Oros Pilion Tourist Traps

• Tourist Traps
    by nickandchris

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Oros Pilion

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

CHANIA Village -Ideal for Winter NOT for Summer!

by greekcypriot Written Aug 28, 2013

Local products

Before the trip to Pelion I had an extensive search regarding the different villages of Pelion trying to spot the real beautiful ones to spend 2 or three days, in an attempt to avoid unexpected surprises.

When I came across the village of Chania, I was uncertain if it was a good idea to book here or not. Of course Chania is popular in winter…..but how about summer!

So the reason I write this is to let travelers know that the location is fine for winter holidays because the little village is only 2kms from the ski centre and there are also a few taverns in the village but unfortunately there is nothing more to see or do here.

During the summer months if you book here you should have a car. There is not much to see and do here unless you use it as your base but still this is not the best idea.

Locals still sell their products –herbs, desserts, honey, just like in winter, but that’s all. Most of the big hotels remain close and they have them open again in winter. Seeing the big hotels closed you feel like everyone has abandoned the place.

The small village of Chania is mainly recommended as a Stop only (during the summer months). A stop for a drink or for lunch or simply to unwind but most tourists and travelers move on.

Taverns or Coffee shops happen to be on both the sides of the main road so it is easy to park the car at the side of the road stop for a while, probably buy something and drive off.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Eco-Tourism

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Portaria

by nickandchris Written Apr 16, 2005

Portaria

I don't know whether it's the norm in the mountain villages of Pilion but we were charged well over the odds for a beer and coke in Portaria.

Unique Suggestions: We felt we had been "ripped off" and it put us off stopping in other villages.
    I suppose we are true Brits and didn't complain; it was just one of those things.

• Beer Tasting

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Easily Led

by nickandchris Written Apr 15, 2005

I don't know whether anyone else would call Makrinitsa a tourist trap but there is plenty of "tat" to buy. I can't imagine all these bottled fruits etc. were made in Makrinitsa.

Unique Suggestions: Watch what you pay. Come forearmed with prices from elsewhere.

I may be completely wrong about this!!

Fun Alternatives: Buy where you know where a product has come from.

Instant Answers: Oros Pilion

Comments

Oros Pilion Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Oros Pilion tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oros Pilion sightseeing.