly in western Europe and especially in Scotland, give digoxin, metildigoxin and digitoxin, major cardiotonics, widely used in therapeutics. Given its name in English, that was not a surprise to find it wild in Greece but most of the drugs used medically is extracted from Digitalis lanata grown in Hungary and Rumania.

Gardens

by nickandchris Updated Feb 19, 2006

Amazing gardens. Is this really Greece?

Whilst walking around various villages you cannot help but notice the wonderful gardens. Beautiful flower gardens full of colourful blooms and luxuriant lawns . It seems to be big business now and on the outskirts of Volos is a massive garden centre with the biggest array of plant pots I have ever seen.
    In Horton itself, have a walk along the lanes and alleys and you will be rewarded with the most spectacular gardens. Some of the houses even have their own little bridges crossing the stream.

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

Artist at Work

by nickandchris Written Jun 8, 2005

Eccentricity........

As you enter Milina from Horton, you will pass on your right a most magnificently painted property, extending over more than one building. From what we could read, it was about Greece and the Olympics. I think it was to remind people the important part Greece played in 2004.
    It is really quite eye-catching and must have taken some time to complete.

• Architecture

Kotes

by nickandchris Written Jun 6, 2005

Kotes from above

A marvellous, very small and untouristy fishing village with three tavernas that we could see. We watched a Greek fishing here from the harbour with about ten rods on rests. He sat at the taverna and waited for the bells to ring on the rods when he had a bite. We never saw him catch a thing.
    A wonderfully tranquil place to while away time.
    Kotes is enroute to Trikeri, a turn to the right about 5 km before.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

Alogoporos

by nickandchris Written Jun 6, 2005

Beach at Alopogoros

At the southern tip of the peninsula, head north again just before Trikeri and you reach Alogoporos. This is a tiny port for the island of Paleo Trikeri. There is a large car park and a small pebble beach and nothing much else.
    I believe you are supposed to telephone the ferryman from the taverna, if tou want to visit the island. We didn't, but the taverna appeared to be closed anyway.
    The little beach was beautifully peaceful .

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo

Swimming at ...

by Yiannis2000 Written Feb 25, 2003

It's winter now, we should wait til May...

...Damouhari!
    Crystal clear water, a small village without streets for cars, still busy in summer season

Instant Answers: Oros Pilion

Comments

Oros Pilion Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Oros Pilion off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oros Pilion sightseeing.