Oros Pilion Restaurants

Saganaki cheese with sesame
    The interior -appropriate for winter

Most Recent Restaurants in Oros Pilion

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

MILAGROSA BBQ Tavern: It surprised us Happily, Good Value!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 30, 2013

Cheers everyone from Pelion!

We spent 6 nights in Tsagkarada on this last excursion to Pelion. I came across this specific restaurant accidentally when the hotel owner sent us to another one and by mistake we came here first only to learn that the restaurant we were looking for was several metres away.

Most of the times we travelers get advice from the different receptionists who always have a name to recommend. However, the negative with this is that they recommend the same restaurants again and again not giving an opportunity to other businesses show the quality of service and food they have. The result is disappointing because on the list of preference are always the same restaurants for years! The 6 nights I spent here gave me the opportunity to see much of this happening and you see lines of tourists heading for this or that restaurant as if they follow orders, or better as if they are sheep going to slaughter! It looks funny at first but in reality it is not and to my regret this is what is happening.

Now regarding the Milagrossa restaurant I have only positive comments to write and after dining here and tasting the food I consider it a worth to visit restaurant. I am glad I came here even accidentally the first time. I was surely not disappointed!

LOCATION: Starting from the location I believe it is great. The restaurant might not be right on the square of Agioi Taxiarche but it overlooks one side of it, however it is at a higher level so the view is just as great. It is on the main road of Pelion, -a pink building. The summer terrace –sitting under vine arbors with branches of vine hanging on all sides is unique. The stone-paved terrace is in lush green, nice seating, -an authentic Traditional Greek tavern.
    The winter seating is just as lovely. Wooden floor and ceiling, unique furnishings ideal to decorate the traditional interior of the Greek tavern.

SERVICE: Usually when we customers ask to comment on the service we describe it as impeccable when it is really good, or we write that we had everything with no delay etc. These are all the mechanics of service. The other side of it that counts for me a lot is the hospitality factor, and I think lots of times when people mention service they’re talking about hospitality as well. I have been to restaurants where the service has been excellent and the hospitality is terrible, but here the Millagorsa has it all. Impeccable service with capital letters, friendly and warm people and the hospitality factor at its best.

THE MENU: When finally you get here you realize that it is not only the location and the people perfect but the food as well. Don’t expect gourmet dishes here, but expect exquisite tastes instead.

GRILLED: The restaurant operates as a Grill house (meat is local) beside the Casserole dishes and starters. Customers can come here for a kebab let’s say, or order grilled steaks, chicken, Lamb and Pork chops. There is also the Village Sausage worth to give it a try.

APPETIZERS: There is a long list of Appetizers and Salads. We tried the signature salad of the restaurant ‘the Milagrosa’. It is a sour/sweet salad, flavoursome to perfection. The basis is a ‘thousand island dressing’ mixed with 8 different substances….resulting to a cool refreshing unbeattable taste.
    Besides the usual appetizers like tzatziki and grilled cheese (saganaki) we find in other restaurants, customers can have really local traditional dishes like ‘gardoumpa, mpompari, spetsofai, mbougiourti or the beetroot salad. There are one or two more but I miss the names right now.

**TIP: I would suggest that you ask for a ‘pikilia’ –small portions in a platter to taste first and when you are back another day or the next you can ask for a whole portion of what you liked.

CASSEROLE FOOD: There are several casserole dishes (day’s dishes) like the Rooster in wine, or the Beef with chestnuts, Chicken with mushrooms and pineapple or Soutzoukakia Politika and a few more.
    Tip: If you are to stay in Tsagkarada for days, you can tell the owners what you really want to have from the previous day so the Chef will have it ready for you. (It is homemade food)

BEVERAGE: The patio terrace is open and functions as a bar or a coffee shop as well. Besides tsipouro/ouzo, there is the local wine which is really good, draft beer and several alcoholic spirits like whisky, gin tonic and vodka.

BREAKFAST: The restaurant can serve Breakfast as well, and why not try the restaurant’s crepes or donuts! It opens from 9:00 till late at night.

IN ALL: Why come here? Well, firstly because the Cuisine is great, the people behind it are excellent hosts, the tastes exquisite, Location fantastic, Quality top with fresh ingredients, and the most significant is that it is a good option for Value of Money.

I highly recommend Milagrosa and I look forward to return. This time to try something else.
    Keep the good quality and high standards up guys till the next time we meet.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

' O LOTOS ' Taverna -Agios Lavrentios: Greek Traditional Cuisine,Good Service!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 28, 2013

Lotos courtyard

We had lunch at this restaurant which is in the village of Agios Lavrentios and as Mrs. Froso the owner was telling us it is one of the oldest and first taverns in the village.

She spoke of the days when she was young where at the place of today’s beautiful stone built tavern there was a coffee shop. This coffee shop had become the meeting spot for villagers going to work those days.

They would come to the coffee shop and wait for their bus to drive them to work in Volos or the round area.
    She remembers herself preparing more than a hundred cups of Greek coffee and little by little locals asked for a snack. She was very young that time and there was no other coffee shop in the village. These snacks could be eggs, some cheese and olives -simple things. Little by little the demand increased and she was well known to the whole village. Those years Agios Lavrentios was a Major village. (With her stories she travelled me).

Nowadays, the newly built tavern is all made of stone like the rest of the buildings in the village and it keeps the traditional look. The interior is nicely decorated and with the wood stove on during the cold winter months it will surely have an idyllic ambience. Now in the summer the entire grounds of the tavern are under the shade of huge age-long plane trees and it is cool and nice sitting out here and enjoy your lunch or dinner. It serves also as a coffee shop for friends.

The Cuisine is the Greek traditional and the list includes several interesting dishes.
    I can tell that prices are Average.

Some of the popular dishes of the tavern are the (agriogourono) wild pig cooked in the oven with prunes.-€9.00. Another dish is the Veal fillet with chestnuts.-€8.30.
    The Mushroom fricassee, the Aubergine and (agria xorta) wild greens with eggs all three dishes costs €6.00 each. The (Mbekri Meze) a local dish which is meat cooked in tomato sauce, red wine mixed with different spice, is the ideal dish for people who love good food. You can accompany it with beer, wine or tsipouro and it costs €8.00.
    **The onwer was telling me that she uses products from the round area and their garden and also Virgin olive oil.

The other popular dish is the goat dish (gida psiti sti ladokola) oven cooked. This particular dish we tried it ourselves and it is really good and the meat was tenderly exquisite. It costs €8.50.

Of course there are the usual appetizers you come across in other taverns, and several Casserole dishes, also Mousaka, Pastitsio and Stuffed Tomato/Peppers. A good idea is to ask Mrs. Froso to tell you the Day’s menu and let her recommend the best for you.
    We also tried “saganaki” which is pan fried cheese covered in sesame. We had never had it with sesame and it was great.

Salad costs €3.00 and half litre of local wine costs €2.50. Beers cost €2.50 as well.

We enjoyed our light menu and I can recommend this restaurant. The owners are nice people. Try Apostoli’s, ice cream. He makes it himself and it is mouthwatering. You can order it after your meal. I am sure you will love it.

An Idyllic summer Spot -"a Must stop": The Olive Bay Bar Cafe

by greekcypriot Updated Aug 26, 2013

Moments of tranquillity at the Olive Bay

On our way to Milina we stopped to the beautiful Olive Bay.

It is in a superb location right on a beautiful bay with Olive trees and beautiful waters. Cars were parked both along the side of the road but there were many in the parking lot as well. The road makes a curve so drivers should reduce speed out there.

The grounds are beautiful and very inviting and they remind of Greek islands. The bar cascades through the olive trees right down to the beach, which is, in reality, a rather cosy cove. It is great to sit at the bar after a dip and take your time over a frappe whilst listening to the mellow sounds of smooth jazz. The music is piped amongst the trees and over the cove.

The beach by the coast is pebbled but a few metres further in, it is sandy. The waters are shallow so it is ideal for children as well. Depending on the sun and the weather conditions, the waters have a green silvery colour even though they are clear and crystal -this is the Magic of this cove and others that you will come across in the whole of this area.

I cannot say that it is the cheapest bar café in the area but you cannot easily find such a beautiful environment, so I guess it is worth to pay a bit more and come out here to spend the whole day, under the sounds of Jazz music and the lapping of the water on the coast if you can afford it.

An umbrella will cost you €5 and a deck chair €7.
    The list has different coffees which rank from €4 - €6.00 with that of Fredochino at €5.00 and Frape Bailey’s at €6.00. Refreshments, different cold drinks or juice rank from €4.00 - €5.00.
    Mind you, the bar serves amazing cocktails as well. You can have a sandwich if you wish (€4.00 - €5.00). The pizza costs €15.00, the Fried Cheese bread is at €7.00 and the Salmon Carpatzio which is mouthwatering is at €8.00. Tsipouro with appetizer is at €5.00.

We had two nice appetizers to accompany our tsipouro. They were nicely presented and both were delicious.

The list of beverage is interesting as well and customers can have wine, beer, even champagnes.

Fruit salad is another popular dish here. These start from €5.00 pp and there is the one called Fun, in Greek you can ask it as Methismeno. This specific Fruit Salad costs €25.00 but I guess it is for 2 probably 3 persons!

In all I highly recommend this café bar, not only because of its superb location, but for the impeccable service and nice cuisine. The owner is a chef himself, and during the winter months when the Olive Bay closes you can find him at the village of Portaria at the restaurant Gefsokrator. I cannot comment on this restaurant but I will consider it in, on my coming trip to the area.

• Beer Tasting
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Good Value for Money -HIGHLY Recommended !

by greekcypriot Written Aug 26, 2013

O PETROS : Is the most popular restaurant in Zagora, and it is under the supervision of Petro’s wife. (I urge you to visit the other restaurant at Horefto as well).

It is located by the main central square opposite St. George’s Church in Zagora. It is surrounded by cobblestoned alleys straight up from the square heading much upper to the different neighborhoods. Petro’s restaurant cannot be missed. It is decorated on both sides with flower pots and huge trees and lush greenery, but also vine arbours. The spot where the restaurant is located is so beautiful that when you come out here for a stroll the first time, it is impossible not to stop and take pictures.

When finally you come here for lunch or dinner, you will find that it is not only the location perfect but the food as well.

We came late that same evening for dinner. We met Fani, Petro’s wife. Here in this restaurant she is the Master Chef of her kitchen. The quality of food is superb and Fani was telling me that significant part plays the fresh organic products she uses in her kitchen but also the Virgin Olive Oil which is the only oil the two restaurant use. She is a passionate cook and I loved her cuisine. Everything we had was beyond our expectations delicious probably because she makes all these with love and passion.

The specialty and one of the popular dishes that customers ask for, is the Oven cooked aubergine. Order it as “Melintzana tis Fanis”. It is rich in flavor, the portion is big and heavenly.

The stuffed with cheese zucchini flowers cost €3.00 and the zucchini balls cost €3.50 respectively. Each portion includes 4 pieces.
    Saganaki –grilled cheese is at €4.00 and staffed vine leaves will cost you €6.00. Of course the list is long and tempting. We had a portion of the same dish in another restaurant in the village but these were beyond every compare. They are sprinkled with fresh dill and lemon and they are yummy.

The table charge, the (kouver) is 0.80 –Fani brings a platter of grilled homemade bread sprinkled with virgin olive oil and oregano.

Another delicious dish was “Tragopoulo”. It is the meat of a big goat and it is really worth a try. It costs €8.00.

Customers who wish to ask for wine will pay €6.00 kilo (local and comes in a carafe). Beer costs €3.00.

Depending on the season the treat of the restaurant varies. It can be fruit, “halvas” a “fried apple” or different local delicacies that Fani herself makes exclusively for her customers.
    In all, we did not regret coming here. If we had more days in Zagora we would come to the restaurant again and again. The service is impeccable, the food superb.

I highly recommend both restaurants for all the above reasons. So if you are after the authentic Greek cuisine don’t hesitate. You will be happily surprised in both, and at Horefto you will be delighted with the fresh Seafood as well. You have to meet Petros. His personality represents the whole hearty hospitality of Greeks! He is authentic and professional in what he is doing.

Thank you guys for the exceptional meals. Continue to be authentic and keep the high standards. You are a Steady Value.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

PETROS o SOGAMBROS: Simply the BEST!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 26, 2013

Lunch at Petro's restaurant with the owner

My first choice of restaurant in Zagora is PETROS and when you go to the coastal village of Horefto don’t miss lunch or dinner at “PETROS o SOGAMBROS” which belongs to the same Petro’s business. You should try both before going anywhere else!

We drove to Horefto for swimming and we came to the restaurant a bit early. The beach below is sandy all right, but it is quite deep right from the first steps so it is not suitable for little children if not supervised. There is a shower on the right hand side of the restaurant so customers can rinse off and cool up with fresh water before the meal. A nice gesture indeed because in this way you can enjoy your meal better.

We did not have the slightest idea that this restaurant belongs to Petros, whose restaurant I came across while taking photos the previous day. It has another name and if you are Greek from the name he has given, you instantly understand that Petros has a sense of humor.

PETROS o SOGAMBROS: I had no idea about the popularity of this restaurant. Groups of friends and families began to fill up the tables and I noticed the way Petros treated his customers. Besides Seafood, the restaurant serves Grilled, Oven and Caseserole dishes. The Menu includes original traditional Greek cuisine. The owner prides for the fresh ingredients and virgin olive oil used in the cuisine.

When we talk about tsipouro we Greeks always like to accompany it with meze. So we had meze at first, but there were also one or two dishes coming from Petro who was asking me to grade them. Each bite was irresistible, and whatever we had was cooked to perfection.

Much later when all the tables were reserved and orders were given one after the other, none of the customers were kept waiting because the restaurant engages a great number of waiters. I noticed how sociable Petro is, and his phone kept ringing all the time but like a professional he could control and supervise everything. A number of these waiters are working here for more than 10 years. One of them whose name I miss was telling us that if he wasn’t absolutely sure of the high quality of the food served he would have left the business. “Customers keep coming back for years and this is a proof of their satisfaction”, the waiter said.

We had several appetizers and sea food at first but we tried casserole food as well. Each dish was competing the other. The food is not expensive at all, and this is the reason of the great popularity –a combination of good food, reasonable price, impeccable service, an amazing location and warm and friendly ambience.

We left impressed and we thought to give the other restaurant a try that same evening since we were off early the next day.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

ZORBAS Restaurant -Cafe: Good Value for Money, Exquisite tastes!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 25, 2013

Cheers to you all from Zorbas

The restaurant ZORBAS is very popular because of the quality and variety -for this reason it is always full. We came here for dinner the night we stayed at Iakovakis Suites Spa not accidentally but the hotel recommended it to us when we insisted for the Very Best!

LOCATION: It could not be better. In minutes after sunbathing customers can enjoy their lunch or dinner because the restaurant is right on the coast, on the main beachfront road after the central square in Afissos. Besides the amazing cuisine, the highlight of the restaurant is the breathtaking view of the sunset.
    CUISINE: Tasty dishes, big variety, and plenty of local meze.

SERVICE: Impeccable and professional. The owner Stavros is a gentleman, friendly and very discreet towards his customers and I guess this is the reason why people keep coming back. The restaurant is full while in others you barely see a few seats occupied.
    There are people who come here daily especially during the summer months because of the many hotel apartments and studios in the area. It is the kind of restaurant that you don’t have to wait long after the order because there is an excellent service.

MENU: The ‘Dish of the Day’ list is long and interesting and it includes some of the most popular Greek dishes like the Lemon Lamb, Beef and tomato, Soutzoukakia, Lemon chicken, Pastitsio and Mousaka, ‘Gemistsa –Stuffed tomato/perrpers” the popular dish of the area which is Spetsofai, Briam -a vegetarian dish, and the Shrimp pasta. (There are 5 different pasta dishes varying between €5.00 - €10.00.

Of course grilled dishes are on the list, -Pork chops and Steak, Chicken fillet, Kebab and several more.

Zorba’s Appetizer’s list on the other hand is long again and the different appetizers vary from €3.00 - €6.00.
    Seafood like the grilled sardine dish which is very popular in the Greek taverns and restaurants, is a “must try” dish here. It only costs €6.00 and it is amazingly fresh and tasty. The same stands for the Mussel ‘saganaki’ which is at €8.00. Fried squid is at €6.50 and a portion of fried shrimps costs €10.00.

OUR DINNER: We asked for ‘pikilia’ and tsipouro to try multiple dishes but at the same time we asked Stavro to recommend one or two dishes himself. The grilled squid was tender and so fresh that it was a delight. The eggplant salad (melintzanosalata) was yummy, as well as the cheese and tomato saganaki we had.

I was never fond of Sardines before coming to Pelion, and the ones we had here were again the catch of the day and they were superb. Oh yes, how could I forget ‘gavros’ the restaurant’s anchovy! The dish was exceptional. Even the tomato that accompanied the appetizers was very aromatic and tasty.

In all, I can say every dish we had was flavoursome, tender and yummy. If we were to stay longer, this restaurant would have been our hang-out. Considering the tasty dishes we had, the impeccable service, the discreet that Stavros shows to his customers and the nice location, I highly recommend it.

Stavro, keep the high standards and good quality of your products and be yourself like you are. Your cuisine is the best and we thank you for the amazing dinner we had.

Tip: Let the owner indicate some of the best dishes of the day and leave the rest to him.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

To Kentrikon (Cafe Restaurant) Makrinitsa: A dreamy location!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 24, 2013

The location is superb!

The location of this restaurant is superb.

It functions both as a Café and a restaurant serving Traditional Local Dishes.

As a café it is excellent.
    We did not come here for lunch but only had some coffee and dessert.

MENU: Dishes however like Mousaka, the famous Spetsofai, Oven cooked Lamb (ladokola), Pasta and Staffed Tomato and Peppers are included in the menu of the day.

Personally we would have tried it if we hadn’t had arranged to go somewhere else. The place inside was clean and the staff very warm and friendly.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Aleka's Restaurant - Tsagkarada: A Signature Restaurant – Greek Traditional Cuisine

by greekcypriot Written Aug 24, 2013

Dining at Aleka's Restaurant

Aleka’s name is well known in the whole of Tsagkarada and the restaurant is Certified offering Traditional Greek Cuisine.

It is truly a restaurant where one can taste authentic traditional dishes from the hands of the Master Cook, the amazing lady Mrs. Aleka herself whom I happened to meet and had a long chat with. She is an adorable lady, a professional behind her kitchen. The family has recently lost the dear Father, -Aleka’s husband and the family members were in devastating pain.

Lena, the other significant member of the family –the daughter is the “business woman”. Aleka is in the kitchen but everything else that has to do with the restaurant, the supplies and the hotel are under her strict supervision. She is truly a busy lady, -a very sociable person, caring for her customers and she goes around the tables checking if everything is ok. Always with a good word and a smile something that customers appreciate. She is a true professional with capital letters.

As for the young ladies of the family, I have talked with them and they are just adorable as the other two ladies. They offer their precious services now that schools are closed, and they take the orders from the customers, each time with a smile and they are practicing their languages at the same time. An adorable family!
    SERVICE: Excellent service and even when the restaurant was full I noticed that everything was brought to the table with no delays. The guys working behind are impeccable.

LOCATION: I could not think of a better location and so easy to find. It is right above the main road of Tsagkarada at a significant junction. It cannot be missed.

ATMOSPHERE: In summer the restaurant serves out in the beautiful terrace under the shade of a vine arbour and surrounded by lush greenery and colourful plants and flowers. With the first colds and rain the restaurant functions indoors in the beautifully furnished dining room. The summer ambience of the garden is cool and romantic.

CUISINE: Delicious and superb local cuisine and Mrs. Aleka uses exclusively indigenous products and ingredients. The cuisine uses Virgin Olive oil, fresh spice and herbs to bring out natural flavor.

MENU: The menu list is long and includes most of the Greek specialties. Appetizers like cheese salad, taramosalata, garlic dip, tzatziki, and eggplant salad (these are a few to mention) cost between €3.80 to 4.50.
    The grilled feta cheese (the usual saganaki) costs €4.90, but the special one costs €6.80.

SALADS: The Greek Salad is at €7.20 with organic vegetables. Cucumber/tomato salad is at €4.20 and the Special salad of the restaurant which bears the name of the owner (Aleka’s salad) costs €8.80. It’s a salad with beans, lettuce, cucumber, red pepper and caper.
    The list includes one or two dishes which I would love to taste on a next visit. The Wild boar stew (agriogourouno stifado) for example costs €13.00. Veal with mushrooms is another interesting dish which is at €12.30, Rabbit in wine sauce costs €9.80 if I am not mistaken!

BEVERAGE: The restaurant boasts for its local tsipouro so I urge you to try it. We did, and it was nice.

OUR MENU: I tried different appetizers at first in the way of ‘meze’ to accompany our tsipouro. Try the zucchini flowers stuffed in cheese (kolokynthoanthi). They are superb and they are very popular in the Pelion region.
    We tried the Vegetable balls which I loved, but the Cheese rolls were terrific as well.
    We had a nice salad with some cheese topping and (grouton). The vegetables were flavoursome and you could tell that they were fresh. Yummy!

MAIN DISH: I highly recommend the Lamb with spices and the Pork roll stuffed. They were cooked to perfection and both were exquisite. The meatballs with tomato sauce and rice was another dish that my husband liked a lot.

In all, it is a restaurant that I highly recommend. I believe you cannot leave Tsagkarada without dropping by Aleka’s restaurant either for lunch or dinner. It is open the year round from 12:00 pm till late midnight.
    Ladies, you are simply amazing. Keep your high standards and be yourselves….till the next time we meet.

• Seniors

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

' DRYADON GEFSIS ' Agios Lavrentios, Pelion: Exquisite Tastes -Good Value for Money!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 18, 2013

The Upper Level of the restaurant

RESTAURANT: ‘Dryadon Gefsis” is the name of the restaurant and the word ‘gefsis’ means tastes. It is in other words the home of tastes!

During our stay at the village of Agios Lavrentios, we had the opportunity to try the cuisine of this restaurant several times.

The specialties are numerous and surprising for their high quality.
    Several of these dishes are cooked the moment you give the order. Dishes are Mediterranean and local traditional with an artistic flair of nouvelle cuisine. Tastes are divine because the Chef uses exclusively indigenous products and ingredients. All dishes are nicely presented, they are flavoursome and mouthwatering. The cuisine uses exclusively Virgin Olive oil, fresh spice and herbs to bring out natural flavor. There might be one or two other restaurants in the village but honestly, NONE BEATS the culinary flavours and tastes of this specific one.

ATMOSPHERE: The summer months the restaurant serves out in the beautiful terrace which is surrounded by plane and aspen trees and the food is served under the shade of a vine arbour. It is all green outside and the seating arrangement is in two different levels. The upper level overlooks the village’s square while the lower offers a fabulous scene as it overlooks the Pagasetic Gulf and the slopes of Pelion.
    When it gets cold the restaurant functions indoors in the nicely furnished dining room by the fireplace in the property’s restaurant. You see, the restaurant “Dryadon Gefsis” belongs to the owners of the Hotel “DRYADES”
    Through the large double glazed windows that go round the living room and extend out to the dining lounge, guests can enjoy breathtaking views from the comfort of the warm interior and enjoy a beverage from the bar. Carpets beautify the ground floor creating the atmosphere of a warm country lodge.

MENU: Ask Dimitri to recommend some of his amazing dishes and choose. There are more than 20 appetizers to choose from. Tip: Ask for ‘pikilia’ and expect several dishes in small portions to have the opportunity to taste several.

Highly recommended are the cooked specialties of this cuisine. You can try the Goat meat Oven baked (gida gastras) it is an exceptional Greek dish. The other dish I recommend is the Anklebone of veal meat with caramel sauce. “Kleftiko or Exohiko or the Meat Veal with chestnuts. You will be thrilled with the taste and flavor and surely want to be back.
    Of course there are the summertime specialties like (Pastitsio, Mousaka, Gemista –staffed vegetables with rice and minced meat) fresh beans and more. These are just as popular as the above and they are even cheaper. Have in mind that a meal here is not expensive like in other restaurants in the area. Even though the standards of the cuisine are high, yet you will be surprised with the low price. It surely worth to give it a try.

BEVERAGE: The list of wines and beer is long but the local home’s wine is just as good and I highly recommend it. It is the cheapest alternative, cheap and excellent.

DESSERT: The high quality ingredients guarantee the best flavor. The restaurant’s homemade delicacies are exquisite as well. You can end your meal with ‘loukoumades’ –honey balls sprinkled with cinnamon. Even yoghurt here tastes differently. Have it with honey and walnuts, or ask for ‘ravani’ a Greek dessert. At restaurants it is usually served with a ball of ice cream.
    Of course I could go on and on because I got excited with the quality and taste of every single dish we had here. Everything is cooked to perfection, reasonable cost, and hospitality beyond compare. Guests will not leave disappointed.

Dimitri keep the good work and high standards just as you do right now. We shall be back and can’t wait to see you all again.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Taverna AGNANTI - Tsagkarada: Creative cuisine, -Tasting the Menu is a Challenge

by greekcypriot Written Aug 16, 2013

Taverna Agnanti -Highly recommended

I came across this restaurant after reading comments and searching for the best in Tsagkarada.
    Through the many years of traveling and after visiting more than 37 countries, I have learnt to appreciate good food. I have become a food travel enthusiast and a good restaurant critic with much taste and experience. You see, with experience comes confidence. Through traveling I seek out and sample all cuisines no matter how weird they are. Of course I have heard through acquaintances about the amazing owners, of this place here, Maria Hose and Costantinos and wanted so much to meet them and taste some of their remarkable dishes since I was in the area.

LOCATION: The restaurant is at a unique location at a major point of the square of Taxiarche. If you come down the steps to the square you will see the tables of the tavern on the right hand side. The perennial plane trees, the central fountain and the gurgling water of the fountain create the unique ambience in which to enjoy a nice meal. I still remember the beauty of the surround area, and the uniqueness of each dish of this tavern.

SERVICE: Extremely attentive, warm and professional.

CUISINE: Traditional Mediterranean and local dishes are presented with an artistic flair of nouvelle cuisine. The taste of food is divine because the cuisine uses exclusively indigenous products and ingredients. Constantinos Panos as a skillful Chef works miracles in his kitchen. He knows well the importance of presentation, the mixing of smells, textures and flavours. The result is the satisfaction of each and every customer. Besides the Olive Virgin oil used here, fresh spices are used extensively to bring out the natural flavor of the fresh vegetables and pastas that are served in the restaurant.

THE MENU: Appetizers start from €2.50 to €6.00. I recommend that you try ‘melitzanopourekakia’ mixed with ricotta and walnuts. They are amazing. The herb cheese pie is also great. The courgette/zucchini cream with yoghurt and onion is so refreshing and light, but also ask Maria to indicate some of the mushroom dishes if mushrooms are your favourite. The recipes are exquisite!

We had a bottle of Diofili, from a Siatista winery, (but I was not thrilled) A cheaper alternative is to ask for local wine brought in a carafe. Half kilo white costs €3.50 and the red is at €4.00.

Pasta dishes rank from €9.00 to €14.00. Try the farfalle with chicken, mushrooms and fennel for €11.00 but I believe next time I would love to try the black tagliatelle with smoked salmon, salmon eggs and dill for €14.00. I am not a pasta fan myself I can say but the ones we had were heavenly. I don’t remember another time enjoying pasta so much.

In all, I have to admit that all dishes and everything we had were nicely cooked and prepared right the moment of order. So, if you are after good food and look for high quality and taste this is the right spot for you. Maria is an excellent host, an amazing lady and a professional. Thank you so much for what you are Maria. The two of you keep the good work up to the high standards you have them now. See you again when we return to Tsagkarada.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

A Steady Value –Exquisite tastes, Top of the Top!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 14, 2013

Lunch at

Kritsa is a Signature restaurant and the very best in the area, ideal for people who really understand about ‘Good Food’. Don’t expect anything fancy or gourmet dishes. Come for original tastes and flavors but also for the ambience. What makes the restaurant top is the simplicity and quality of the recipes, the natural ingredients, the local meat and fresh vegetables from the round area.

CUISINE: Authentic Greek home-cooked cuisine that stimulates the senses. It is the restaurant where I can say I truly tasted the ‘authentic’ Pelion dishes. There is a big variety to choose from and everything is cooked in virgin olive oil. We have tried several savoury dishes out here and enjoyed them that much that we returned the next day again.

LOCATION: The main restaurant which is on the ground floor of a neoclassical three-storey building is located at the most major point of the delightful main square of the village.

RESTAURANT: The high-ceilinged interior has a traditional discrete décor and a dominating fireplace ideal for the cold winter months. The exterior setting is idyllic and very impressive, surrounded by huge plants of colourful hortensias, under the perennial plane trees and the gurgling of water. What a delight it is to sit outside under these huge plane trees and enjoy your meal!

SERVICE: Warm, Professional and impeccable. Even in rush hours the service is quick and effective without leaving customers to wait.

MENU: The normal menu list is brought to the customer but it is also accompanied with an extra page that indicates the ‘dishes of the day’. Have in mind that the restaurant is extremely popular so it is advisable to reserve a table if you plan coming here during the weekend.

The dishes we had were cooked to perfection and everything was nicely presented. The quality also was superb. We asked for several local traditional dishes which came in smaller portions like ‘meze’. I cannot say that it is an expensive restaurant judging and comparing prices with others. I highly believe that no other can compete Kritsa anyhow! No wonder why the restaurant has received the Certificate of Excellence again this year.

VARIETY: If you check below you will get a rough idea of the different dishes and the cost. Cold Appetizers for instance rank between €4.50 -€5.00. The pies of the day are a marvel and you should definitely taste one or two. They only cost €5.00 each. Salads rank from €4.50 to €7.50.

I highly recommend that you try the local traditional dishes coming from Pelion. The recipes are original and they are unbeatable. Nowhere else in any restaurant around Pelion we came across with such amazing tastes. The freshness and colour can be seen even in the photos!
    Wild greens with eggs cost €8.00. Don’t miss the popular “Spetsofai”. It is flavoursome and the best we have had in Pelion. You can get it at €8.00. Lamp in tomato and handmade pasta is at €10.00 and the Fried Pork (tigania) costs €10.00. We did try the Lamp boned cooked in ceramic pot (arni sti gastra) –it is out of this world! (€11.00).

I cannot say that I tried the Rooster or the Rabbit dish but these are the ones I will order on a coming visit. Both cost €9.00. Have in mind that dessert comes as a treat to the customer so you have better leave some space for it as well.

All 16 days that we were touring around Pelion and tasting the local dishes I have to admit that the tastes, the variety and the amazing people of the Kritsa won our hearts. We extended our stay and spent one extra night at the hotel of Kritsa before returning home. (Check for my review).

Eleni and her sister Nikkie are both adorable, and the restaurant is the landmark of Portaria. Keep the good work up girls and respect your customers like you do. You are the top and you deserve it in every way. See you soon.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

PARIS Taverna: GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY – UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST!

by greekcypriot Updated Aug 12, 2013

Fresh and tasty

What can I say about Pari’s tavern! The people running it are professionals and this shows. It is the favorite and most popular tavern in Kala Nera. I noticed how people wait patiently in line for a table. (check my photo)

We went to the tavern a bit early as I wanted to take photos of the beautiful sunset and in minutes the tables were full while the nearby taverns and restaurants were open but with very few customers.
    This restaurant has a very good reputation simply because of the family’s concern about each and every customer. It is a steady value.

My tip when you come here is to ask for starters to accompany your ‘tsipouro’ or wine. You cannot leave this place without tasting it. The variety is rich and everything is nicely cooked with the freshest ingredients. It is a family business with Pari being the cook and Christo his brother welcoming and serving the customers. I watched the way Christo approaches customers and how people react. Christo was telling me that customers keep coming back for years and I was convinced with a chat I had with some tourists sitting close to our table. When they left, others came and we also had a chat with them.

You can ask for “pelioritikous mezedes” small portions to taste. There are so many that you surely don’t want to miss. Leave it up to them and it is a guarantee that you will be satisfied. If you don’t like tsipouro you can ask for some local wine. It is brought in a carafe and it is much cheaper and good. (Avoid bottled wine)

I wanted so much to meet the cook so I went inside and met the whole family. It was here that I found about a hotel the family owes at Milina “Ikosimo” so a few days later we booked there for one night. We regretted it that we could not stay longer but it was full already.

Both the hotel and the village did not disappoint us at all. Milina is a “must visit” destination and the hotel very nice and good value for money. It is only a 2 minute walk to the beach. Sunsets from here are breathtaking and beach umbrellas and chairs are free. We loved this place and the people here, that we are thinking of starting from Milina which is in the southern part and moving upwards to the slopes of Pelion on our coming trip in autumn. You will meet Maria here, -Pari’s wife who will immediately make you feel welcome. (Check for my review about the hotel)

Finally, I highly recommend Paris tavern for its amazing owners, staff and high quality of their local dishes.
    Thank you guys for the beautiful evening we had here. Keep the good work up…..you are simply the best.*

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Taverna " O STATHIS ": Excellent food, Impeccable Service!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 11, 2013

The Taverna 'STATHIS'

“Stathis” is a signature restaurant in the village of Milina with a history behind. The owners are amazing people and Sophia an excellent cook and they have been running it since 1983. Sophia is the master in her kitchen and her dishes are yummy. The cuisine serves mainly traditional Mediterranean dishes and Seafood.

I advise that you ask for ‘meze’ or a ‘pikilia’ if you are coming here for the first time. This is mostly what we do when we come to a restaurant for the first time. In this way we can taste from a variety, (smaller portions of course) and if we like something we either return again or order a whole portion that moment. ‘Spetsofai’ is a local dish that you can find it in the whole of Pelion. I found the one here exceptional. The sausages in the dish were juicy and the green papers flavorsome.

Sophia was telling me that all Vegetables she uses come from local gardens, and seafood is the catch of the day. Sea shells were alive and were moving the moment I put some lemon on. What a delicacy! Traditional local dishes –magirefta is the Greek word. Dishes like mousaka, pastitsio, briam, staffed tomatoes and peppers are also served here.

Seafood -shells, sardines, anchovy, octopus and squid are the most popular in Greek taverns. You should know that snappers, red mullets, sword fish, and fish of this class do cost a lot both in Greece and in Europe but of course one can do with just as good fish and pay less if he knows what to order.

Grilled sardines are popular in tavernas and restaurants and if they are truly fresh, they are a ‘must try’ dish -not to mention how nutrient they are. The ones we had were cooked to perfection. The owners pointed out that they had purchased everything minutes before we got to the restaurant and it was true. We could tell that from the taste, the colour and flavor. Anchovy (gavros) is another popular and cheap fish you can try.

The fresh steamed mussels were fantastic, and I had the whole dish to myself that night. Sardines were heavenly –the best I had for days. The grilled octopus was tender and juicy to perfection. Don’t miss Sophia’s oregano burgers especially if you are vegetarian. Between us there are several alternatives for vegetarians –a combination of unbeatable starters that you can try here.

Nicely set right on the waterfront, the tavern has a nice ambience and you can hear the waves and the tide of water splashing on the coast while you enjoy your meal. Prices are ok and it is not considered an expensive restaurant. Be sure to bring along your camera to catch the breathtaking sunset.

There was a dinner party, a reunion actually of friends coming from different parts of Europe and they had it here at Stathis taverna. I watched how professional the kitchen staff was and all 30 probably more customers were served shortly after they gave their order. The cuisine met their requests and everybody was satisfied judging from the hugs and smiles. It was obvious that they did have a good time like we did.

We will surely return because of the impeccable service, the tasty and delicious dishes and the beautiful village. Thank you Sophia and Stathis for the nice company you kept us that night.

• Wine Tasting

The Catch of the Day, Good Value for Money,

by greekcypriot Written Aug 8, 2013

The restaurant's forefront

When you come to the Seafood Restaurant “POSEIDONAS” expect to find the freshest seafood in the village.

LOCATION: Could not be better. You enjoy your swim in the best beach of Agios Ioannis and in minutes you are opposite the restaurant enjoying your lunch or dinner.

The owners are fishermen and they have their own catch each day not depending on the market. Everything is fresh and smells sea!
    The owner Mrs. Zina is the cook and in charge of the restaurant. You will see the whole family keeping busy here. They are professionals in every way.

“Poseidonas” has repeaters and frequent customers for years. The restaurant is ideal for people who are after quality, taste, impeccable service, and nothing but the best. I believe it has the whole package.

If you happen to be there, ask for the Fish soup of the day. It is unbelievably tasty and it costs €10.00.
    We asked for local meze and tsipouro. I am always after local food when I am out. You see up here in Pelion there are several dishes that you can find nowhere else. If you happen to find them elsewhere, they have the name but they are not authentic.

WINE: If you are after wine, ask for the restaurant’s wine. It is just as good as the bottled one, -probably better and cheaper. Otherwise ask to taste tsipouro which comes in two versions. It is either Ouzo or tsipouro. The latter is supposed to be a bit stronger! It usually comes with a bowl of ice cubes. If these are not brought you can ask for it.

MEZE: If you come here for the first time I suggest that you have some meze or pikilia as we Greeks call it. You will have a variety of different starters or appetizers and the next time you are here ask to have what you liked in a normal portion.

Indeed we loved everything here. I still remember the staffed zucchini flowers (kolokythoanthous) -€7.30. They were nicely presented, colorful and exceedingly tasty.

THE MENU: There are about 12 different appetizers to choose from. (Spetsofai, it is a dish served in Pelion and it is not to be missed. As an appetizer it costs €5.00. Fried Zucchinis are at €4.50, Kopanisti at €2.80.

FRESH FISH: The red mullet is at €55.00 the kg. Fresh Sardines (portion) cost €9.00. Fresh Cod is at €40 the kg.
    Of course there are much cheaper dishes which are ideal for vegetarians also. The red or the giant beans, the Okra dish, or Briam, all cost €7.00. Fried Potatoes cost €2.80.

DRINKS: Beers are between €2.00 and €2.50. Tsipouro 50ml is at €2.50.

TIP: Don’t be misled if you don’t see crowds here. It is not because the restaurant is not good or because it is expensive. It is because hotel owners recommend the restaurant they wish to promote and direct their guests to go there. I had been watching all this ridiculous thing happening throughout my stay up to Pelion. During my stay I asked for help and judging myself afterwards I went to the one I thought it was good not relying completely on directions from these people.

Secondly tell the owner what exactly you have in mind to order but also give him the opportunity to recommend possible other things that you might not know. You won’t be disappointed I am sure.

Wi Fi is free in the restaurant grounds.

In all, I highly recommend it. What we had was of high quality, excellent service, and the dishes we tried were all great.*

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

" O GALEOS" Ouzeri, tavern and Restaurant: Impeccable Service, Tasty Food!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 8, 2013

Lunch at Galeos

The restaurant is very popular located on the main beach road of Agios Ioannis. We came here for lunch one of the 3 days we were in Mouresi.

CUISINE: Tasty dishes, big variety, and plenty of local meze.

SERVICE: Impeccable and professional service. The guys there are simply unbelievable. They are quick and don’t leave the customer wait. They are alert, but most alert is Stathis who is the owner of this business. You will see him all over, supervising and socializing with his customers.

LOCATION: Could not be better. You enjoy your swim and in minutes you are opposite the restaurant enjoying your lunch or dinner.

MENU: The restaurant is also an ‘ouzeri and a grill house” you will find a huge variety of everything.
    Starters (23 in all) rank from €3.50 to €7.00 (the octopus burgers)
    I don’t highly recommend them because you can ask for grilled octopus instead which is more popular and costs €12. But of course starters like cheese pies, eggplant salad, pan fried feta with tomato and pepper are much cheaper and very tasty.
    Salads rank from €3.50 (cabbage –carrots salad and the lettuce salad) but the Greek salad -tomato, cucumber, onion and feta cheese is at €6.00. If you love dried mackerel, ask for this salad. We had it and it was amazing. It costs €7.00.
    Seafood: Ranking between €4.50 and €12.00. There are 16 different dishes to taste out of the menu list.
    The big fish are expensive since they are all fresh and they rank from €7.00 the portion of Sardins and Anchovy, to €65.00. Variety of fish like, black sea beam, sword fish, red mullet, koutsomoura, bass and many more.
    Of course the restaurant serves sis kebab (souvlaki) –pork and chicken, grilled burgers are €7.00, Snitchel chicken at €8.00 and many more.
    Greek Traditional Dishes rank from €6.50 stuffed tomato and peppers with rice, Mousaka for €7.00, the local Spetsofai for €7.50, Mussels with rice (midopilafo) at €8.50 and others.

TIP: Tell the owner what you like to have out of the menu list but also let him recommend one or two himself. He won’t disappoint you I am sure.

In all, I highly recommend it, considering the tasty dishes we had, the impeccable service, and its nice location.*

Instant Answers: Oros Pilion

Comments

Oros Pilion Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oros Pilion restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oros Pilion sightseeing.